2016 GT suspension recommendations

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the Pilot Super Sport seems a bit on the extreme side haha. Also, doesn't look like it's available in 285/35R19. So the Goldilocks predicament continues.
I've been able to find more tires that are 285/30R19 & 305/30R19 than 285/35R19 & 305/35R19. Would there be issues running a 285/30R19 on the front? Only issue I can see is it might be less comfortable.
They're no more so than what you planned in the Pilot Sport 4S. The 4S is technically the replacement for the super sport, but the SS is still an absolutely amazing tire that they still produce. 285/30r19 is really small. I don't think you'd want those. I'd look at 275/35R19 first as an alternative to 285/35R19, or even consider PS4S fronts and PSS rears.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Gotcha!

So the first parts to install would be the wheels, FP Strut Tower Brace, FP Track Shock & Tower kit, BMR IRS Cradle, BMR Handling Springs (SP083) and the Steeda Control Arm/Bumpsteer kit.
Then later on the BMR Rear Shock Mount, BMR Bearing Kit for the lower rear control arm and GT350 Sway Bars
That would be a very solid foundation IMO. And it's been tried. I don't think you'd be disappointed. If you wanted to do something with the bar, get a stiffer front and start off on the soft (outer) hole. Keep the rear stock and see how it is.

I'm not saying you need to get the SP083s necessarily. Only that you need a stiffer rate. However, I do think it would work well. It's a reasonable drop only 7/8" front and 3/4" rear. High linear rate, and less geometry change over stock because it's not slammed.

Another spring that I think would work well is the Steeda sport linear (200/800 rates and 1"drop). That would not ride quite as firm obviously and drops the car a bit more. However, I think it is no surprise that the two best outgoing handling springs for mass produced aftermarket dampers for S550 (i.e. not custom or coilover) is the BMR SP083 and Steeda Dual Rate. Those are the go-to. Both drop the car around 3/4". For handling purposes keep the drop modest is important.

OP
OP
HourlyB

HourlyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
They're no more so than what you planned in the Pilot Sport 4S. The 4S is technically the replacement for the super sport, but the SS is still an absolutely amazing tire that they still produce. 285/30r19 is really small. I don't think you'd want those. I'd look at 275/35R19 first as an alternative to 285/35R19, or even consider PS4S fronts and PSS rears.
My bad, I was thinking of the Pilot Sport Cup, which is the only tire available in 285/35R19 and 305/35R19. Not sure if I want a tire that's half a slick and over $400 each. The Pilot Super Sports actually look pretty much perfect in 275/35R19 and 305/35R19.

That would be a very solid foundation IMO. And it's been tried. I don't think you'd be disappointed. If you wanted to do something with the bar, get a stiffer front and start off on the soft (outer) hole. Keep the rear stock and see how it is.

I'm not saying you need to get the SP083s necessarily. Only that you need a stiffer rate. However, I do think it would work well. It's a reasonable drop only 7/8" front and 3/4" rear. High linear rate, and less geometry change over stock because it's not slammed.

Another spring that I think would work well is the Steeda sport linear (200/800 rates and 1"drop). That would not ride quite as firm obviously and drops the car a bit more. However, I think it is no surprise that the two best outgoing handling springs for mass produced aftermarket dampers for S550 (i.e. not custom or coilover) is the BMR SP083 and Steeda Dual Rate. Those are the go-to. Both drop the car around 3/4". For handling purposes keep the drop modest is important.
Yeah, a large drop does lower the CoG, but it changes the suspension geometry and raises the risk of bottoming out, plus snow.

Thanks for all the advice, I've already put a list together on Google Docs so I absolutely won't lose it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Don't get stuck on the notion of needing a rear tire size that starts with a 3 for street duty, or overlook the possibility of using 295/35-19's specifically for a little less stagger. 305 vs 275 for 30mm stagger is still quite a lot, especially for any non-forced induction car. Keep in mind that the PP2 cars come with 10.5" front and 11" rear wheel widths and 305/30-19 tires all around.

Those SP083 springs are roughly comparable to GT350R rates (rear springs are actually a bit firmer than the R). The wheel rates all fall in the 215 - 240 lb/in range which is somewhat firm without being harsh. I'm also in the "less drop = better" camp, partly for geometry reasons and partly because lowering the CG doesn't gain you as much benefit as the resulting change in appearance may lead you to expect.

You're not all that far from the Thompson or Whiskey Hill (Palmer) road courses. Or the road course at NHMS once you get past the greater Boston area.

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Pilot Super Sports are being phased out for the Pilot Sport 4 S, which is definitely available in 285/35R19.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HourlyB

HourlyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Don't get stuck on the notion of needing a rear tire size that starts with a 3 for street duty, or overlook the possibility of using 295/35-19's specifically for a little less stagger. 305 vs 275 for 30mm stagger is still quite a lot, especially for any non-forced induction car. Keep in mind that the PP2 cars come with 10.5" front and 11" rear wheel widths and 305/30-19 tires all around.

Those SP083 springs are roughly comparable to GT350R rates (rear springs are actually a bit firmer than the R). The wheel rates all fall in the 215 - 240 lb/in range which is somewhat firm without being harsh. I'm also in the "less drop = better" camp, partly for geometry reasons and partly because lowering the CG doesn't gain you as much benefit as the resulting change in appearance may lead you to expect.

You're not all that far from the Thompson or Whiskey Hill (Palmer) road courses. Or the road course at NHMS once you get past the greater Boston area.

Norm
Just for context, I'm looking at TireRack for the most part, and going by what you mentioned, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in a set up of 295/30R19 on 19x10 wheels at the front and 305/30R19 on 19x11 wheels at the rear would be reasonable.

I'm interested in trying out Lime Rock Park sometime, but I do have my eyes on Thompson. Palmer terrifies me because it has no run off and some of the corners are cushioned via granite coated with tires.

Pilot Super Sports are being phased out for the Pilot Sport 4 S, which is definitely available in 285/35R19.
They are, but not in 305/35R19. Only 305 size is 305/30R19, which is smaller than a 285/35R19 by over half a inch.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just for context, I'm looking at TireRack for the most part, and going by what you mentioned, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in a set up of 295/30R19 on 19x10 wheels at the front and 305/30R19 on 19x11 wheels at the rear would be reasonable.

I'm interested in trying out Lime Rock Park sometime, but I do have my eyes on Thompson. Palmer terrifies me because it has no run off and some of the corners are cushioned via granite coated with tires.

They are, but not in 305/35R19. Only 305 size is 305/30R19, which is smaller than a 285/35R19 by over half a inch.
305/30R19 is what most people run for 11" wide wheels. 285/35R19 for 10" wheels. 295/30R19 is short.

If you're serious about track time, look into a square setup 10"F/10"R instead of a staggered 10"F/11"R. Wider rear tires won't improve the handling, and your tire costs will be higher due to not being able to rotate wheels to even out tire wear. You can even do square 11" wide wheels with 305 tires, but its a bit more involved, requiring camber plates and extended studs with slip on 25mm spacers to accommodate for an 11" wide ET~50 wheel on the front of the car.

Look into track insurance if you decide to go. its often pretty reasonably priced and its nice to have some backup in case something does happen.

OP
OP
HourlyB

HourlyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
305/30R19 is what most people run for 11" wide wheels. 285/35R19 for 10" wheels. 295/30R19 is short.

If you're serious about track time, look into a square setup 10"F/10"R instead of a staggered 10"F/11"R. Wider rear tires won't improve the handling, and your tire costs will be higher due to not being able to rotate wheels to even out tire wear. You can even do square 11" wide wheels with 305 tires, but its a bit more involved, requiring camber plates and extended studs with slip on 25mm spacers to accommodate for an 11" wide ET~50 wheel on the front of the car.

Look into track insurance if you decide to go. its often pretty reasonably priced and its nice to have some backup in case something does happen.
Unfortunately, I've already got two 19x11 F14's, so unless I decide to sell them, I'm a bit stuck to a 305 tire. I would figure that a 305 tire would hook better exiting a corner than a 285, as well as preventing tail-happiness.
Selling them wouldn't be that hard, they are still in the box, but I would hope to avoid that faff.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, I've already got two 19x11 F14's, so unless I decide to sell them, I'm a bit stuck to a 305 tire. I would figure that a 305 tire would hook better exiting a corner than a 285, as well as preventing tail-happiness.
Selling them wouldn't be that hard, they are still in the box, but I would hope to avoid that faff.
The suspension setup will help you hook up the power exiting a corner, and a wider rear tire on a car like the Mustang will just make it tend to understeer. They need as much front tire as they can get. You could run a 285/35R19 on that wheel, too. The stretch will help with response and will make breakaway at the limit more progressive/smooth.

I'd look at a square 19x10 setup personally, on 285/35R19 PS4S. You'll have plenty of grip, good handling and it won't break the bank. The SVE R357 is a similar style to what you're looking at.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you’ve already got the pair of 11s, Run em with some 285s on the front for at least one set of tires (a year), and then you can reevaluate then. It probably won’t turn as well with the 285s up front and wider rubber in the rear, but it will certainly be good enough for a lot of drivers. Running square 285s stretched on the 11s is interesting, I don’t know if I could talk my self into it, usually you want the stretch on the front for steering sharpness, idk why you’d want much stretch on the rear tire.

Square 11s is where it’s at tho. Doooo iiiiit.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you’ve already got the pair of 11s, Run em with some 285s for at least one set of tires (a year), and then you can reevaluate then. It probably won’t turn as well with the 285s up front and wider rubber in the rear, but it will certainly be good enough for a lot of drivers. Running square 285s stretched on the 11s is interesting, I don’t know if I could talk my self into it, usually you want the stretch on the front for steering sharpness, idk why you’d want much stretch on the rear tire.

Same reason Ford did it on the PP2. Smoother breakaway characteristics.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Same reason Ford did it on the PP2. Smoother breakaway characteristics.
Isn’t the PP2 a 305 on an 11” wheel in the rear?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Isn’t the PP2 a 305 on an 11” wheel in the rear?
Yeah my bad, true. It's a wider wheel for the same tire but arguably the 10.5" is a tad small for the 305.

OP
OP
HourlyB

HourlyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
The suspension setup will help you hook up the power exiting a corner, and a wider rear tire on a car like the Mustang will just make it tend to understeer. They need as much front tire as they can get. You could run a 285/35R19 on that wheel, too. The stretch will help with response and will make breakaway at the limit more progressive/smooth.

I'd look at a square 19x10 setup personally, on 285/35R19 PS4S. You'll have plenty of grip, good handling and it won't break the bank. The SVE R357 is a similar style to what you're looking at.
I think I might, depends on if I can find someone to buy the 19x11's on facebook or eBay or some such. I did get them at a discount, so I might technically be able to make a small amount of money at them. Not much, but still.

If you’ve already got the pair of 11s, Run em with some 285s on the front for at least one set of tires (a year), and then you can reevaluate then. It probably won’t turn as well with the 285s up front and wider rubber in the rear, but it will certainly be good enough for a lot of drivers. Running square 285s stretched on the 11s is interesting, I don’t know if I could talk my self into it, usually you want the stretch on the front for steering sharpness, idk why you’d want much stretch on the rear tire.

I think I'm already streching the fitment with a 10 inch wheel at the front, a 11 might be too much to still be usable.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think I might, depends on if I can find someone to buy the 19x11's on facebook or eBay or some such. I did get them at a discount, so I might technically be able to make a small amount of money at them. Not much, but still.

I think I'm already streching the fitment with a 10 inch wheel at the front, a 11 might be too much to still be usable.
As mentioned before, 10" fronts fit quite easily with proper offset (+35-40), and that size can be used front and rear.
Sponsored