Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Per: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26884738/ford-mustang-hybrid-electric-suv-production/
  • Ford has announced production changes that coincide with pending requirements of the United States-Canada-Mexico Agreement (USCMA) and potential tariffs on imported vehicles.
  • Ford is adding more jobs to its Flat Rock, Michigan, plant than it had anticipated, including for a fleet of automated vans.
  • The Mustang hybrid and an unnamed electric crossover are still on schedule.
Michigan auto workers will not build Ford's all-electric SUV as former CEO Mark Fields promised in 2017. Instead, auto workers at Ford's Cuautitlan, Mexico, plant who currently assemble the Fiesta will finish the Blue Oval's first ground-up EV, effectively axing the plan for the company's Flat Rock, Michigan, plant to produce all of its "long range" electric cars.

The Flat Rock plant, which currently builds the Mustang and the Lincoln Continental, will build the next-gen Mustang hybrid. Both the unnamed EV and the gas-electric Mustang are still scheduled to debut in 2020, most likely as 2021 models, and are part of an $11.1 billion push to sell 16 battery-electric and 24 hybrid models worldwide by 2022.

The EV's production move coincides with the next-gen Transit Connect van, currently built in Valencia, Spain, that will also move to Mexico and replace the Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ assembly line in Hermosillo. It's unclear what these moves mean for the future of the Continental and MKZ, as Lincoln has not yet made any announcements about dropping its sedan offerings as Ford has.

These announcements underscore company pressure to comply with the USCMA, which requires stricter compliance on labor and parts manufacturing for vehicles to qualify for zero-duty trade among the three nations. Otherwise, Ford would continue to pay 25 percent tariffs for imported vans; like the rest of the auto industry, the company is worried about threats by the Trump administration to instate such a tariff on all imported vehicles.

Despite retooling in Mexico, Ford is adding more jobs to the Flat Rock plant than the 700 jobs Fields had targeted when he announced it would also build autonomous vehicles for ride hailing and ride sharing. The automaker says it will add a second shift and create up to 900 new jobs at Flat Rock by 2023, which will include a dedicated center to convert existing hybrids into "purpose-built, commercial-grade" vehicles with "unique interiors" and at least Level 4 self-driving capability. These will be available in 2021. We suspect this will comprise a small fleet of automated Transit Connect vans that enterprising tech companies will use to ship packages and ferry passengers in very specific areas of the country.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Ford is shitting the bed. I'll be switching to Chevy.

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I’m not sold on the idea

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
Time marches on. I have a 2020 GT500 on order (number one at my dealer) and I'll happily get one of those Mustang inspired SUVs for the Mrs. Their strategy seems right on to me!

Sponsored

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Really surprised that the hybrid Mustang will debut on the S550 platform.........I'd have thought it would make more sense for it to appear on a platform (S650) designed with hybridization in mind from the get-go!
It looks like Mustang gets the CD6 for MY 2021, thus the hybrid Mustang also on that chassis. S550 chassis is the last single purpose-built Mustang chassis.

The CD6 is an all-new design that accommodates front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive products. The Explorer and Aviator will get the RWD/AWD version of the architecture, but Ford won’t stop there. According to “sources familiar with The Blue Oval’s future product plans,” the next Mustang will also go CD6.

Ford Authority reports the S650 “is on the way for the 2021 model year” and “won’t depart drastically from the established formula.” Among the changes that are bound to happen are aluminum construction and hybrid power.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It looks like Mustang gets the CD6 for MY 2021, thus the hybrid Mustang also on that chassis. S550 chassis is the last single purpose-built Mustang chassis.

The CD6 is an all-new design that accommodates front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive products. The Explorer and Aviator will get the RWD/AWD version of the architecture, but Ford won’t stop there. According to “sources familiar with The Blue Oval’s future product plans,” the next Mustang will also go CD6.

Ford Authority reports the S650 “is on the way for the 2021 model year” and “won’t depart drastically from the established formula.” Among the changes that are bound to happen are aluminum construction and hybrid power.

Depends on which source you believe :)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/7th-generation-mustang-s650-moved-to-2022.104738/ (S650/23MY)

The '20MY will be rolling down the production lines in just a few months.........if S650 is a '21MY, we'd have seen some significant prototypes by now, but all we've seen is a very mildly camo'd S550.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Really surprised that the hybrid Mustang will debut on the S550 platform.........I'd have thought it would make more sense for it to appear on a platform (S650) designed with hybridization in mind from the get-go!
Maybe the changes that was made to the S550 is the new S650?
Just speculating......

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
Let's hope they'll bundle electric and regular power like Volvo T series for example and not a prius concept with no extra power...

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
I'm actually shocked to hear that too. I thought the hybrid would go on the S650.
Why the sudden rush?

Sponsored

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
What I have been seeing is that there will be a mild refresh of the S550 for MY2021 and MY2022. The hybrids will be produced at Flat Rock with an expansion of those facilities. The nearby stamping plant might be producing various components.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like a Chevy with a mustang emblem. Maybe it's not just a hybrid crossover but a calibration with gm as well. Either way I think it's a silly idea!
Screenshot_20190321-161526_Chrome.jpg

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The problem I have with all the hybrid/E e-vehicles is that manufacturer wide support AND installation of world/nation wide charging stations have not been done. This seems to be counter intuitive to electric vehicles in general. As well, I watched a ST episode recently where Matt Farah could not find a charging station for a Jag E-pace he was driving, and the one he did find charged him $35 for 72 miles of charge. I fail to see the cost benefits at the present time justifying any electric vehicle. Tons of cars are nearly zero emissions as it is, its costlier and worse on the environment to dispose and create batteries, and you cannot use electricity to generate electricity so Oil, Nuclear, and other conventional means are still needed just to charge the vehicles.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It looks like a Chevy with a mustang emblem. Maybe it's not just a hybrid crossover but a calibration with gm as well. Either way I think it's a silly idea!
Screenshot_20190321-161526_Chrome.jpg
Someone on the design team is influenced by the Fox 4-eye.....
Sponsored