Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 - Hand's On Walkaround!

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
9.5:1 CR...lol. Welcome to the industrial revolution. This is 2019 home boy. I legitimately believe the CR will be in the low 10's.

EDIT: Just saw that preview post. Is that final or still pre prod?
womp womp woooomp ;)
Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Helluva power plant. But a sad interior considering this is the Alpha Dog. Pretty much like any other Mustang.

Don’t get why there are two calipers on the rear brake. Weird.
But we get white accents! lol Who thought that was a good idea?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I got the chance to see it at the DFW auto show. Those 5 inch exhaust tips... videos / pics don't do it justice. They look massive in person, as do the the front brake discs and calipers. It's a stunner, especially with the exposed CF wheels, paint color, grille design, and the hood. Love the hood! I didn't particularly like the look of the big wing, but since it's functional for track use it is what it is. I would NOT put one on my lowly GT, as I think it would come off a bit awkward.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
But we get white accents! lol Who thought that was a good idea?
I get using a neutral color, but go a darker gray so it blends and doesn't get dirty as easy (I think it's a super light gray), or just go solid black, or, if you're all in on using red as a highlight color like the calipers, give the seats/trim red highlights.

Honestly, what they needed was all black or optional red. That covers all exteriors, red would look killer with black/gray/silver/white, or even blue, have the all black for orange, green, people who just want a more subdued interior, and FFS Ford, offer the calipers in gloss black.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I am still having a hard time with this thing being speed limited.
regulatory dodge, pure and simple. May not be US limitation per say but an EU one. If you're an actual racer I'm sure Ford has a special ECU they can sell to accredited racers that removes that limitation and a few others. May also come with mandatory aero mods to address stability and road adhesion at >180mph. Go fast enough and physics becomes a real bitch.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I get using a neutral color, but go a darker gray so it blends and doesn't get dirty as easy (I think it's a super light gray), or just go solid black, or, if you're all in on using red as a highlight color like the calipers, give the seats/trim red highlights.

Honestly, what they needed was all black or optional red. That covers all exteriors, red would look killer with black/gray/silver/white, or even blue, have the all black for orange, green, people who just want a more subdued interior, and FFS Ford, offer the calipers in gloss black.
I'm holding out that there is at least one trim package that provides an all black Recaro with no white. Possibly a cloth Recaro on the Handling Package car. Some of the Ford media photos show cars with black Recaros. Then again, Ford f***** up the green hue so I don't have much confidence here.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm holding out that there is at least one trim package that provides an all black Recaro with no white. Possibly a cloth Recaro on the Handling Package car. Some of the Ford media photos show cars with black Recaros. Then again, Ford f***** up the green hue so I don't have much confidence here.
Or red accents on the carbon fiber track package.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
I got the chance to see it at the DFW auto show. Those 5 inch exhaust tips... videos / pics don't do it justice. They look massive in person, as do the the front brake discs and calipers. It's a stunner, especially with the exposed CF wheels, paint color, grille design, and the hood. Love the hood! I didn't particularly like the look of the big wing, but since it's functional for track use it is what it is. I would NOT put one on my lowly GT, as I think it would come off a bit awkward.
Key word. “Exhaust tips” they are looks.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Helluva power plant. But a sad interior considering this is the Alpha Dog. Pretty much like any other Mustang.

Don’t get why there are two calipers on the rear brake. Weird.
I agree on the sad interior. Not entirely sure why Ford doesn't up the game here a bit (profit margins I would imagine).

I have a 2018 Raptor and it is certainly nicer than the 350R; however, I don't have high hopes for the GT500. That being said, if the reviews are what we all hope - it won't stop me for getting one.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51

I'd prefer black calipers as well but red does look good with with certain colors. Make black the base and do an upcharge for different color brake caliper options like other manufacturers.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'd prefer black calipers as well but red does look good with with certain colors. Make black the base and do an upcharge for different color brake caliper options like other manufacturers.
Don't get me wrong, I actually __love__ red calipers with many exterior colors, but they need something that doesn't look slightly off with orange or WTSF with green. :D

Dodge has it right at this price point, aka Hellcat/Redeye/~$75K+ (I mean, they do red as standard and upcharge for black, but same basic concept, they also offer a couple of other colors):

upload_2019-4-11_16-5-49.png

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
As a backyard mechanic, I can't stand prop rods. They always get in the way. I can't tell you how many times I've had to hold the hood up and try to do whatever I'm doing with one hand while holding the hood with the other because that damn rod was in the way
I’m the opposite. I don’t like the struts from side work. And when people refuse to spend the money to replace worn out struts you either use a rod or a clamp to hold the hood open.
Plus, the struts are heavier lol.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
A couple things to consider are that the cars we are seeing now are pre production I believe? So maybe they will come with 2 hood struts or perhaps they designed the one in the video so it wouldn't block someone from working from the side?

Regarding the 180MPH speed limiter that could be due to some backlash that the 13/14 GT500 had when people testing the car had a hard time achieving 200MPH. My understanding is that it took near perfect conditions to do so.....The other possibility might be that the new hood is stated to function as a downforce adder and not just a heat extractor?

As far as the CR being 9.5 to1 it might be a built in safeguard since most will probably opt to go with an open CAI, pulley down(adding boost), tune and possibly headers....The last thing Ford needs after waiting 6 years to produce this car is people b!tching because their lightly modded motor threw a rod or something....

I love the car myself but I do wish they had "pumped" up the interior with a little more pizazz like red, blue, orange or whatever seat and console accents matched the exterior of the car,

As I mentioned I love the car and the only thing stopping me from buying one will be price. If the base is over $85K with ADM I'll have to wait

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So maybe they will come with 2 hood struts or perhaps they designed the one in the video so it wouldn't block someone from working from the side?
Only 1 hood strut will be used on the production GT500 and not two.
Sponsored