2019 GT350 Reviews Are Here

Discussion in 'Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by Jarstang, May 14, 2019.

1. BillyJRacing

BillyJRacing Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang
    0   0   0
    It's FAR more than just the Cup 2 tires (which are closer to the bespoke PSS that they replace than the GT350R's Cup 2). It also performs in the wet very similarly to the PSS (vs. the GT350R's cup 2) so it's very similar in terms of daily-driveability to 2015-18 GT350s.

The Magneride calibration is 4 years newer (the 2015+ GT350 was the first Ford vehicle to use Magneride), and that means 4 years more development to refine and improve the street ride quality, track performance, and feel of the car.

The ABS calibration is SIGNIFICANTLY better. The car can brake later, trail-brake more effectively, and can trailbrake oversteer with the proper inputs, making the 2019 GT far more balanced than the 2015-18 cars. This alone is worth about 1 second per lap.

The "Swing" with the gurney flap, and GT350R front grille make more downforce which improves lap time.

So, the 2019 GT350 has:

-New Magneride calibration (can't be flashed to older cars)
    -New ABS calibration (can't be flashed to older cars)
    -Bespoke GT350-spec Cup 2 tires
    -New "Swing" and GT350R front grille - make more downforce

While you can bolt on the tires, grill, swing, and any other suspension differences, you can't get the damper & ABS calibrations, which transform the character of the 2019 GT350 pretty substantially on the street and the track. That's not to take away anything from the 2015-18 GT350. They are fantastic cars and anyone who owns one should realize they still have something special. But that shouldn't take away from all of the work Ford Performance did to make the 2019 GT350 a significantly better car. Because it is.

2. stanglife

stanglife Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    1993 Coyote Coupe
    0   0   0
    Wouldn't the changes start at the tires? I mean, doesn't is make sense that Ford would simply retune the suspension and ABS to take advantage of the new tires? They did the same thing for the GT350R with actual different dampers and obviously different ABS and Magneride tunes.

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT350
    0   0   0
    The tires had a lot to do with the changes. If you watch some of the videos in 2019 GT350 Reviews Are Here (Sticky Threads) they mention it. The Edmunds video really goes into the suspension parts. The American Muscle video talks about all the tweaks they made to take full advantage of the new FP-branded SC2's...

4. Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 BMW M3 E92 ZCP
    0   0   0
    For Ford to get any real hp increase out of the 5.2L Voodoo they would have to up the rpm close to the 9k rpm range. This would have a major impact on durability/warranty issues.

Dave

5. firestarter2

firestarter2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    RR G350 Track
    0   0   0
    How do you quantify significantly better? If the gt350 was significantly better wouldnt it basically be an "R" plus some weight?

The new calibrations could be total reworks or they could be very small tweaks based on the new tires alone.

The GT350R has bespoke cup 2 tires. I am suspicious the 2019GT350 tires are anything other than horrendous in the rain the tread pattern looked the same.

Where did you get your 1 second a lap difference number from?? because unless they swapped out tires I am not sure how you could know that.

6. cosmo

cosmo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    That's Billy Johnson, the driver that tested at least the GT500 and 19 GT350s and I know drove the Ford GTs for testing as well. His recommendations are what Carl Widmann has said contributed to the 19 GT350s changes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Johnson_(racing_driver)

raiderjatt02 and Greg35 like this.
  7. firestarter2

firestarter2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    RR G350 Track
    0   0   0
    I am not questioning his credentials I am questioning the rest though unless he is also an engineer Ford is apparently in financial difficulties them investing a lot in the 2019 tweaks seems very unlikely to me beyond some basic due diligence. I fully admit I could be wrong.