Supercharger or buy a Roush RS3

HBDCowboys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I’m new to the forum. I’ve have a 17 Premium GT for a few years and I’m at a crossroads. My car is paid off and I’m trying to decide between playing it safe and buying a Ford ESP, getting a Roush supercharger installed by the dealer to maintain the factory warranty, or buying a nice 17 Roush RS3 that’s for sale in my area for $44k. Probably a dumb question but I’m guessing the ESP wouldn’t cover my engine even if the supercharger is installed by a Ford dealer correct? Just looking for advice.
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
You're paying for a bunch of emblems and papers that have little meaning. I picked up my 17 GT premium last year with 3300 miles on it for a lot less and it has Navigation. auto trans and all kinds of creature comforts. It had the Roush phase 2 package on it already by the previous owner. 44K for a bunch of logos and emblems, and different front nose piece and a rear spoiler all added on aftermarket at the Roush facility is a waste of money in my opinion. Had the deal not been so good I would have never bought the car because I am not a Roush fan.

Heck come buy my 17 premium. I'm looking to get into a 13/14 GT500. I'll save you a big chunk of money that you can use for anything from more car parts to buying your old lady a boob job. It has the Roush phase 2 727 package on it.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
If you love buying warranties there are a slew of people who will sell you one for any vehicle.

OP
OP
HBDCowboys

HBDCowboys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Is it a bunch of papers and badges with little meaning? It seems like the resale on them are a good $10-15k more than our regular GT’s?

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You're paying for a bunch of emblems and papers that have little meaning. I picked up my 17 GT premium last year with 3300 miles on it for a lot less and it has Navigation. auto trans and all kinds of creature comforts. It had the Roush phase 2 package on it already by the previous owner. 44K for a bunch of logos and emblems, and different front nose piece and a rear spoiler all added on aftermarket at the Roush facility is a waste of money in my opinion. Had the deal not been so good I would have never bought the car because I am not a Roush fan.

Heck come buy my 17 premium. I'm looking to get into a 13/14 GT500. I'll save you a big chunk of money that you can use for anything from more car parts to buying your old lady a boob job. It has the Roush phase 2 727 package on it.
The RS3 is supercharged and has upgraded suspension. I don't recall exactly how many hp the '17 RS3 had, but the '18+ RS3 is 710 hp. So, it is more than just stickers and emblems. That said, yes, you could install a Ford performance supercharger and not pay for the extra Roush stuff, which is how I would probably go about it. I'm not a huge fan of the Roush styling either. The front looks good minus the horizontal grille vents, and I don't like the fake side and rear quarter window vents or the side vinyl stripe. That said, the RS3 also has aftermarket Roush 20" wheels, and the stage 1 Roush suspension so it's more of a complete package than just emblems and a catback exhaust.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Styling, emblems, or product, they are over rated, over priced, and over logo'd. For the price of $1900+ just for an adjustable height system from Roush you can purchase an Eibach fully adjustable system (shocks and height adjustable) for about $1600 at Lethal Performance. That leaves you more than $250 in your pocket and a better product IMHO. Roush is for people who think they need to impress their neighbors with labels and logos.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
The Roush cars are overpriced and overrated. You can build the same car for less.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Buy yourself any supercharger kit of your choice. Don’t exceed 700whp. And your engine will most likely live a long happy life. It's when you start getting near 800 your pushing your luck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I’m new to the forum. I’ve have a 17 Premium GT for a few years and I’m at a crossroads. My car is paid off and I’m trying to decide between playing it safe and buying a Ford ESP, getting a Roush supercharger installed by the dealer to maintain the factory warranty, or buying a nice 17 Roush RS3 that’s for sale in my area for $44k. Probably a dumb question but I’m guessing the ESP wouldn’t cover my engine even if the supercharger is installed by a Ford dealer correct? Just looking for advice.
RS3 is really cool car but it's really overpriced. If I were you I would go for just a Supercharger probably a suspension update mostly half and driveshafts to hold the power Oil Pump Gears and call it a day. Roush Phase 2 or Whipple should be your SC of choice for this endevor. Also all of the parts that RS3 have on it are available separately so if you like something in the look department of the car or in how it perform you can purchase only this parts. Sure you will be lacking the RS3 badges but you will save tons of money.

OP
OP
HBDCowboys

HBDCowboys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
RS3 is really cool car but it's really overpriced. If I were you I would go for just a Supercharger probably a suspension update mostly half and driveshafts to hold the power Oil Pump Gears and call it a day. Roush Phase 2 or Whipple should be your SC of choice for this endevor. Also all of the parts that RS3 have on it are available separately so if you like something in the look department of the car or in how it perform you can purchase only this parts. Sure you will be lacking the RS3 badges but you will save tons of money.
Eyeing the Whipple as we speak! I love the sound. Not sure I really NEED that much power though. I’d be more than satisfied at 600whp

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Eyeing the Whipple as we speak! I love the sound. Not sure I really NEED that much power though. I’d be more than satisfied at 600whp
For me at the moment 420 are a lot. Since the car is sliding it's tale so much. I will first invest in suspension before starting added power. I'm also not sure if I want an SC or just keep the car NA for the moment. But overall if you are going with SC Whipple is the best option you can buy it with bigger pully so it produce less power and tune it all the way to tons of power with smaller pully.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Eyeing the Whipple as we speak! I love the sound. Not sure I really WANT (not need) that much power though. I’d be more than satisfied at 600whp
Plan ahead now. 600RWHP sounds like a lot....until you "need" more. The key word is want. That is why I just corrected your statement. NEED? Who NEEDS more power. We WANT more power. LOL!

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Roush and I wouldn't buy one unless the deal was such that you couldn't buy and pay for installation for suspension ($1500), half shafts ($2000) , wheels (have to like the wheels) ($1500), Exhaust ($1000), supercharger ($8500-10000) and the aftermarket pieces for the same or less money. RS3's come with really nice seats also so that's worth something. All total by buying a RS2 and then supercharging it I saved about $12k. Don't pay asking for a Roush. Personally I hate all the stickers on the RS3 anyways.

Btw, warranty on the Supercharger is from the day it was purchased off the lot no matter when you buy the supercharger. Some RS3's come with a 5 year warranty on the supercharger. But 17 RS3's (any 17 roush sc with Roush tune for that matter) are slooowwwww. Like I would have no issue racing a 17 RS3 in a 18 A10 before ever putting a SC on it. Just add it all up and see if it makes sense.
Sponsored