Sponsored

BMR Performance vs. Handling Springs

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Hey all-

Want to order up some new springs for my 2019 PP1 GT....would like to lower the car some but most importantly to me I would like to eliminate the squat on acceleration, dive on braking, and the rubbery feel if you come off the gas in a corner. That seems to unsettle the car in an odd way when it feels pretty darn confident going into the turn.

Help me decide on the handling vs. performance springs from BMR, I like that their setup will provide me with a little bit of rake on the car. I have had many Mustangs in the past and they have always seemed like they had a low rear before and after lowering them. Does anyone have any experience with the more aggressive Handling spring? If it's going to make the car ride like shit I'm out, but I don't want to get basically the same spring rate as the PP1 springs and be dissatisfied either.

Help me out guys!!
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Go check the "GT350R Springs for GT (high rate, minimum lowering)" thread...there is a lot of useful nuggets there.

In a nutshell, I would do the handling springs with FRPP track dampers as a few other forum members have done. It's important to replace the dampers to something more appropriate for the higher spring rate.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all-

Want to order up some new springs for my 2019 PP1 GT....would like to lower the car some but most importantly to me I would like to eliminate the squat on acceleration, dive on braking, and the rubbery feel if you come off the gas in a corner. That seems to unsettle the car in an odd way when it feels pretty darn confident going into the turn.

Help me decide on the handling vs. performance springs from BMR, I like that their setup will provide me with a little bit of rake on the car. I have had many Mustangs in the past and they have always seemed like they had a low rear before and after lowering them. Does anyone have any experience with the more aggressive Handling spring? If it's going to make the car ride like shit I'm out, but I don't want to get basically the same spring rate as the PP1 springs and be dissatisfied either.

Help me out guys!!
Lots of very, very happy people who dual purpose (street/track), as well as just street drive the handling springs + FP Track dampers combo. It's a firmer car without question, but far more controlled and planted than the stock setup. It's not full track-only/racecar stiff at all, but proper sports car. With some supporting mods, that combination is absolutely fantastic to drive on track and has shockingly good street manners.

Do check that thread out for some recent history, along with the thread @H1shawn1 titled suspension nirvana. @jbird60 just road tripped his from Detroit to Laguna Seca over 3 days and wasn't beat up by it on the way, but was rewarded by it at the end.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Want to order up some new springs for my 2019 PP1 GT....would like to lower the car some but most importantly to me I would like to eliminate the squat on acceleration, dive on braking
Reductions in squat and dive are going to be largely determined by spring rate, and the Performance springs are only 5% - 10% stiffer than OE. The Handling springs are more like 50% stiffer than OE. The Handling springs' 250 lb/in wheel rate range is on the 'firm' side, but even that much is still reasonably daily-drivable for most performance enthusiasts, and lies about where the GT350 and GT350R spring rates fall (I'm not worried about few percent differences being significant in terms of ride quality here).

Norm

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I drive the BMR handling springs on the street also. No regrets. I highly recommend them over the BMR performance springs. The car has the perfect stance IMO with the SP083.

Edit: I should also add that I have used the BMR SP080 performance springs on this car, with KONI sport dampers. So I have direct experience. With the SP083 springs and FP dampers I much prefer the ride and handling.

20190619_144331.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perfect, thanks!!

Would the SP083’s pair with the PP dampers fairly well for a little while?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect, thanks!!

Would the SP083’s pair with the PP dampers fairly well for a little while?
Not really, no. It'll be bouncy and not well controlled. Best do it once and right the first time.

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not really, no. It'll be bouncy and not well controlled. Best do it once and right the first time.
Kind of figured that would be the case, appreciated.

Know where those dampers can be picked up for a little less?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After all the reading I've done I've concluded that I feel like the SP080's will be fine for my application. This car will never see the track at all, it will mostly pull DD duty with some occasional highly spirited backroad driving.

I figure after I add the lockout kit and subframe braces a little later on I should have corrected most issues that I wanted to address, maintained similar ride to stock, and got a better look in the process.

When I can afford it I do plan on picking up the Ford Dampers as well, but that will be a little while.

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I want the FRPP dampers and SP083 so bad, but can’t be spending that money right now...

OP
OP
DuRsT

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear ya.......just had a bluebird paycheck come in so I'm looking for the absolute cheapest place to buy the M-18000-F right now! My springs should be shipping out soon.
Sponsored