Cleaning Engine Bay

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
It's not bad taking it off, it's just a few screws and push pins. Washing it with Dawn soap would probably work well, it breaks down oil.
I looked on Saturday and through it was all riveted in place. I'll have to pay more attention and learn. Thank you.
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I looked on Saturday and through it was all riveted in place. I'll have to pay more attention and learn. Thank you.
Sorry, just seen you have a 2018, it might be different, I have a 2016. I would assume it's still just held on by push pins and screws. By rivets do you mean the plastic push pins? If so they are easy to take off, just pop up the center section with a small screw driver and pull the entire pin out.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
Sorry, just seen you have a 2018, it might be different, I have a 2016. I would assume it's still just held on by push pins and screws. By rivets do you mean the plastic push pins? If so they are easy to take off, just pop up the center section with a small screw driver and pull the entire pin out.
I'll have to give it another look. When I was under there I was irritated with the sloppy oil change from the dealership. I want to remove it so I can get all the gunk off of it.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll have to give it another look. When I was under there I was irritated with the sloppy oil change from the dealership. I want to remove it so I can get all the gunk off of it.
American Muscle has a video on Youtube with the process of pulling the tray in their chin spoiler install video on a 2018. It's the same at the 2016 I have. Just a bunch of 7mm bolts and push pins. Easy job with a drill and 7mm socket.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
For car shows, the first thing I do is vacuum the hood liner (really). It gets pretty dirty, you'd be surprised how nice it looks afterward. The resulting dust that falls down is cleaned up when I do the remainder of the engine compartment. I've been using Croftgate Tire Shine on the rubber bits, and even the black plastic. There's no petroleum in the stuff, and the application seems to last a long time. Just makes things look clean and not a fake wet shine. I use a spray wax on the painted parts and touch it up with detailer when it gets dusty. Think I've only wet things down and actually washed in there once.

Sponsored

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Donā€™t Laugh until you tried it. Scrubbing bubbles without bleach. Yes bathroom cleaner. Works great

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm sure it's been said already but really light water and stay away from connectors. One of the biggest reasons why dealerships chose my company for make ready is because I dont use water on my engine bays. I know your in a crunch now but for.the future invest in a streamer. McCullough makes one for 200 dollars and its lasted me years if you maintain it correctly. IMO this is the best and safest way to clean an engine. You can steam interiors paint wheels. I even use it when I clean ATVs
Steam, degreaser, assortment of brushes and patience I promise you will have the cleanest engine bay.
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4568.JPG
View attachment 347298 View attachment 347299
IMG_4649.JPG
IMG_4739.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I would also recommend drying after rinsing before heating up so you don't leave water spots, for those that have hard water.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure it's been said already but really light water and stay away from connectors. One of the biggest reasons why dealerships chose my company for make ready is because I dont use water on my engine bays. I know your in a crunch now but for.the future invest in a streamer. McCullough makes one for 200 dollars and its lasted me years if you maintain it correctly. IMO this is the best and safest way to clean an engine. You can steam interiors paint wheels. I even use it when I clean ATVs
Steam, degreaser, assortment of brushes and patience I promise you will have the cleanest engine bay.
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4568.JPG
View attachment 347298 View attachment 347299
IMG_4649.JPG
IMG_4739.JPG
Iā€™ve never seen a Mercedes V2!! Haha nice work man. I love a clean engine bay to match a clean car

Sponsored

ChosenJuan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
If I'm going to spray down the engine bay with a garden hose, what needs to be covered up before I get everything all wet? I was thinking CAI, but what about the battery, alternator, etc? I see some exposed cables

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I covered my Steeda intake, fuse box, and alternator. I sprayed everything very lightly with the shower setting on a hose nozzle, sprayed on some Chemical Guys Nonsense cleaner, used a small brush to break up the dirt in the areas that needed it, then lightly rinsed everything off. It only took a few minutes, turned out great, and I didn't have any issues. I plan to do it again this spring. After I was done I sprayed everything down with Meguiars Hyper Dressing. I got the Hyper Dressing tip from the Obsessed Garage channel when he cleans his GT350 engine bay.

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
You need to cover for CAI and the MAF sensor, coil packs, fuse box. The dyno connector by the air filter. Any connections you see on the wiring harness. Sounds like overkill but I've seen so many problems come from a water hose. IMO you would be better off going to a power washing place. It's less direct water on the connections and you can angle away from them easier than a water hose. +1 for chemical guys though.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Here's how I have been keeping engines clean for eons...

1) Spray down under hood and engine bay (do not "supersoak", just spray down)
2) Get Simple Green - it will not harm metal or plastic surfaces
3) Spray the SG liberally over the entire engine and engine compartment
4) Wait about a good 10-15 mins
5) Rinse
6) Close hood and start engine
7) Let vehicle run a good 15 mins so heat from engine will dry mostly everything
8) Turn off vehicle
9) Pop hood and manually dry any areas where water may be laying
10) Use a dressing of your choice to wipe down any rubber/plastic items so they have a sheen - NOT a wet gloss.

That's it... been doing it for years, never had any issues afterwards. You can get the engine bay wet, but what some folks do wrong is they supersoak or drown it, which is when you run into starting problems.
This seems pretty legit. Just like this video below, but they use something called P21S Total Auto Wash. Check it out, think it's worth it? 5L jug for $67 but the guy swears by it. I would cover my exposed air filter. I need to check if our alternator is exposed...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfMeMKoCPJE

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thinking about trying the P21S. Anyone ever find it in some B&M or is it strictly order and wait?
Sponsored