Sponsored

Engine bay cleaning

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I'd been avoiding cleaning my engine bay, but after 5 years and 67k miles it was getting kinda gross in there. I was reluctant to pop the hood in public for the shame. Years ago I really discolored the aluminum block on a car by using simple green on it and I was concerned about getting water in the wrong place and causing an issue or short. My brake fluid reservoir was so gross you couldn't tell if there was fluid in it or not.

Well after forgetting to put the oil fill cap back on and driving for a while, that kind of forced the issue. Oil everywhere on the passenger side of the engine bay

Picked up some Zep heavy duty citrus degreaser, wet down the obvious stuff (let it sit for 1 min), then followed up with a soapy sponge on the easily accessible stuff, and then rised with a couple of buckets of water and dried with a short drive.

Man it looks so much better now. I should have done this years ago.
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I go over my engine bay after each wash, this keeps on top of it and negates the need for a big clean up.

I dry up any remaining water from the wash with a microfibre, using a bit of quick detailer as a drying aid to add some shine.

dec305.jpg

I dress the plastics every fourth of fifth wash, used VRP last time but 303 is my go to for this.

jan21123.jpg

DSC-0376.jpg

I have seen these type of wheel brushes used for getting into the depths of the engine bay too.

may1911.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
First...

Austin: (@NightmareMoon) I salute your honesty on the engine bay care and happy you had a positive outcome this time. That Simple Green, at full strength, can be dangerous. I always dilute by a hundred percent. And, now that I've found the Adam's Family (chuckling...loved that show) of products, I fell in love with their All Purpose and Wheel Cleaner solutions..much better than SG.

DFB: Nearly every one of your posts make me smile because we're both far too obsessive for our health. <chuckling again> Couldn't get by without 303 although I also use VRP for other things. BUT...excellent tip on using a big wheel brush in the engine bay. But as you said, since our habits are so similar, it doesn't get very dirty in there. :cool:

Just gave my girl a bath yesterday, she had road dust everywhere...<grin> and I'm getting close to parking her for ten days or so to do the 205/ultra-fine pad polish and some light scratch removal before ceramic as well as install her side stripes. Not looking forward to the work but I know it will be well worth it. Gotta get busy as it will be rapidly warming up down here before too long.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
DFB: Nearly every one of your posts make me smile because we're both far too obsessive for our health. <chuckling again> Couldn't get by without 303 although I also use VRP for other things. BUT...excellent tip on using a big wheel brush in the engine bay. But as you said, since our habits are so similar, it doesn't get very dirty in there. :cool:
I say it often, but detailing keeps me sane. It's a constructive distraction from the crap in the world.