Need advice on R springs

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
If there is one thing Ive learned from hanging out on these forums is that there is a lot of knowledge out there from a lot of folks, a lot smarter than me. Hence my question to the folks "In The Know."

Id like to lower my stock 350, but not by much. As we all know, these cars are low already. This car is strictly a weekend warrior so, daily drive comfort is not a priority. Of course there are the FP springs that lower about .75 of an inch but I think i read somewhere that "R" springs will lower the car but only about 1/2 inch, which is exactly what Im looking for. Is this true? If true, are there any significant ride or handling changes that I should expect? Good or bad. Have any of you guys done this AND how how do you like the change? Would you recommend it? BTW I should add that I will be running 30 series tires before too long, which I know will lower the car slightly as well.

Additionally, I know that I could go with BMR springs that have a drop of about 1/2 inch, but I understand those springs are linear and Im not sure how those would affect things vs the R spring set up.

Last Question. I was at FORD today and asked for a quote on R springs. This is what they gave me:
FR3Z5560X Spring REAR $113.25
FR3Z5560Y Spring REAR $93.97
FR3Z5310M Spring FRONT (2) $75.14
TOTAL $304.24

Does this check out? Are these the right part numbers? I guess the Rears are really unique. The guy at the counter didnt seem 100% sure.

Thanks Everyone, really appreciate any advice/confirmation.
Sponsored

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Chris,
I had a very similar concern as you. I have a 2016 Base GT350, and wanted it just a tad lower in front, but mainly a little stiffer rate also. I studied all the options, and what I decided on was: 1/4" lower in front with a stiffer rate, and no change to the back.
So, I ordered the FR3Z-5310-M front springs for the 'R'. These do lower the front by 1/2". However I ended up making Two 1/4" spacers for under the upper shock tower (Between the shock tower and strut mount) to get me my 1/4" drop. I made the spacers from 1/4" hard poly sheet I bought from eBay.
The Stock Front Springs on the GT350 are rated at 194#.
The 'R' Front springs have a rate of 240#.
The rear springs for the 'R' are the same rate (914#), but lower the car 1/2" from the stock GT350 rear springs.
The GT350 'R' is 1" lower than the regular GT350, It gets 1/2" from the springs, and 1/2" from the tires.

This mod for me turned out perfect, The ride is not too stiff (I really like it) and I found that I don't drag the front splitter as much as I used too.

Hope this helps,
-jv

OP
OP
5.2 L V8

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
Thanks John,

Very helpful and exactly what I was looking for. Everything makes sense. I think I will go ahead with the R springs changeover. I'll try to post some pics before and after.

Thanks again.

C
Sponsored