Sponsored

2019 GT350 Reviews Are Here

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
OR EVEN BETTER...you know, the FORD GT500.

If it’s good enough for the top dog, it’s good enough for the other performers.

A DCT GT350 would definitely gain in terms of performance.
I get certainly your point with respect to a DCT GT350 in terms of a performance gain as I had a DCT M3 for a couple of years and absolutely hated that transmission and should have ordered a 6 speed manual for that car but did to respect how quick and reliable that transmission was but was completely boring to me on the street.

From a standpoint of tracking a car versus only street driving a car I totally agree that a DCT/PDK transmission equipped car is quicker and much more consistent than a manual transmission car.

Because my racing days are over and only street drive my cars I choose to only drive manual transmission cars when it comes to HP vehicles.

I feel much more engaged with a manual transmission HP vehicle when it comes to upshifting and downshifting at exactly the right RPM and still feel that as an important challenge and excitement for me as I continue to get older.

Having driven numerous DCT/PDK equipped vehicles I initially enjoy the experience but find myself getting somewhat bored very quickly with all of the sophistication of these outstanding transmissions as it seems like not much can go wrong therefore these type of cars are not for me.

With respect to your comment about an automatic transmission being good enough for the top dog, understand your comments but I can tell you that there are many enthusiasts out there just as me who have decided to stay away from purchasing the GT500 and mostly because of the automatic transmission aspect. If Ford does come through with a manual transmission for the GT500 down the road then it will be time to reconsider for sure.

For the track an automatic is a no brainer from a performance standpoint but for the average enthusiast such as myself that only drives our HP vehicles on the street many of us still prefer 3 peddles and until such time as the GT500 comes with a manual transmission many of us will stay away from considering purchasing the new top dog in town.

:)
Sponsored

Last edited:

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
well, maybe an smart engineer will home brew a manual GT500, just like the guy on Rennlist that put a manual tranny out of a R, into a GT3 RS, 997.2 version..... Its a great read over there.....but he got it to work. Well a shop and shops did it for him. Hardest part was all the comm systems to work, the transmission bolted right up.

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
Yeah, I forgot they have not added HP to the 5.0 either since 2014MY. Need to lower my expectations.
Do you want direct injection ? Cause this shit right here is how you get direct injection...

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
I get certainly your point with respect to a DCT GT350 in terms of a performance gain as I had a DCT M3 for a couple of years and absolutely hated that transmission and should have ordered a 6 speed manual for that car but did to respect how quick and reliable that transmission was but was completely boring to me on the street.

From a standpoint of tracking a car versus only street driving a car I totally agree that a DCT/PDK transmission equipped car is quicker and much more consistent than a manual transmission car.

Because my racing days are over and only street drive my cars I choose to only drive manual transmission cars when it comes to HP vehicles.

I feel much more engaged with a manual transmission HP vehicle when it comes to upshifting and downshifting at exactly the right RPM and still feel that as an important challenge and excitement for me as I continue to get older.

Having driven numerous DCT/PDK equipped vehicles I initially enjoy the experience but find myself getting somewhat bored very quickly with all of the sophistication of these outstanding transmissions as it seems like not much can go wrong therefore these type of cars are not for me.

With respect to your comment about an automatic transmission being good enough for the top dog, understand your comments but I can tell you that there are many enthusiasts out there just as me who have decided to stay away from purchasing the GT500 and mostly because of the automatic transmission aspect. If Ford does come through with a manual transmission for the GT500 down the road then it will be time to reconsider for sure.

For the track an automatic is a no brainer from a performance standpoint but for the average enthusiast such as myself that only drives our HP vehicles on the street many of us still prefer 3 peddles and until such time as the GT500 comes with a manual transmission many of us will stay away from considering purchasing the new top dog in town.

:)
You can always go back in time and get a 2013-2014 GT500. I love driving that car!!! Its crazy but fun.:like:

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Would love to add a 19 350. There's real chance I might just go get one later this year. 2019 or wait to see what the 2020 has to offer. So glad that rev match doesn't come on the 350. Keep it pure.

Sponsored

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
You can always go back in time and get a 2013-2014 GT500. I love driving that car!!! Its crazy but fun.:like:
I think he may have had or has one, or at least a Boss 302 LS

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Agreed that the last generation of GT500's was all standard transmission cars and a hoot to drive and actually owned a 2008 convertible and a 2009 coupe and convertible but once the Boss 302 cars were launched back in 2010/2011 I quickly moved away from the FI GT500's to the NA Boss 302 cars.

I still am a big fan of the Boss 302 cars and was very fortunate to own the 3 Pilot Production Boss 302 cars shown for a total of ~13 years between all of them.

In order shown they were PP0002, PP0001 and PP0004.

Sure miss all those great cars but know that they are with terrific owners and still get to see 2 of them on a regular basis.

:like::like:
DSCF0765.JPG

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
The reviewer Lauren Fix in the second video, Car Coach Reports, stated she owns a 2015 GT350R and that the 2019 GT350 (non-R) is "a better car".

That's quite a statement. :shock:

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
The reviewer Lauren Fix in the second video, Car Coach Reports, stated she owns a 2015 GT350R and that the 2019 GT350 (non-R) is "a better car".

That's quite a statement. :shock:
It is considering they were driving the cars on a glorified go kart track.

Sponsored

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Basically if you wanted cup 2s on your non r you have that option.

Then they say more than just an alignment change and cup 2 s is responsible for the uptick in performance. Which I, honestly am not sure of.

Very jealous of the stereo, but otherwise I think it’s just the camber plates and cup 2s changing the character of the car.
It's FAR more than just the Cup 2 tires (which are closer to the bespoke PSS that they replace than the GT350R's Cup 2). It also performs in the wet very similarly to the PSS (vs. the GT350R's cup 2) so it's very similar in terms of daily-driveability to 2015-18 GT350s.

The Magneride calibration is 4 years newer (the 2015+ GT350 was the first Ford vehicle to use Magneride), and that means 4 years more development to refine and improve the street ride quality, track performance, and feel of the car.

The ABS calibration is SIGNIFICANTLY better. The car can brake later, trail-brake more effectively, and can trailbrake oversteer with the proper inputs, making the 2019 GT far more balanced than the 2015-18 cars. This alone is worth about 1 second per lap.

The "Swing" with the gurney flap, and GT350R front grille make more downforce which improves lap time.

So, the 2019 GT350 has:

-New Magneride calibration (can't be flashed to older cars)
-New ABS calibration (can't be flashed to older cars)
-Bespoke GT350-spec Cup 2 tires
-New "Swing" and GT350R front grille - make more downforce

While you can bolt on the tires, grill, swing, and any other suspension differences, you can't get the damper & ABS calibrations, which transform the character of the 2019 GT350 pretty substantially on the street and the track. That's not to take away anything from the 2015-18 GT350. They are fantastic cars and anyone who owns one should realize they still have something special. But that shouldn't take away from all of the work Ford Performance did to make the 2019 GT350 a significantly better car. Because it is.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Wouldn't the changes start at the tires? I mean, doesn't is make sense that Ford would simply retune the suspension and ABS to take advantage of the new tires? They did the same thing for the GT350R with actual different dampers and obviously different ABS and Magneride tunes.

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Wouldn't the changes start at the tires? I mean, doesn't is make sense that Ford would simply retune the suspension and ABS to take advantage of the new tires? They did the same thing for the GT350R with actual different dampers and obviously different ABS and Magneride tunes.
The tires had a lot to do with the changes. If you watch some of the videos in 2019 GT350 Reviews Are Here (Sticky Threads) they mention it. The Edmunds video really goes into the suspension parts. The American Muscle video talks about all the tweaks they made to take full advantage of the new FP-branded SC2's...

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
For Ford to get any real hp increase out of the 5.2L Voodoo they would have to up the rpm close to the 9k rpm range. This would have a major impact on durability/warranty issues.

Dave

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
It's FAR more than just the Cup 2 tires (which are closer to the bespoke PSS that they replace than the GT350R's Cup 2). It also performs in the wet very similarly to the PSS (vs. the GT350R's cup 2) so it's very similar in terms of daily-driveability to 2015-18 GT350s.

The Magneride calibration is 4 years newer (the 2015+ GT350 was the first Ford vehicle to use Magneride), and that means 4 years more development to refine and improve the street ride quality, track performance, and feel of the car.

The ABS calibration is SIGNIFICANTLY better. The car can brake later, trail-brake more effectively, and can trailbrake oversteer with the proper inputs, making the 2019 GT far more balanced than the 2015-18 cars. This alone is worth about 1 second per lap.

The "Swing" with the gurney flap, and GT350R front grille make more downforce which improves lap time.

So, the 2019 GT350 has:

-New Magneride calibration (can't be flashed to older cars)
-New ABS calibration (can't be flashed to older cars)
-Bespoke GT350-spec Cup 2 tires
-New "Swing" and GT350R front grille - make more downforce

While you can bolt on the tires, grill, swing, and any other suspension differences, you can't get the damper & ABS calibrations, which transform the character of the 2019 GT350 pretty substantially on the street and the track. That's not to take away anything from the 2015-18 GT350. They are fantastic cars and anyone who owns one should realize they still have something special. But that shouldn't take away from all of the work Ford Performance did to make the 2019 GT350 a significantly better car. Because it is.
How do you quantify significantly better? If the gt350 was significantly better wouldnt it basically be an "R" plus some weight?

The new calibrations could be total reworks or they could be very small tweaks based on the new tires alone.

The GT350R has bespoke cup 2 tires. I am suspicious the 2019GT350 tires are anything other than horrendous in the rain the tread pattern looked the same.

Where did you get your 1 second a lap difference number from?? because unless they swapped out tires I am not sure how you could know that.
Sponsored