OP
OP
dom418

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Ordered the Jaeger rock guards this week and am heavily leaning towards doing the entire car in suntek since I’m OCD.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Ordered the Jaeger rock guards this week and am heavily leaning towards doing the entire car in suntek since I’m OCD.
You won't regret it. As ling as they do a good job. Most installers use the templates by Xpel. Those templates leave the edges exposed. You really want to ask your installer to get relief on the templates so he can wrap all the edges. A for instance.... The roof where it does a 90 down to meet the windshield glass winds up being exposed, the wheel well areas, the hood, the fender along the hood line are all exposed.

Ask your installer to wrap all edges that risk exposure to impact. All it takes is one rock to hit a risk area, and your PPF job was all for nothing.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I second the Jaeger bros rock guards... but about the wrap.
I bought the GT350 front bumper kit from xpel.com, + headlights, turn signals and rear fenders. I live in MA, plenty of shit roads and rocks and pebbles... Not a scratch 2 years later. If you apply to the whole car, prepare to pay another 5G to remove it 3-4 years down the line, it does not last much longer than that.
I applied it myself, cost was under 400 bucks all up for everything, just some elbow grease and a heat gun to stretch it as needed around the round surfaces...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I second the Jaeger bros rock guards... but about the wrap.
I bought the GT350 front bumper kit from xpel.com, + headlights, turn signals and rear fenders. I live in MA, plenty of shit roads and rocks and pebbles... Not a scratch 2 years later. If you apply to the whole car, prepare to pay another 5G to remove it 3-4 years down the line, it does not last much longer than that.
I applied it myself, cost was under 400 bucks all up for everything, just some elbow grease and a heat gun to stretch it as needed around the round surfaces...
I was quoted 400 bucks when the time came for whole car Xpel removal

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Is that removal timeframe a very rough estimate? Wouldn't that be dependent on how the car is cared for; garaged all the time, not a DD, etc?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Is that removal timeframe a very rough estimate? Wouldn't that be dependent on how the car is cared for; garaged all the time, not a DD, etc?
Correct. Cars that live inside can go longer.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
The sun does most damage to what I have seen....If the car does not spend much time in the sun, and you do protect the film with something like Carpro reload or whatever Xpel recommends, it will last longer... But it will shat itself and become slightly tinted after some time, like all plastics. If you leave it too long, it will be a pain to remove, and it will break, even when heated... I spent 4 hours taking off the film off the bonnet on my BMW, it had some 5 + y.o. tint there...

Thrownaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350R
True that area may not do much. I'm not an expert on aero. Maybe Ford put it there for no good reason (doesn't seem likely to me).

I've noticed the Ford GT has a similar opening behind the front wheels. It's fully enclosed and much larger, though. Probably nobody puts rock guards on the Ford GT version. I wonder how much aerodynamic impact it has on the Ford GT?
I have used the rock guards and they dont stay on on. My rockers are PPF so I am not concerned.

As far as the GT is concerned there are screens that people use for road use only and take of for high speed events. Everyone PPFs the entire car so rock chips are not a concern(multiple layers for high risk areas).

https://fordgtforum.myshopify.com/c...g-2017-ford-gt-aero-tunnel-protection-screens

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The sun does most damage to what I have seen....If the car does not spend much time in the sun, and you do protect the film with something like Carpro reload or whatever Xpel recommends, it will last longer... But it will shat itself and become slightly tinted after some time, like all plastics. If you leave it too long, it will be a pain to remove, and it will break, even when heated... I spent 4 hours taking off the film off the bonnet on my BMW, it had some 5 + y.o. tint there...
The Xpel does continue to evolve. The stuff these days lasts longer and is more resistant to discoloration. Agreed, if you care for it, it will last longer. 5 years is the rule of thumb for cars that live outside. Take care of it and keep it inside and it will go much longer (so I was told by my installer).

OP
OP
dom418

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
My car will be driven roughly 1000 miles a year and the only hesitation I have is the horror stories of the older films forming a super bond with the paint if not removed after so many years. My installer says that was true with the older 3M bras but not with today’s films like Suntek. I’m hoping it lasts a heck of a lot longer than 5 years

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A

derand

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.derand.com
First Name
Derand
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, C8, R8 V10 Gated, Golf R APR, 19 GT350
We can wrap your full car for 4500.00 Canadian dollars in XPEL Ultimate and we do a lot of mustangs every month. Get a passport and come up here and get it done. That's like 3500.00 US dollars plus the gas and your time to drive up to the North. Or you can order a pre-cut kit from us in Canadian Dollars any parts of your car you need.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
We can wrap your full car for 4500.00 Canadian dollars in XPEL Ultimate and we do a lot of mustangs every month. Get a passport and come up here and get it done. That's like 3500.00 US dollars plus the gas and your time to drive up to the North. Or you can order a pre-cut kit from us in Canadian Dollars any parts of your car you need.
that's a deal. lowest price around so-cal is $5k USD. most around $6k USD.