Sound Tube Delete completed

S550JMH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I ordered the Firewall plug from LMR to clean up the engine bay because my aftermarket CAI didn't utilize the tube. The entire project took about 3 minutes. I did not undo the nut on the firewall, just pulled and it popped off easy enough. I have a Manual so there was a line preventing me from getting my hand behind the engine. I just popped it of its bracket and pushed it down enough to get my hand back there. I have small hands and it was a tight fit. The plug I used was a genuine ford part and fit perfectly.

Now to move on to installing Steeda Jacking Rails and the Steeda H-pipe this weekend
Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the Firewall plug from LMR to clean up the engine bay because my aftermarket CAI didn't utilize the tube. The entire project took about 3 minutes. I did not undo the nut on the firewall, just pulled and it popped off easy enough. I have a Manual so there was a line preventing me from getting my hand behind the engine. I just popped it of its bracket and pushed it down enough to get my hand back there. I have small hands and it was a tight fit. The plug I used was a genuine ford part and fit perfectly.

Now to move on to installing Steeda Jacking Rails and the Steeda H-pipe this weekend
I'm waiting for my left hand to heal from my attempt to remove that &%@^&# stupid sound tube. Why anybody would think a sound tube would be needed on a car that makes its own music is beyond me but they did hide it well.

OP
OP

S550JMH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm waiting for my left hand to heal from my attempt to remove that &%@^&# stupid sound tube. Why anybody would think a sound tube would be needed on a car that makes its own music is beyond me but they did hide it well.
This is one instance that I am grateful for smaller hands. It was very tight but I was able to get back there and only come out with a minor scratch. I thought the sound tube was an ugly addition to a beautiful engine. When I first bought it I was like WTF is that.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
What exactly is the purpose of this sound tube? And why is removing it something worthwhile doing?

OP
OP

S550JMH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
What exactly is the purpose of this sound tube? And why is removing it something worthwhile doing?
It pipes engine noise into the cabin. Whether its worthwhile is personal preference. All it does is cleans up the engine bay. Since half of mine was deleted with the CAI install it was worthwhile for me to spend $12 on a plug to delete the rest at the firewall because I like the way it looks.

Sponsored

1TUFF_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP. 2001 Mustang GT Cam’d & Vortech’d
That plug costs like 5-6 bucks at your local auto parts store.

It pipes engine noise into the cabin. Whether its worthwhile is personal preference. All it does is cleans up the engine bay. Since half of mine was deleted with the CAI install it was worthwhile for me to spend $12 on a plug to delete the rest at the firewall because I like the way it looks.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Thanks - I'll wait until I install my CAI to pop mine off too.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
This is one instance that I am grateful for smaller hands. It was very tight but I was able to get back there and only come out with a minor scratch. I thought the sound tube was an ugly addition to a beautiful engine. When I first bought it I was like WTF is that.
I caught the top of my hand in between and scratched it up pretty good. I am installing a new x-pipe resonator delete soon and will try to get it out then.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I sliced my arm nicely getting the plug in there. I am glad that stupid thing is gone.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
OP
OP

S550JMH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
you can get to the firewall nut from below with a 1/4 socket and some extensions and elbows. It makes removal a lot easier...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Its worthwhile if (a) you don't like the sound, (b) you think it looks like crap when you open the hood, (c) you don't like how it makes work in some areas harder, (d) you were shamed for losing performance with 87 octane and don't want to risk the same for lugging around unnecessary weight, and/or (e) you are trying to reduce the nose heaviness of the GT (:wink:).

Last edited:
OP
OP

S550JMH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
you can get to the firewall nut from below with a 1/4 socket and some extensions and elbows. It makes removal a lot easier...
I didn’t even remove the nut. Just pulled the tube and it came off with minimal resistance
Sponsored