• Thread starter Deleted member 35786
  • Start date
  • Watchers 78

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
https://jalopnik.com/video-showing-...MI4rKsE6yhNYpIwPRFQRAtIA-EXOjPvQmlo633kj0r-kg

Good job!

Strangely, Martin did not concede that the employees drove the car recklessly. “A Mustang high performance car can be driven at 75 mph... it doesn’t ruin tires and brakes and rotors and all this stuff.”
It’s interesting how “Martin” states to Jalopnik that he himself tried to make things right.... but yet he sees nothing wrong with a Customer’s vehicle being flogged to 75mph in a Residential Zone.

Maybe “Martin” should be removed from the payroll as well.

—
Per the Ford Sales and Service Agreement (found at U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission), a certain Dealership needs a refresher course on what it signed:

Paragraph 6: OTHER DEALER AND COMPANY RESPONSIBILITIES
Subsection H: Customer Handling
6. (h) CUSTOMER HANDLING. The Dealer shall cooperate with Company programs, and develop and maintain his own programs, designed to develop good relationships between the Dealer and the public. The Dealer shall promptly investigate and handle all matters brought to his attention by the Company or the public relating to the sale or servicing of COMPANY PRODUCTS in the DEALER'S LOCALITY, in accordance with procedures set forth in the applicable CUSTOMER SERVICE BULLETIN, so as to develop public confidence in the Dealer, the Company and COMPANY PRODUCTS.The Dealer shall report promptly to the Company the details of each inquiry or complaint received by the Dealer relating to any COMPANY PRODUCT which the Dealer cannot handle satisfactorily. The Dealer shall not make, directly or indirectly, any false or misleading statement or representation to any customer as to any VEHICLE, GENUINE PART or other COMPANY PRODUCT as to the source, condition or capabilities thereof, or the Dealer's or the Company's prices or charges therefor or for distribution, delivery, taxes or other items.

Paragraph 17: TERMINATION OR NONRENEWAL OF AGREEMENT
Subsection (C): BY COMPANY FOR NONPERFORMANCE BY DEALER OF SALES, SERVICE, FACILITIES OR OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES. If the Dealer shall fail to fulfill any of his responsibilities with respect to:
17 (c) (5) Other responsibilities under the provisions of subparagraphs 6(a) through 6(h) (as to signs, personnel, residence, capital, accounting system, financial reports, delivery or sales reports or customer handling), subparagraph 6(j) (as to laws, rules or regulations), paragraph 12 (as to records, inspections and tests) or paragraph 14 (as to the Dealer not being an agent of the Company) of this agreement, the Company shall notify the Dealer in writing of such failure or failures, will offer to review promptly with the Dealer the reasons which, in the Company's or Dealer's opinion, account for such failure or failures and will provide the Dealer with a reasonable opportunity to cure the same. If the Dealer fails or refuses to cure the same within a reasonable time after such notice, the Company may terminate or not renew this agreement by giving the Dealer at least ninety (90) days prior written notice thereof.

17. (F) BY COMPANY AT WILL. If this agreement is not for a stated term specified in paragraph G of this agreement, the Company may terminate this agreement at will at any time by giving the Dealer at least one hundred and twenty (120) days prior written notice thereof.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Reading the Jalopnik article, it looks like you're asking for the work you did to be comp'd, a new clutch, new brakes, and new tires. I think the first two are fair (they do talk about burning the clutch), but I think that there's nothing I saw in the video that would justify replacing the brakes and tires. Sure, it may just be a start for negotiations, but I don't think you'll get that far. I'd likely aim for the first two plus 1/2 off dealer price for an extended warranty and call it a day.

Edit: Liked the news story as well on NBC 4.

Last edited:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Sure, it may just be a start for negotiations...
Shhhhh! Let's not give anyone who might be listening any false hope. As has been noted, this isn't about what he can get, it's about principle. The dealer doesn't seem willing to acknowledge the gravity of what his employee did. The way to MAKE him acknowledge it is to make him pay.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Shhhhh! Let's not give anyone who might be listening any false hope. As has been noted, this isn't about what he can get, it's about principle. The dealer doesn't seem willing to acknowledge the gravity of what his employee did. The way to MAKE him acknowledge it is to make him pay.
This. I think the OP would feel at least a bit better if the dealership acknowledged that this was messed up, sincerely & profusely apologized and those techs got reprimanded severely. Obviously his clutch should be replaced and that 2nd gear thunk should be looked at for free too, IMO.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Suhail, I am so glad you got this on the news! This situation made me furious....obviously not as furious as you...but you did exactly what needed to be done. Thank you for not letting this go. You obviously deserve a new clutch/pressure plate and possibly flywheel. I think it is fine to ask for new tires and brakes but those items are less important. You taught them a lesson and while that puts no money in your pocket, it must be worth a lot of satisfaction.

Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Brakes , rotors and tires are a bit much . I track my car and abuse those components 1000x more in a 20 minute session then a "joy ride" , and wear is minimal.

Clutch is probably fine too , but here is where they need to go " extra effort " to make up for their screw up.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
But the leverage is gone. "You know, it would look really bad if I took this to the news" only works until you take it to the news.

At this point, the dealer's reputation has taken about as big a hit as it's going to. Asking for things that have a basis in what's going on ("Your techs admitted damaging the clutch in the video") has you come across as reasonable. Asking for unrelated stuff ("They used the brakes and tires at highway speeds for 10 minutes so I want new ones") comes across as unreasonable and let's the dealer pull out the "I want to satisfy him but I'm not going to rebuild his car" quote in every story.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
But the leverage is gone. "You know, it would look really bad if I took this to the news" only works until you take it to the news.

At this point, the dealer's reputation has taken about as big a hit as it's going to. Asking for things that have a basis in what's going on ("Your techs admitted damaging the clutch in the video") has you come across as reasonable. Asking for unrelated stuff ("They used the brakes and tires at highway speeds for 10 minutes so I want new ones") comes across as unreasonable and let's the dealer pull out the "I want to satisfy him but I'm not going to rebuild his car" quote in every story.
This is a good point, but it doesn't seem like the dealership took him seriously. From what I've seen, they only offered to refund the $380 alignment charge and were telling him to prove they had possession of the car lol. As far as compensation, I think the correct play would have been to ask for an extended warranty (in this case a refund since the owner already has ESP on the car or a free extension to the maximum term/mileage) plus the premium maintenance plan. Between the two, everything but the tires would have been covered and I think it's a realistic settlement to pursue. There is no way they are going to agree for him to take it to a different dealer/shop, get a bunch of components replaced and then pay his bill. At the very least they'll want to do any repairs themselves and by going with the ESP/Maintenance plan, he can get most of it done free of charge and without having to leave the car in these scumbags' hands again.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Saw the jalopnik article this mor5, instantly thought of this thread, hope it works out for you. I don't necessarily agree with all of your demands but some of them are reasonable.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It looks like people have started posting negative reviews about the dealer on Google, DealerRater and Yelp and linking the Jalopnik story.

Sponsored

VUDU CHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
CAUTION YOU WILL BE ENRAGED AFTER WATCHING THIS VIDEO...my next purchase is a dash cam...Please pay close attention when bringing your car to the dealer...

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
My dashcam is always on when getting a service. Its mounted behind my mirror and they don't seem to notice it. So far, so good, the techs have always babied mine....:like:

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Notwithstanding the abuse to the car. The driving is reckless and dangerous. Could quite tell, but it looked like they hit 60 mph on the side street!

RBINCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 10r80 GT, 07 GT500 Vert
Got you!! This stuff happens all the time, glad you have proof so someone can be held accountable. Years ago I bought a new Lexus and took it back to the dealer for the first service. Dealership called that the car was ready and when I went to pick it up they could not find my car for 45 minutes. Dealership would never admit someone was joy riding in my car but they could not explain why my car was missing, never went back.
Sponsored