Sponsored

Need advice on PPF placement

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
So I just got a quote of $4500 from my installer to wrap the entire car in Suntek so I need to decide on a full wrap or partial. As a side note, I plan on getting some stone guards as well as the foam blocks as added insurance. My question is even with these 2 measures, am I going to see chips along the side of my doors and in front of the rear tire if I don’t PPF this area?

I may just cover the higher impact areas but I’m not sure. I would do the front bumper, full hood, A pillars, mirrors and fenders along with the attached picture. What are you thoughts on how the doors would look and does this cover the highest impact areas from chips?
16B55E4E-65A8-413C-B2E9-3811AE5AC2BF.jpeg
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You've covered everywhere that I've got chips on my car currently...I don't have any on the doors though, so maybe consider just following the crease of the door so it isn't as obvious there?

1814GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1971 GMC - 1988 GT - 1989 GT Pro Street - 1991 Vert - 1986 Coupe - 1987 Saleen 47
I would do as your thinking.. Entire front including A pillar and roof line and the areas that you have marked.. I would also include the are behind the rear wheel. My car is wrapped in the same way

fullsizeoutput_b6b-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Gorgeous car. Wrap it all. I'd think in the long run the price difference between full and partial coverage won't matter much.

OP
OP
dom418

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would do as your thinking.. Entire front including A pillar and roof line and the areas that you have marked.. I would also include the are behind the rear wheel. My car is wrapped in the same way
Behind the rear wheels too? Ok thanks.

The only thing I’m unsure of is how the partial wrap of the rear quarter will look as I drew it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dom418

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gorgeous car. Wrap it all. I'd think in the long run the price difference between full and partial coverage won't matter much.
I appreciate the compliment. I actually think his price isn’t bad and he comes to my home. I’ve given him a lot of business so he helps me out. If the partial PPF is not much cheaper I’ll just do the entire car. It’s only got 6 miles so now is the time

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
I'm curious about this as well. I think the Full wrap is a bit too much... at this time. I was going to do the full front (bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors) and then just the rear where you drew it too. The rear has been my main issue on my old R... I want to make sure it doesn't happen on my current one.

I think doing the whole rear quarter costs 1300 per side... as opposed to 200 or something like that for just the little section in front of the wheels.

My last R had no protection, other than Ceramic coat... but that didn't help against rock chips. The rear quarter, right in front of the wheels was pretty danged up... more than the front bumper.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
$4500 is very reasonable for a whole car. Ask them to wrap the edges, it better protects the paint and you won't see as many lines. If you opt for partial PPF, I would do whole front end (bumper, hood, fenders, lights and turn signals), A pillars, roof, rear view mirrors, lid and spoiler, rear bumper, rocker panels, and rear wheel impact areas (area in front of rear wheel).

As for rock guards, don't get the ZL1 addons. Instead. The jeagar brothers rock guards are a better solution. They are not cheap, but you don't have to rely on double sided tape to hold the guards on. I had the ZL1 s and they eventually fall off.

Back to the PPF. If you can afford the $4500, I would do that. The list above is just about everything except the doors and quarter panels. They are worth protecting IMHO. See what the price difference is.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Wings1090

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R "HR612" ; 2009 Cobalt SS
Vehicle Showcase
$4500 dollars is very reasonable (I was quoted $6500 to fully wrap my car in XPEL (XPEL Stealth on the stripes)).

PPF is very much worth it IMHO as well.

I've wrapped similar to everyone above (Front Clip, Doors (Door Dings), A-Pillars/Roof, Rockers, Full Stripes, Rear Impacts, Luggage rack, and lip of the spoiler).

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I PPF'd my car before I knew of all the "problem" areas. I did the nose (but not the lights), leading edge of front quarters, 18" of the hood, mirrors and the bumper cover where the trunk opens.

Knowing what I know now I would have done the front of the rear quarters, black trunk panel, "A" pillars and the leading edge of the roof. Doing the whole panel is ideal because you do not see the edges of the film. In my case the edges are not too obvious. I did install the ZL1 rock guards, but since I bought my car used and did not inspect the area before installing them, I cannot comment for sure on how well they work. It is true the double stick tape will fail. I did call ZL1 and they sent me another set free with what I assume is better tape. I have not yet installed them.

You may ask why I do not get the areas I did not do originally done now. That is because the company that did mine did an absolutely horrible job and there are no other reputable installers in my area. Eventually it will all have to be removed and replaced at the expense of my stripes..

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I would have done my entire car if the cost was $4500. Quotes were ranging $6500 and above here, or more than triple the cost of just doing the entire front end.

I didn't do the rear quarter panels in front of the rear tires since I installed rock guards on the front tires. Almost 3 years in, no chips on the rear quarter, but I also don't encounter dirt/gravel roads so ymmv.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I didn't notice if you have stripes. IMHO, stripes are all or nothing. If you only do partial stripes, it will look bad. Matte stripes need Xpel stealth.

OP
OP
dom418

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have done my entire car if the cost was $4500. Quotes were ranging $6500 and above here, or more than triple the cost of just doing the entire front end.

I didn't do the rear quarter panels in front of the rear tires since I installed rock guards on the front tires. Almost 3 years in, no chips on the rear quarter, but I also don't encounter dirt/gravel roads so ymmv.
Are you on stock tires?
Sponsored