Status
Not open for further replies.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
giphy.gif

I have been saying this for years, until I'm blue in the face. Mustangs are NOT sports cars, they're Grand Touring cars. And I think people would be enjoying their Mustangs more if the really understood what they're supposed to be, rather than having unrealistic expectations.

Seriously, more people need to take 1000 mile cruises in these cars, to see what they're best at doing.

And trying to turn them into drag-cars? Jesus.....it's like trying to polish a turd. You're starting with the wrong car for what you are attempting.

But, whatever. It's your car, enjoy it as you will.
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this. Compared to the average car sold, a Mustang GT (esp. PP1 or better) is pretty much a sports car. I know, technically, it is a grand tourer/muscle car and not a "true" sports car. But IMO, it is a sports car compared to any pickup, Rogue/Rav4/CRV, Camry/Accord, and any other top selling boring car/crossover/SUV. Those vehicles, esp. the in the crossover/sedan/SUV segment couldn't be any more bland no matter how many fake gigantic front grilles they add to it.
Sponsored

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
The Mustang GT is still a pony car. It isn't really light enough or agile enough to be a true sports car and is still mostly a road focused car. It isn't luxurious enough to be a GT. Now, the S550 blurs those lines with the improved handling and better quality materials but it's still the fun, affordable and somewhat practical car it's always been. As far as the S650, I'd like to see them make it lighter and better handling, maybe even a 2 seater that can still fit the tall and the large.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Lots of great ideas here.

What if Ford developed a factory hybrid front wheel drive system? Say 150hp
Just a package that could be added on or purchase factory.
Would push the 0-60 down in the mid-low 3s

Would be awesome if they would develop a kit for the s550 also. I would pay $10,000 for that instead of a supercharger.

Aluminum body panels to shed 200lbs would also be great.
Jay, thanks for starting a great thread. The takeaway here is that from a base Ecoboost to the GT350R we Mustang owners have an incredible car. I’m afraid the S650 could be the last Mustang as we know it. The industry is changing and the days of the n/a V8, & manual tranny are coming to an end. I hope not but I think we all know better.

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
The Ford GT is going to get smoked by the C8...... I don't think Ford has it in them to make a competitor to this car.....at least not with the current management.

Sponsored

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Not sure it matters. They seem to be leaning towards all autos in the future, so my GT350 might be last new Mustang I buy.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Really, I think one of the biggest things they SHOULD have already done with the S550, is go with an Aluminum chassis and body. That would have already knocked off a good 200-300lbs, and stiffened up the whole thing for better handling.

Heck, they already did it 4 years ago with the F-150. Why not the S550 Mustang? I never understood that.

So, yeah if they keep the Coyote, then an all motor car with an Aluminum chassis/body in the base model "Grand Touring" car. The more advanced versions could offer AWD and electric assist options, maxxing out at $55,000. Including a possible 4-door version for families. I know, sacrilege, right?

Honestly, I would also like to see Ford DUMP the entire GT350 and GT500 line-up. Forget the whole idea of taking a heavy GT, and making a sports car out of it. All it does is turn into a dinosaur that sells very few. No one buys a GT350 or GT500 because they want back seats!!! Seriously, Corvettes sell like hot cakes. Yet my local dealer has had the same 2018 GT350 sitting on the lot for over a year.

Take the 5.2L VooDoo, and build an affordable mid-engine sports car like the Corvette. A new "GTA" (Grand Touring America) a mid-engine car giving the VooDoo engine a worthy home. Thus, filling the gap from $60,000 and up, until you get to the high end GT.

Last edited:

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
A bigger gas tank
Stiffen up the chassis
Shed some pounds
Make it a hybrid and get some power to the front wheels
550 HP NA DOHC
HUD would be cool
You can have an optional DCT, but keep the stick option for we Luddites
None of that will yield a lower weight....Looking at a 4200 pound Challenger competitor there.

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
None of that will yield a lower weight....Looking at a 4200 pound Challenger competitor there.
I don't think so, mild hybrids are not that heavy and just starting with an aluminum frame would weigh considerably less.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
its not like they are on here reading or listening..

the gt500 nor the 2018 mustang gt has the wow factor of the C8... sad to say!

Sponsored
OP
OP

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
its not like they are on here reading or listening..

the gt500 nor the 2018 mustang gt has the wow factor of the C8... sad to say!
The only reason I would think they read and look at these forums is the cost is so low.

Not saying an executive is looking of course but I am sure they have a small team that looks at forums. The cost of doing is low compared to may other sources.

Ideas never cost anything and good ones only help.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Really, I think one of the biggest things they SHOULD have already done with the S550, is go with an Aluminum chassis and body. That would have already knocked off a good 200-300lbs, and stiffened up the whole thing for better handling.

Heck, they already did it 4 years ago with the F-150. Why not the S550 Mustang? I never understood that.
Building a car in aluminum is expensive the F series sells nearly a million trucks a year and it pays for the cost

OP
OP

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Mustang is classified as a sports car
I always looked at sports cars like this.

If you drive a jeep the Mustang is a sports car.

If you drive a Lambo not so much.

I consider my car a sports car.

Mileage will vary.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Great styling/design with classic pony car proportions. V8 option and lighter weight. A fun car to have and drive.

I dont see the 2 being direct competitors in the marketplace.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.