Sponsored

Steering Rack Calibration

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
Does anyone offer a revised map or calibration for the steering rack ? Is this anything someone could do or look into doing?

It seems like since it rides on the can bus that it would be tunable in the sense that the magneride should be tunable as well (and i know some companies offer suspension tunes for it as well)

Thank you,

-Foo1
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Does anyone offer a revised map or calibration for the steering rack ? Is this anything someone could do or look into doing?

It seems like since it rides on the can bus that it would be tunable in the sense that the magneride should be tunable as well (and i know some companies offer suspension tunes for it as well)

Thank you,

-Foo1
The companies that offer suspension tunes do it by replacing the whole Magenride computer. Which is why they are usually $1200+. I believe ONLY Ford is able to flash the stock Magneride calibration.

Last edited:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Sounds like an awful lot of trouble. The steering feels great now IMO with the Steeda front control arm bearings. Way better than stock.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
What do you want to achieve out of tuning the rack that is different than the 3 steering feel mode?
This really is the question. What is your end-state?

I posted a request similar to yours in the vendor forum a few months back, but haven’t heard anything — I could care less now though, after installing the Steeda control arms with stiff bushings my steering feel and response became all I wanted it to be and more.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
This really is the question. What is your end-state?

I posted a request similar to yours in the vendor forum a few months back, but haven’t heard anything — I could care less now though, after installing the Steeda control arms with stiff bushings my steering feel and response became all I wanted it to be and more.
Ahh I am with you there. I cant say I notice the electronic steering anymore with it Sport mode and the upgraded control arms. It just feels, natural. And it really tightens up with heavier cornering load, like really tight. I need a firm grip on the steering wheel as it loads up. As much as I want and then some.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh I am with you there. I cant say I notice the electronic steering anymore with it Sport mode and the upgraded control arms. It just feels, natural. And it really tightens up with heavier cornering load, like really tight. I need a firm grip on the steering wheel as it loads up. As much as I want and then some.
Well said. IMO it’s BMW’s wizardry hydraulic steering morphed into a modern electric-rack-assisted Mustang. Damn near perfection.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Well said. IMO it’s BMW’s wizardry hydraulic steering morphed into a modern electric-rack-assisted Mustang. Damn near perfection.
Also well put sir. I wouldn't doubt it. Now I haven't driven any of the BMW M cars so I'm clueless as to what that would feel like, but I think you and I know how vague the stock Mustang steering was.
I have heard a few people that didn't like the new BMW M steering and actually like the S550 steering better. I think what I was seeking was good, solid feedback as to what the steering was doing and tight and direct response, particularly at high speeds where it gets a little eh. That is all gone now. And now the car responds instantly to steering input. I like it so much better that I want to get a nicer steering wheel to match that tactile feel to the solid feedback I'm getting.

On another unrelated note, I find the S550 strikingly similar to the BMW cars the more I learn about them.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Also well put sir. I wouldn't doubt it. Now I haven't driven any of the BMW M cars so I'm clueless as to what that would feel like, but I think you and I know how vague the stock Mustang steering was.
I have heard a few people that didn't like the new BMW M steering and actually like the S550 steering better. I think what I was seeking was good, solid feedback as to what the steering was doing and tight and direct response, particularly at high speeds where it gets a little eh. That is all gone now. And now the car responds instantly to steering input. I like it so much better that I want to get a nicer steering wheel to match that tactile feel to the solid feedback I'm getting.

On another unrelated note, I find the S550 strikingly similar to the BMW cars the more I learn about them.
100% agreed :beer:

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Sponsored

17MustangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
I was looking for a way to stiffen the steering up myself as well and after reading your tip I went and checked out the steeda product, it says its directed at lowered cars but mine is stock height. Would this product still work for my intended application even at stock height?

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking for a way to stiffen the steering up myself as well and after reading your tip I went and checked out the steeda product, it says its directed at lowered cars but mine is stock height. Would this product still work for my intended application even at stock height?
You would just need the bushings (or bearings if you go that route). I would call them up and hear what they can offer. They may be able to take some OEM arms and insert the bits for you; a good call if you want to avoid a tedious install.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yeah just get the tension link bearings. Steeda sells them as well as J&M and I believe Cortex.
Sponsored