Sponsored

How badly is Ford struggling?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
And that's exactly why I'm on the verge of switching to being a Mazda diehard. They seem to be the only company left who actually cares about the soul of a car

You think that they car about the soul of the cars they make they don't. They will build what will sell and if it's just cookie cutter cars that all look alike and drive alike as long as the public buys it they'll sell it. Profits over everything is all that matters they like all other automakers would lay off everyone and put robots in if they could.
Sponsored

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
It is just a matter of time,Ford started killing the Mustang after M/Y 2014, when they made the beloved Mustang to look like every other Euro box on the street,then they really messed up the great Coyote engine in M/Y 2018.Ford is doing a slow flush of what used to be a good car company.
This. This right here. This majestic post is why Ford doesn't give a flying f*** what any "die hard" forum loyalist says. Because this guy is on a s550 forum complaining about how Ford is "killing" the mustang after 14. Yet sales went up. They gained massive market share over Camaro and are easily the dominant car in the class.

That's why Ford doesn't care what you think.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
This. This right here. This majestic post is why Ford doesn't give a flying f*** what any "die hard" forum loyalist says. Because this guy is on a s550 forum complaining about how Ford is "killing" the mustang after 14. Yet sales went up. They gained massive market share over Camaro and are easily the dominant car in the class.

Exactly;

Ford doesn't give a flying F about forums, as.......being honest.....the members are the lunatic fringe of owners. We're the biggest PITA to Ford, and they don't care what we think. They're a business out to make $$ on cars, and they're doing well with the Mustang, F150, and cutting production of the vehicles that aren't doing well.

I'm not saying I agree with everything they're doing, but I'm not the person running the company. And, being objective, the biggest issue with Ford is that it's a publicly traded company, and there is a Board of Directors and investors to pacify, rather than just focusing on building awesome vehicles.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Well my 2 cents is this, if FORD built their cars and SUVs like they do the F-150 they would not have this problem. If they had V8s across the line up, that would help. Why they refuse to build cars and trucks that some people want is just plain stupid. I am going to say this, IF they put a big V8 in the RAPTOR, they would sell more, IF they did a lightning truck, they would sell that, IF they had a Rattlelac v killer they would sell some of those, IF they put a big V8 In a mustang we all know that would sell. So to a point FORD is screwing FORD:explode::lipssealed:
How could they do that and still be compliant with regulations for fuel economy? Newflash: They can't.

The only way they're able to continue to build cars like the GT350 and GT500, and hell, the Mustang GT, is because they sell a metric shit ton of F-150s, Edges, Mustangs, and Explorers with smaller, more fuel efficient V6 engines. Eventually, when the technology is there, they'll likely augment many of those with batteries and hybrid systems, and downsize those V6s to I-4s (like they did with killing the V6 in the Mustang). CAFE standards are what they are, and they're only going to go up, especially if a Democrat is elected for the White House.

JR

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

I think the Dodge Challenger is catching up fast,the engine and transmission problems in M/Y 2018-2019 are starting to catch up to the Mustang,I wouldn't be surprised if Challenger doesn't take the lead in the not to distant future.

Sponsored

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
How could they do that and still be compliant with regulations for fuel economy? Newflash: They can't.

The only way they're able to continue to build cars like the GT350 and GT500, and hell, the Mustang GT, is because they sell a metric shit ton of F-150s, Edges, Mustangs, and Explorers with smaller, more fuel efficient V6 engines. Eventually, when the technology is there, they'll likely augment many of those with batteries and hybrid systems, and downsize those V6s to I-4s (like they did with killing the V6 in the Mustang). CAFE standards are what they are, and they're only going to go up, especially if a Democrat is elected for the White House.

JR
FORD can do it if they choose too, and yes if a demoncrat gets in we are toast.TRUMP 2020:like:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
And that's exactly why I'm on the verge of switching to being a Mazda diehard. They seem to be the only company left who actually cares about the soul of a car
Toyota, largest automaker in the world: It's to costly and time consuming to make a new inline 6 to use in the new Supra. *uses BMW's that's not known for quality, underrated but still making less power then NISSAN's four year old VR30DDTT*
Mazda, smallest automaker in Japan: Hold my beer. *announced a new inline 6 engine in development*

Mazda's designs look best to me out of the Japanese makers, and they are defiantly doing great interior work and have been known for very reliable drive trains. If they would put the new 2.5T and AWD systems together with a Stick in both the 3 and 6 they would have great new Mazdaspeed line, and be a real contender to the WRX.

I feel part of what hurt US cars so much is that they took so long to start making more AWD options which also pushed people to SUV's. The only way to get AWD in most US applications is a truck, SUV, or higher end performance model. Subaru has it in all its vehicles and was hit less by the SUV swing. I'd love to see how many Ford SUV owners would have bought a Focus, or Fusion if they could have gotten AWD at a lower price point in them than the Sport and RS that were offered.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Getting rid of car lines that they were making poorly. I got rid of my 2nd car - Ford Fusion SEL and got a Kia Optima EX. Car is rock solid and I love it more than I ever did the Fusion, even though it has less power. Seriously though - they sold thousands upon thousands of Focus models and got rid of the model? Stupid.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Well my 2 cents is this, if FORD built their cars and SUVs like they do the F-150 they would not have this problem. If they had V8s across the line up, that would help. Why they refuse to build cars and trucks that some people want is just plain stupid. I am going to say this, IF they put a big V8 in the RAPTOR,
It's worse in the UK, the only petrol car Ford sell with a decent engine is the Mustang, otherwise it's diesels. They don't sell us the F150 Raptor but instead a Ranger Raptor and guess what engine they put in that - a 2 litre diesel, pathetic. We don't even get a petrol option on the Ford Edge and they don't sell a 7 seater like a Explorer.

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I'm wondering something... I believe the Fiesta and Focus were some of the cheapest(price wise) vehicles you could buy from Ford. With the elimination of the Focus, Fiesta, and Fusion, won't Ford's average vehicle price go way up?

By eliminating cars, Ford took out a buying segment that were buying their vehicles because they had a price tag people could actually afford. A mistake in my opinion.
Back in the day the 'loyalty model' showed a 20-something bought a Ford entry level then graduated to Ford mid-tier and so on. Today Brand Loyalty has diminished a lot. I have owned Ford's in my life... the last one 14 years ago with a number of other brand vehicles in between before I bought my Mustang. An entry level car is cheap quality, lacks style and makes little to no money for the manufacturer. I don't see entry level cars driving brand loyalty anymore. If those cheap cars only existed to cover overhead costs and to try to drive brand loyalty, if you cut them it makes sense overhead has to be cut as well. Heck, going back to the Eighties my first car was a Subaru, my second was am Eagle (Talon Turbo). They were great cars but also the last of those brands I ever bought.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Curious as to the soul of a car explanation?

I own two Mazdas currently and only the 29 year old Miata would I say comes anywhere close to 'having a soul'.

Looking at their current lineup you see the same thing every other Japanese company has other than the MX-5. So does having a roadster make them care about the soul of a car?

If they truly cared about what the enthusiasts want they'd have a Mazda Speed MX-5/3/6 and bring back the RX7. But those are not profitable so they are just as 'soulless' a company as any other.

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
I blame this on people wanting to have the same SUV type vehicle. Think with all the cars gone how many jobs were involved with that.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
FORD can do it if they choose too, and yes if a demoncrat gets in we are toast.TRUMP 2020:like:
That literally makes no sense. Have you even read what you typed? Ford cannot, CANNOT, meet CAFE standards with their existing vehicle lineup, if it were to be all V8s. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.

I blame this on people wanting to have the same SUV type vehicle. Think with all the cars gone how many jobs were involved with that.
I mean, to be fair, people want utilitarian vehicles that provide some semblance of status, yet don't look "uncool", like station wagons do. Personally, I'd take a station wagon over an SUV any day, as it provides more room, better ride, and is less compromised than an SUV. Unfortunately, the are like two station wagons that I could actually buy, and they're both extremely expensive. So, for people that don't want a truck, or can't afford the truck or the fuel for the truck, what do they buy? Most cars don't have sufficient space for their brood and all their shit, so they go to an SUV/CUV. Ford is just following the trend at this time.

JR

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Right now, I think Ford has more choices for performance enthusiast than they have had for many years. In 2007 I was thrilled to buy a 300 HP Mustang with a manual trans. Now Ford has an Ecoboost Four cylinder Mustang with 330 Horsepower and manual trans. Ford also has a manual trans Mustang GT and Bullitt Mustang and GT350 with a manual trans. It has been a long since we have had it so good. We are fortunate to have such good Ford performance cars considering the box the government puts the manufacturers into with safety regulations and fuel mileage restrictions. I am enjoying my choices from Ford right now. I don't but four door sedans when I can buy an SUV that is more practical and can have all wheel drive. If I want a car, I buy Mustangs.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
They should at least bring the Focus back to the US.

Produce a good electric car.

Hope the Bronco is cool

Wait for the next-gen Edge and Ranger - the current versions are past their sell-by date.

Get rid of their short-sighted CEO
Sponsored