1st Mods on 2020 GT500

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
You laugh, but Jaeger brothers and ZL1 add-ons make rock guards that are small mud flaps that keep the rocks that fly off your sticky tires from hitting your car. I have used them both and Jaeger Bros are a superior product IMHO.
I was just joking around with you Tom--- I will google a photo of the Jaegermeister ones and take a look at them. Thank You.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
ZL1 makes high quality stuff. They are most famous for their tow hooks as most of us use them. They are well known in the community. I highly recommend them.
The Jaeger Bros shields are held on by wind lace, clamped on the fender edge.... I can’t believe I bought a second set after the first fell off. Wish I had known about the ZL1’s sooner.
Just don't use them on the track. Heck, I've got a brand new set of ZL1s that I would never install. I'll cut you a break on them.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The OEM 2020 GT500 wheels are Flow Formed, they are suppose to be lighter and stronger than cast wheels.

I'm familiar with flow forming. Great wheels such as the 6GR use that process. I used them once on the track and never used them again. They are not as strong as forged but certainly good street wheels.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
I'm familiar with flow forming. Great wheels such as the 6GR use that process. I used them once on the track and never used them again. They are not as strong as forged but certainly good street wheels.
How are they weight wise?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
How are they weight wise?
They are a compromise. Better than cast and not as good as forged. Forged are stronger than form flow and form flow may or may not be as strong as cast depending on manufacture and design.

In terms of weight and strength...
1. Carbon fiber
2. Forged
3. Form flow (spun forged)
4. Cast

Forged is just a bit heavier than CF (depending on design). There have been numerous threads comparing the two.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Just don't use them on the track. Heck, I've got a brand new set of ZL1s that I would never install. I'll cut you a break on them.
Need them on the track to reduce those black streaks on the side... :like:
- When installed, had no streaks at all.
If they fit the GT500, I’ll take ‘em. Was thinking of ordering a set, but wondering if the fender liner-to-fender mounting pins will be different....
Circling back to a previous comment I made about starting a thread where we list parts that “should” fit, and ones are are confirmed to fit. For example; I bought jacking rails as I’m 95+% sure those will be the same. Ditto for braided brake lines (2015-2019 Mustangs use the same brake lines). XPEL headlight covers are exactly the same as the GT350. So I have those as well.
What else??

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
If they fit the GT500, I’ll take ‘em. Was thinking of ordering a set, but wondering if the fender liner-to-fender mounting pins will be different....
Circling back to a previous comment I made about starting a thread where we list parts that “should” fit, and ones are are confirmed to fit. For example; I bought jacking rails as I’m 95+% sure those will be the same. Ditto for braided brake lines (2015-2019 Mustangs use the same brake lines). XPEL headlight covers are exactly the same as the GT350. So I have those as well.
What else??
I just want to know wheel size and offsets to get them ordered before build date

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
What else??
Yea, the tire boogers..... I have a full Xpel wrap and isopropyl alcohol takes the streaks right off.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I have a full Xpel wrap and isopropyl alcohol takes the streaks right off.
Tomster: I have a good friend who runs an Xpel business and he has done five or six of my vehicles but none of them were FULL WRAPS! Whoo boy, that had to cost some serious moolah. My bud did a full wrap on his C7.

We did my '14 from the doors forwarded but had to do the hood...twice. Those damn vinyl stripes just didn't agree with the film so we pulled the film and stripes, put down a new piece on the hood, then added the stripes back..(ANOTHER expensive purchase.)

I'm glad I did it but, I regularly wish I could get to the clear coat under it for continued polishing. I expect I'll do the same or similar with the '20 but I may not do the hood other than a short piece about a foot back from the nose.

So, do you plan to have a full wrap done on your new beauty?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tomster: I have a good friend who runs an Xpel business and he has done five or six of my vehicles but none of them were FULL WRAPS! Whoo boy, that had to cost some serious moolah. My bud did a full wrap on his C7.

We did my '14 from the doors forwarded but had to do the hood...twice. Those damn vinyl stripes just didn't agree with the film so we pulled the film and stripes, put down a new piece on the hood, then added the stripes back..(ANOTHER expensive purchase.)

I'm glad I did it but, I regularly wish I could get to the clear coat under it for continued polishing. I expect I'll do the same or similar with the '20 but I may not do the hood other than a short piece about a foot back from the nose.

So, do you plan to have a full wrap done on your new beauty?
A full xpel wrap on a 350R runs about 5k. It should be the same for the 500 give or take. I have my guy looking into it now and havent heard back. However, yes, it is planned.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
One thing to remember too, wheels are a wear part! Yep. Now a casual HPDE and autocrosser who DD's his or her car probably will never reach that limit in 2 lifetimes even on factory wheels. But if you're serious about tracking and motorsports, there's no reason to not get the best wheel you can get. And brakes. Now my previous car had flow formed wheels and they held up perfectly fine through years of autocross and 40,000 miles. But once I got a set of fully forged wheels, I can't go back. There's also varying degrees of quality in casting and flow forming too, hell even forging. Forgestar, Apex, Enkei, Konig, TSW (assholes though), O.Z., etc are all very reasonable products at a good price. But get on a set of fully forged wheels and you'd be shocked at the differences.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The GT350 ones.
Many thanks, Tomster. I think I'll wait until the first vehicles start getting produced and then see if Jaeger or ZL1 introduces a specific product for the new car. If not, I'll try the 350's..thanks.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Many thanks, Tomster. I think I'll wait until the first vehicles start getting produced and then see if Jaeger or ZL1 introduces a specific product for the new car. If not, I'll try the 350's..thanks.
Sure thing. Oh btw, how did you get a VIN and date so fast?

CFTP, right?

OP
OP
1stMustang-GT500

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Other then weight what are the benefits of forged vs stock base rims?

Street driving, potentially a few 1/4 pulls.