Sponsored

Are these tire sizes ok for my 2019 GT350 first trackday?

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
Hi Everyone,

I signed up for my first trackday with a couple of weeks heads-up, but didn't account for global supply chain issues. I was able to sort a rapid tow hook delivery (mandatory for this track org) and install it, but then realized my rear tire tread is at the wear bars.

I tried to expedite changing my tires as quickly as possible.

The current tires are Hankook Ventus 12s (I like them well enough) in sizes
R: 325/30/R19
F: 305/35/R19

I looked up the stock options and found they are
R: 305/35/R19
F: 295/35/R19

I've never noticed any problems/issues with having a non-stock tire size on the street in some fun spirited driving, and have been fine with the fitment of the Hankooks. The only options I have before the trackday arrives is to get Pilot Sport 4s in the same size as the Hankooks (stock options could not be delivered in time). Also, I'm assuming I don't want to leave the Ventus on the front mismatched with Pilot Sport 4s on the rear?

Thoughts on whether this is ok? I'm pretty new to these aspects.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You'll be fine, you're not changing the tire sizes that drastically that you will notice a difference.

For a novice you also won't notice the difference in tires front to back, but I would just get all 4 the same and be done with it.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Can you get Pilot super sports in 305/35/19? I'd buy a set of those personally... that size is stickier than normal super sports as it was specific to the gt350. Very good tires to learn on too, very forgiving IMO.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes they are fine. You can really use any tire type or size at a track day. You just have to take into account tire behaviour when driving. Since this is your first track day, you will be very cautious. IMO that's always the correct way to approach a track day. Be careful and focus on learning the corners and having fun. Listen to the instructors.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Hi Everyone,

I signed up for my first trackday with a couple of weeks heads-up, but didn't account for global supply chain issues. I was able to sort a rapid tow hook delivery (mandatory for this track org) and install it, but then realized my rear tire tread is at the wear bars.

I tried to expedite changing my tires as quickly as possible.

The current tires are Hankook Ventus 12s (I like them well enough) in sizes
F: 305/35/R19

I looked up the stock options and found they are
R: 305/35/R19
F: 295/35/R19

I've never noticed any problems/issues with having a non-stock tire size on the street in some fun spirited driving, and have been fine with the fitment of the Hankooks. The only options I have before the trackday arrives is to get Pilot Sport 4s in the same size as the Hankooks (stock options could not be delivered in time). Also, I'm assuming I don't want to leave the Ventus on the front mismatched with Pilot Sport 4s on the rear?

Thoughts on whether this is ok? I'm pretty new to these aspects.

I may be off base here and others cam pipe in if that is the case. Wear bars are indications that a street tire will soon no longer function as designed on the street. They still have plenty of rubber but, for example, wet performance will be horrible. Dry performance is not really an issue unless you are an extremely aggressive driver on track. Think Billy Johnson. You are no more going to blow a tire your current set than you would a new tire. now if your alignment is off you have less rubber to wear out but again, are you aggressive? Remember, tire rack (an example) offers tire shaving as a service for track rats. Id send them one more time and order what you want for street tires as they become available

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like I'm good to go. My current options that would be available in time are

Michelin Sport 4s (these are what is currently on order, currently looking for options closer to stock that would still arrive on time)
F: 305/30/R19

Continental Extreme Contact Sports (original width, but aspect ratio would be off?)
R: 305/30/R19
F: 295/30/R19

Leaning towards just keeping the Michelins on order (could swap Monday, track day on Friday)

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I may be off base here and others cam pipe in if that is the case. Wear bars are indications that a street tire will soon no longer function as designed on the street. They still have plenty of rubber but, for example, wet performance will be horrible. Dry performance is not really an issue unless you are an extremely aggressive driver on track. Think Billy Johnson. You are no more going to blow a tire your current set than you would a new tire. now if your alignment is off you have less rubber to wear out but again, are you aggressive? Remember, tire rack (an example) offers tire shaving as a service for track rats. Id send them one more time and order what you want for street tires as they become available
Was typing up my response before seeing this...I'm debating it, but worried about driving 3 hours to track, doing the day, and driving 3 hours back :(

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Was typing up my response before seeing this...I'm debating it, but worried about driving 3 hours to track, doing the day, and driving 3 hours back :(
Understood. If its dry, should not be an issue. Rain could complicate that issue. Good luck with your decision

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'm debating it, but worried about driving 3 hours to track, doing the day, and driving 3 hours back :(
While you *may* be fine as long as you don't hit any rain, there's no guarantee what's going to happen at the track. It would be very inconvenient to drive to the track, have a fun day racing around and then discover that you corded your rear tires and now you're stuck 3 hours from home.

You then have to find a local shop to change your tires or get an expensive tow home.

IMO I would not chance it seeing you're that far away from home. If you were just driving these on track and had a spare set for the street, I'd say take your chance on track with them. But having to rely on worn out tires to survive 6 hours of street driving and an entire track day...that's a bit much.

Sponsored
OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly I'm so thankful for all of your help. It was hard to pull the trigger on $1,600 of tires because I needed to do it quickly, but also not having confidence in the choices. I know some of these options would be able to be determined by spending a lot of time looking through old threads but you have all really helped me out.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Honestly I'm so thankful for all of your help. It was hard to pull the trigger on $1,600 of tires because I needed to do it quickly, but also not having confidence in the choices. I know some of these options would be able to be determined by spending a lot of time looking through old threads but you have all really helped me out.
Did a quick check on Tire rack. If you go square at 305 30 19 there are a lot of choices. If you go 305 35 there are a few less and they all look in stock. I use 305s square on the street and I have tracked them as well. They work just fine

If you cord a tire its going to be because of alignment not tire wear. It will be on the outside or inside edges, mostly front.

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did a quick check on Tire rack. If you go square at 305 30 19 there are a lot of choices. If you go 305 35 there are a few less and they all look in stock. I use 305s square on the street and I have tracked them as well. They work just fine

If you cord a tire its going to be because of alignment not tire wear. It will be on the outside or inside edges, mostly front.
I had assumed 325/30 would be closer to 305/35 in total tire diameter than 305/30.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I had assumed 325/30 would be closer to 305/35 in total tire diameter than 305/30.
Go to Tire Rack, They give all the dimensions you need. all tires vary by manufacturer in size some regardless of size on the sidewall

A 30 will give you a tiny bit of acceleration over the taller 35. Higher revs per mile means shorter tire. Doesn't matter the car will compensate as far as the speedometer

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Doesn't matter the car will compensate as far as the speedometer
I don't think that's true, would need a tune/tuner to change the rotations per mile to fix the speedo. I switch back and forth w/ 35 and 30 aspect and it's definitely off w/ the 30's compared to my gps speed on my solo2dl.
Sponsored