How badly is Ford struggling?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Topics (non 6th Gen Mustang)' started by 1MEAN18, May 22, 2019.

1. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I'm really hoping that once this trade war ends, we can start getting some passenger cars back. The European Focus and Fiesta sound excellent, the Chinese Taurus is great, and boy I sure would love if Ford found some justification to give us a RWD based V8 manual sedan. Since most of the development costs have already been eaten for those foreign markets, and once the trade war ends and import costs are low again, maybe we'll start to see the return of cars. After all, I recall a Ford rep saying that cars aren't necessarily dead for the brand, just being put on hold to gauge market interest

2. EcoVert

EcoVert Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost convertible
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    What Ford and all the other auto makes are doing and the only thing they care about is making money because if they don't make money they go out of business. Legacy, tradition and the way we use to do business is gone profits is all that matters. If that means killing Mustang or bringing back cars over suv's that's what Ford and all the auto makers will do.

3. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    And that's exactly why I'm on the verge of switching to being a Mazda diehard. They seem to be the only company left who actually cares about the soul of a car

shogun32 likes this.
  4. NoVaGT

NoVaGT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    It wasn't "thousands of white collar guys". It was about 700 here in the US. The rest were over-seas, or were retirements where the position was not re-filled. Ford was simply getting rid of thousands of do-nothing positions in middle-management, which is a good thing.

Don't pay attention to the media/news, they're completely full of shit, and sensationalize everything.

If there is news of laying off production people, that would be due to Ford axing all their passenger cars.

Lubner, tlondon, Bluemustang and 3 others like this.
  5. Tseg

Tseg Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
    0   0   0
    Glad I got my '18 GT before the workers start sabotaging production like was done in the 1970's which helped drive the Japanese invasion of cars to this country.

6. jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    Holy crap, this thread is a dumpster fire.

Listen, everything in economics is cyclical, for as long as there is recorded history. Car sales are down across the board. Cars are lasting longer, and more and more people are moving to cities. Fewer young people want to buy cars, and given the high prices of new cars, fewer can afford them. Avocado toast, you know. Regardless of the desireability of the GT500 with/without a manual transmission, whether you think the BULLITT and PP2 should have been the same car (they shouldn't, and you'd have bitched about Ford not offering people choices, if they were), or whether it was smart to cut Ford's entire car line (minus the Mustang), the fact remains that fewer cars are being sold this year, and that trend is projected to continue for at least the next couple years. From an economics standpoint, that means that the manufacturers have to contract in their workforce, if they're to remain profitable, or close to profitable. It also means that less demand might increase incentives or just lower the MSRP on vehicles in an effort to get people to buy more cars. That, in turn, would lead to more sales, which leads to the manufacturers hiring more people, which leads to bloat, which leads to optimization (layoffs).

Does it suck that people are losing their jobs? Definitely. Unfortunately, it's a cycle, like I said. This has been happening in the auto industry for decades, and until robots are designing and building literally everything, will continue to happen. Stock price has little to do with the health of a company, only the market's valuation of the company and its operations. Remember, the company is not beholden to you, the buyer, they're beholden to their shareholders (of which I am one).

JR

7. Ebm

Ebm Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Guy
    Vehicle(s):
    '14 GT
    0   0   0
    I'm wondering something... I believe the Fiesta and Focus were some of the cheapest(price wise) vehicles you could buy from Ford. With the elimination of the Focus, Fiesta, and Fusion, won't Ford's average vehicle price go way up?

By eliminating cars, Ford took out a buying segment that were buying their vehicles because they had a price tag people could actually afford. A mistake in my opinion.

smoke_wagon_6g and jake_zx2 like this.
  8. Zelek

Zelek Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Premium PP, 2018 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Except they don't listen to their fan base at all and keep releasing 3 different versions of the same crossover instead of making a Mazdaspeed like everyone keeps asking for.

Timeless and EcoVert like this.
  9. SVTSNAKE355

SVTSNAKE355 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    hothands
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 GT500
    0   0   0
    Well my 2 cents is this, if FORD built their cars and SUVs like they do the F-150 they would not have this problem. If they had V8s across the line up, that would help. Why they refuse to build cars and trucks that some people want is just plain stupid. I am going to say this, IF they put a big V8 in the RAPTOR, they would sell more, IF they did a lightning truck, they would sell that, IF they had a Rattlelac v killer they would sell some of those, IF they put a big V8 In a mustang we all know that would sell. So to a point FORD is screwing FORD:explode::lipssealed:

Ghost50 likes this.
  10. Blue Horse

Blue Horse Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    It is just a matter of time,Ford started killing the Mustang after M/Y 2014, when they made the beloved Mustang to look like every other Euro box on the street,then they really messed up the great Coyote engine in M/Y 2018.Ford is doing a slow flush of what used to be a good car company.

11. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Kona Blue PP2
    0   0   0
    It's a contract year. Laid off workers love that ratification bonus, and companies know it.

12. EcoVert

EcoVert Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ecoboost convertible
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0

You think that they car about the soul of the cars they make they don't. They will build what will sell and if it's just cookie cutter cars that all look alike and drive alike as long as the public buys it they'll sell it. Profits over everything is all that matters they like all other automakers would lay off everyone and put robots in if they could.

13. Coolmanfoo

Coolmanfoo Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 gt
    0   0   0
    This. This right here. This majestic post is why Ford doesn't give a flying f*** what any "die hard" forum loyalist says. Because this guy is on a s550 forum complaining about how Ford is "killing" the mustang after 14. Yet sales went up. They gained massive market share over Camaro and are easily the dominant car in the class.

That's why Ford doesn't care what you think.

14. NoVaGT

NoVaGT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    Exactly;

Ford doesn't give a flying F about forums, as.......being honest.....the members are the lunatic fringe of owners. We're the biggest PITA to Ford, and they don't care what we think. They're a business out to make $$ on cars, and they're doing well with the Mustang, F150, and cutting production of the vehicles that aren't doing well.

I'm not saying I agree with everything they're doing, but I'm not the person running the company. And, being objective, the biggest issue with Ford is that it's a publicly traded company, and there is a Board of Directors and investors to pacify, rather than just focusing on building awesome vehicles.

15. jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    How could they do that and still be compliant with regulations for fuel economy? Newflash: They can't.

The only way they're able to continue to build cars like the GT350 and GT500, and hell, the Mustang GT, is because they sell a metric shit ton of F-150s, Edges, Mustangs, and Explorers with smaller, more fuel efficient V6 engines. Eventually, when the technology is there, they'll likely augment many of those with batteries and hybrid systems, and downsize those V6s to I-4s (like they did with killing the V6 in the Mustang). CAFE standards are what they are, and they're only going to go up, especially if a Democrat is elected for the White House.

JR

16. Blue Horse

Blue Horse Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    I think the Dodge Challenger is catching up fast,the engine and transmission problems in M/Y 2018-2019 are starting to catch up to the Mustang,I wouldn't be surprised if Challenger doesn't take the lead in the not to distant future.

17. SVTSNAKE355

SVTSNAKE355 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    hothands
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 GT500
    0   0   0
    FORD can do it if they choose too, and yes if a demoncrat gets in we are toast.TRUMP 2020:like:

18. Schwerin

Schwerin Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang BULLITT
    0   0   0
    Toyota, largest automaker in the world: It's to costly and time consuming to make a new inline 6 to use in the new Supra. *uses BMW's that's not known for quality, underrated but still making less power then NISSAN's four year old VR30DDTT*
    Mazda, smallest automaker in Japan: Hold my beer. *announced a new inline 6 engine in development*

Mazda's designs look best to me out of the Japanese makers, and they are defiantly doing great interior work and have been known for very reliable drive trains. If they would put the new 2.5T and AWD systems together with a Stick in both the 3 and 6 they would have great new Mazdaspeed line, and be a real contender to the WRX.

I feel part of what hurt US cars so much is that they took so long to start making more AWD options which also pushed people to SUV's. The only way to get AWD in most US applications is a truck, SUV, or higher end performance model. Subaru has it in all its vehicles and was hit less by the SUV swing. I'd love to see how many Ford SUV owners would have bought a Focus, or Fusion if they could have gotten AWD at a lower price point in them than the Sport and RS that were offered.

jake_zx2 likes this.
  19. Cueball

Cueball Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    Getting rid of car lines that they were making poorly. I got rid of my 2nd car - Ford Fusion SEL and got a Kia Optima EX. Car is rock solid and I love it more than I ever did the Fusion, even though it has less power. Seriously though - they sold thousands upon thousands of Focus models and got rid of the model? Stupid.

20. marks

marks Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Race Red manual Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    It's worse in the UK, the only petrol car Ford sell with a decent engine is the Mustang, otherwise it's diesels. They don't sell us the F150 Raptor but instead a Ranger Raptor and guess what engine they put in that - a 2 litre diesel, pathetic. We don't even get a petrol option on the Ford Edge and they don't sell a 7 seater like a Explorer.

Bluemustang likes this.