2020 GT350R first drive reviews are in

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I already wondered the same thing and tried to look into it, but I assume it'll be some time before we're able to get a good side by side picture of the knuckles. Unless anyone with a 2020 R is willing to remove their front wheel and rotor to get some pics for us? :beer: If the only difference really is just the mounting point for the steering tie rod moving slightly, and the original tie rod adjustment has enough range of adjustment to increase the bit of length needed to reach the new mounting point farther from the hub axis, then I believe it would work. If the stock tie rods aren't long enough to reach, companies like Steeda make tie rod extenders for Mustangs that have been lowered so much it affects the steering geometry.

I'm going to borrow Epiphany's Caliperfexion pic because it shows a great angle of the GT350 hub. You can see the steering linkage connection on the left side towards the front of the hub. If all they did was move that slightly, then I think it would be possible to adapt to a current GT350. Grant it it may not work as well with the existing steering rack, but I think it might still help, assuming it doesn't deaden the steering feedback. Now if they completely relocated it, that could be a different story. Part of the tricky thing is figuring out exactly what Ford means when they say a "high-trail steering knuckle", since I haven't heard that term before in suspensions. Ironically, if you google it, all the hits are from the Ford press release articles...
Image00016.jpg
Swapping the original tie rod to a 2020 tie rod of necessary is a possibility, no?

Swapping the steering rack is the one thing we probably would have a harder time with

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I already wondered the same thing and tried to look into it, but I assume it'll be some time before we're able to get a good side by side picture of the knuckles. Unless anyone with a 2020 R is willing to remove their front wheel and rotor to get some pics for us? :beer: If the only difference really is just the mounting point for the steering tie rod moving slightly, and the original tie rod adjustment has enough range of adjustment to increase the bit of length needed to reach the new mounting point farther from the hub axis, then I believe it would work. If the stock tie rods aren't long enough to reach, companies like Steeda make tie rod extenders for Mustangs that have been lowered so much it affects the steering geometry.

I'm going to borrow Epiphany's Caliperfexion pic because it shows a great angle of the GT350 hub. You can see the steering linkage connection on the left side towards the front of the hub. If all they did was move that slightly, then I think it would be possible to adapt to a current GT350. Grant it it may not work as well with the existing steering rack, but I think it might still help, assuming it doesn't deaden the steering feedback. Now if they completely relocated it, that could be a different story. Part of the tricky thing is figuring out exactly what Ford means when they say a "high-trail steering knuckle", since I haven't heard that term before in suspensions. Ironically, if you google it, all the hits are from the Ford press release articles...
Image00016.jpg
Here’s GT500
7127C591-0479-43B7-9600-6432A6E7723F.jpeg

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Here’s GT500
7127C591-0479-43B7-9600-6432A6E7723F.jpeg
Heh, not sure how you got that, but thanks. As surmised, it does look as if the tie rod linkage was just moved slightly farther from the hub compared to this view:
_gt350-20caliper-20on-20knuckle-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I just read all those articles and not one of them emphasizes any substantial improvements over the prior 2019 GT350Rs. So that tells me that anyone who is on the fence over a 2019 vs 2020 GT350R, save your money and buy a 19, unless you want to pay 6k more plus whatever markup dealers are charging for a 2020 model.
Actually the price increase is $5,000 based on the Equipment Group 920A option going from $7995 to $12995 but certainly get your point with respect to a healthy increase to say the least for this option.

Is the new steering rack assembly which was inherited from the new GT500 worth an extra $5000, probably not but with this being the last year for the 6 year model run for the R Ford decided to add an extra $5000 onto the MSRP for this car and will have no problem selling them especially if they produce a very low volume on R's for this last model year.

Lastly, not sure why last years Electronics Package option has now been renamed as the Technology Package as the price and items in this optional package look to be pretty much the same as the 2019 cars?

:crazy:

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Part of the tricky thing is figuring out exactly what Ford means when they say a "high-trail steering knuckle", since I haven't heard that term before in suspensions. Ironically, if you google it, all the hits are from the Ford press release articles...
Image00016.jpg
In a side view of the front suspension, draw a line straight down from the center of the hub to the ground level. Then draw a straight line through the upper and lower pivot point of the knuckle to the ground. Normally that would be from upper ball joint to lower ball joint then to the ground. In this case its from center of strut mount (or so) to the theoretical pivot point of the two lower arms, then to the ground. The distance the hub center line at ground level trails behind the pivot line intersection on the ground is the mechanical trail.

Greater trail means more stability at speed, but also increased steering effort. Less trail means less steering effort, but less stability at higher speeds. Here we see increased mechanical trail along with increased steering arm length so the steering rack exerts more torque on the knuckle, probably to offset the increased effort required from the additional trail.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
SNIP but with this being the last year for the 6 year model run for the R SNIP
Can you point me to any official Ford documents that say 2020 is the last year? Is it also the last year for the regular GT350?

I'm sure you are correct, but I don't remember seeing that 2020 was definitely the last year. I'm hoping for 5-10 more years of GT350 - maybe with some future engine upgrades, etc.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Can you point me to any official Ford documents that say 2020 is the last year? Is it also the last year for the regular GT350?

I'm sure you are correct, but I don't remember seeing that 2020 was definitely the last year. I'm hoping for 5-10 more years of GT350 - maybe with some future engine upgrades, etc.
No documentation that I know of but my suggestion is based on a tour of the FRAP a few months back whereby I was told by an individual on that tour that the 2020 MY will be the only year that we will see the GT350 and the GT500 going down the assembly line together.

After that statement was made I then came to the conclusion that this will be the last year for the GT350 and specifically asked that was my assumption correct and they said yes.

I also had a conversation with a Ford individual in LV a couple of weeks ago and brought this same subject up again after which time I was told the same thing but again nothing in writing to confirm that I am aware of.

:sunglasses:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
No documentation that I know of but my suggestion is based on a tour of the FRAP a few months back whereby I was told by an individual on that tour that the 2020 MY will be the only year that we will see the GT350 and the GT500 going down the assembly line together.

After that statement was made I then came to the conclusion that this will be the last year for the GT350 and specifically asked that was my assumption correct and they said yes.

I also had a conversation with a Ford individual in LV a couple of weeks ago and brought this same subject up again after which time I was told the same thing but again nothing in writing to confirm that I am aware of.

:sunglasses:
Originally it was supposedly are 3 year run then 4 now 5. I think it really depends when the next platform comes out. I do not think ford planned originally to stay on this platform so long which is why the didn't upgrade the GT350 until 2019.

I also noted the GT350R is more than the base GT500 which is interesting..

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Originally it was supposedly are 3 year run then 4 now 5. I think it really depends when the next platform comes out. I do not think ford planned originally to stay on this platform so long which is why the didn't upgrade the GT350 until 2019.

I also noted the GT350R is more than the base GT500 which is interesting..
Yes, based on my calculations the 2020 R model starts out at $74,530 compared to $73,995 for the 2020 GT500 therefore a Base R model is $535 more to start with.

:)

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I wouldn’t put too much truth in the 527 hp.

it looks like an excel cell drag error.

Look at the compression ratios. Nice work, Ford...
9DD3FDA0-FE2F-4764-BEEF-C2ECC32D2CDD.png

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'm going to borrow Epiphany's Caliperfexion pic because it shows a great angle of the GT350 hub. You can see...
We have the individual "early" knuckle, along with hub, rotor, and caliper pieces and are awaiting the same from the 2020 GT500. Once we have them in hand I'll do a side by side for a clear look at what has changed.
Sponsored