Perceptions of Middle-age Men in Mustangs

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hmm interesting! I'm inline with everyone else. Guys exclusively at extreme edges of the age spectrum. Teens and retirees LOL

I'm 27 and still in the dating scene. I find myself disclosing my auto/motorcycle stuff at the very last possible moment and it's still a touchy subject. Not sure if it's my millennial generation or the whole car scene in general these days.

In my age group at least.. I think it comes off as materialistic/chauvinistic and more often than not... NOT having your financial/professional life in order!! Too many tricked out Autozone built Cavaliers/Hondas/pickups or whatever... living with the parents. Ruined the image for everyone else.

Anyways, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I think I'm doing pretty well at my age. Have a Mortgage. Good job. Grad Degree. Drive an R and a nice Ducati... but man those last two bits of info leaves such an awful taste in my date's mouth.
I'm also 27. I went from owning a beat up 97 to a sparkly new 2019. The thing that I learned, while dating, is to not even bother with anything materialistic. Sure, ask about profession and what not but don't bother beyond that. You drive your gt350R because YOU like it. Half the problem is that guys our age are still in the "I'm trying to prove myself" phase, and women are weary of this. The ones that get ahead early shove said fact into everyone's face. I've had countless fast food dates, that ended with a lay, where the woman spent a good amount of time going on about how she can't stand guys who buy her expensive flowers or go way out of their way to do expensive things on the first date because it gives off the impression that the guy is trying to prove that he has money. If the car comes up, don't explain it, show why it's fun. A lot of women who gave me a slanted look for dumping an absurd amount of money into a 97 Mustang quickly changed their expression when they were able to experience first hand how fun the car was. If it's still a problem then forget the girl. In the age of tinder and online dating it's all too easy to find an attractive woman who has a dozen dates lined up and is weighing everyone based on financial success or life priorities (I've had women ask about my opinion on wanting children on the first date, just... no). Then you come to find out she ends up with the guy without a job, has gotten pregnant, and both are living in her parents' basement. But he gave her that kid she wanted so it's okay! Focus on the girls who actually want to get to know you, and sideline the materialistic ones for a good romp. I can't say it's a generational thing, though, unless you're pursuing much younger women. I'd have to say that the women who judged me based on my car or whatever seemed to be in the minority. Most would, even while admitting to not knowing anything about cars, tend to be more curious and excited about learning about what I had done to the car. The breath of fresh air, for the girl, comes from knowing you're not some monkey with an autozone built civic, or some punk kid who got a fast car because of daddy.
Sponsored

TN GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT Premium PP MT82
Vehicle Showcase
but man those last two bits of info leaves such an awful taste in my date's mouth
That's when I would start easing toward the exit... When I was your age, which I am now x2, the girls loved fast cars (and bikes). My friends and I built/worked on our own and it was almost a way of life for us and the girls would hang out as well. Now I have 3 20-something daughters and they could care less about cars.

ToddUGA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I'm 49 and I've raised a family and have driven family sedans all my life. I'm now at the point where I can buy a Mustang for enjoyment and not worry about it financially. So far all I've gotten is compliments from folks of all ages. At this point in my life I'm in the IDGAS phase.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ive always just used being tall and good looking to attractive the ladies. Having a cool sports car is just a bonus.:like:

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Holy Chia-pet Phenominally Fast-growing thread. "Must have hit some kind of nerve", to use a social media (of the past) phrase.

Seems to me everyone has made at least one valid point; very perceptive and thoughtful. Here's my really-old-guy perspective: From the earliest time I can remember cars have been fascinating to me. That's all. I've been in and out of many cars, always just because I liked them and was excited about what I could do with them.

When it comes to the question of who pays attention to me, or the car I'm driving, or the combination of me and my car, it has never had any effect on me since I began to drive. Would I have road-raced a Vega station wagon if the opinions of others were at all important to me? Yes, I'm trying to recapture my youth in a Sunflower Yellow Kammback by choosing Triple Yellow Tri-Coat for my newest Mustang.

VegaTurnFive.jpg

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Who gives a fuck what women think? Vagina is the only reason we keep them alive.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’m 30, have a good job and I don’t do a lot for myself. “Fashion”, expensive watches, electronics and stuff don’t do it for me. Cars is one thing I go all in on. I’ve always driven something I’ve liked and really wanted and being an automotive enthusiast is something I hope to carry with me for life.

I’ve been with the same woman since we were 18. She’s learned to understand my deal with cars and she’s come along to events, meets, etc. so the whole attraction from women over a car is null and void to me. I maintain both of our cars and it makes her happy that I can take care of hers and it’s dedinitely saved a lot of money versus going to a shop over every little thing. Plus living in south Florida, driving a Mustang GT in a sea of high end luxury, performance and supercars isn’t getting much attention from anyone.

I would say 99% of the comments regarding any car I have owned has been from a dude, generally someone else who is in to cars.

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
I probably should refrain from commenting on this, but it is so strikingly parallel to my situation I guess I will anyway. I actually had a 1988 (maybe it was an '87 can't remember) white GT in high school (class of '89) and I just got a white 2019 GT that is going to be almost a carbon copy of my old Mustang. I'm 47 now. The profile attempting to be made couldn't fit me any closer, but honestly, picking up females half my age had very little to do with my choice. Not to say that I'm not interested in females half my age - I totally am and I couldn't begin to care any less what anyone has to say about it.

It's a super sore subject with me honestly. While everyone is cheering about Love is Love for every fringe element of society I really don't need to catch shit from anyone over what age of female I am interested in being in a heterosexual relationship with. I know this is an age-old stereotype of the midlife crisis thing or whatever, but I'm sick of the hostile environment toward straight men and females organizing against men to take them down, etc. I'm ready for all of that to fizzle out or backfire once men finally get sick enough of it. I'm not excusing bad behavior of men, but I've been subjected to a particularly nasty ordeal of the bloodlust toward men being whipped up against me for virtually no reason at all and I'm sick of it.

I got another Mustang because I was just amazed by how many elements it brought together in what I was looking for in a new vehicle. I don't drink anymore. I don't hang out in bars. I'm more of a cafe guy these days and I was seriously looking at a Volkswagen Golf R in part because it does seem rather suited to a more urban cafe hopping lifestyle and it's no slouch in the performance department. The Mustang isn't really what I imagined to fill that role.

I bought the Mustang instead because I keep hearing everyone who seems to know what is coming up in the automotive industry say that these are the last of the naturally aspirated big V8 engines, etc. I bought the Mustang because I like to think I'm somewhat of a car guy and I wanted something exciting to take out on twisty roads and something that was just generally more fun to drive. If females half my age are interested in doing that too then they are welcome to come along, but it wasn't what I had in mind. I may have had visions of chasing Porsche 911's down on twisty mountain roads, but cruising bars or college campuses wasn't really what I had in mind.

I looked at too many different vehicles while car shopping and I was amazed by how far the quality of the interior has come with the new Mustangs. The level of tech sophistication rivals (or at least equals) the Volkswagen and I believe Volkswagen are aiming for the tech savvy buyers currently. The jury is out on reliability, but overall otherwise the Mustang offered so much for the money it was just too hard to ignore.

Now that I've spent some quality time with it I can say it has exceeded my expectations. I haven't yet chased any 911s on twisty roads (I actually would seriously like to see if I could drive well enough to keep pace without exceeding my capability). The Magneride probably helps tremendously, but it rides softer than my Honda Accord in normal mode and it can be completely docile when I want it to be and then it turns into a fire breathing beast when I switch it into Performance+, Track, etc. and put the exhaust in sport/track mode. It's so flat through the corners it doesn't seem like it can be the same car that rides softer than my Honda in normal mode. Yeah, it's a little heavy in the turns, but it's not bad and it's a marvelous grand touring vehicle. Lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, Android Auto with Waze giving me the locations of cops ahead - love it!

I actually hit 28mpg on the interstate just after the break in period too on a tank of gas with a crosswind - not a tailwind. That's pretty impressive! The normal was more like 26 something, but still not bad considering my Honda usually struggled to get over 30mpg highway unless I had the wind to my back.

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
For myself, it was middle-aged math. I drive my cars for a long time, the next car was going to be with me for 15-20 years. That will put me at around 70, if I was going to have a performance car, the time was now. It was all over after I hit the start button.

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
So if I go buy this 16 Comp Orange GT premium I have been eyeballing we can hang out together? LOL! And let me guess the people givign your wife the thumbs up are majority males and the ones cutting her off are majority female? Couldn't resist that.
Of course we can hang out! I am not sure man but its very much possible lol

Sagittaria

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
To add to Sagittaria's comment, I think you'll always find someone with a dim view of anything.
Good point! I think there's still a non-binary issue to a degree. People just tend to naturally judge a tiny bit.. young or old and I think that's what most folks in this thread are discussing rather than the more visible stuff. It's the subliminal impression.

If the R and the Ducati offend the date, don't take it any further than just a date.
Easy to say. Not so much in practice hah. They're not so much offended but rather leery. Grass is always greener too.. Sitting in my garage wrenching get's pretty depressingly lonely after awhile hah. I'm sure the married guys have the opposite issue!

A lot of women who gave me a slanted look for dumping an absurd amount of money into a 97 Mustang quickly changed their expression when they were able to experience first hand how fun the car was......I'd have to say that the women who judged me based on my car or whatever seemed to be in the minority. Most would, even while admitting to not knowing anything about cars, tend to be more curious and excited about learning about what I had done to the car. The breath of fresh air, for the girl, comes from knowing you're not some monkey with an autozone built civic, or some punk kid who got a fast car because of daddy.
To add on to my subliminal judging comment above, as you pointed out it's the first hurdle that I find that I have issues with — which IMO is one of the hardest parts about dating. Once they know I'm not a car raving lunatic all is well. But it's the same as if I meet someone covered in diamonds (extreme example). I get where they're coming from if I show up to a date in flashy sports car... in honesty I park mountains away for this reason if I chance taking the R haha.

That's when I would start easing toward the exit... When I was your age, which I am now x2, the girls loved fast cars (and bikes). My friends and I built/worked on our own and it was almost a way of life for us and the girls would hang out as well. Now I have 3 20-something daughters and they could care less about cars.
Lol I get that whenever I talk to the older crowds. I usually get asked "oh you must be pretty popular with the ladies" or "You have dating issues? Just talk to her about your ride." In reality I pickup a lot of dudes as mentioned by everyone else hah. I almost feel like something changed between generations.

Really? I'm genuinely surprised to the point that I don't believe you. I'm around your age and have friends that have cars that range from your typical civic and camry to those with crazy expensive supercars like the mclaren 720s and huracan, and plenty of motorcycles between us as well. Never had any of the girls we've been with have any issues regarding any cars or motorcycles we own.
On a side note, most of the girls we know don't even know the difference between the mustangs. It could be an ecoboost or a gt350 and they just think it's a mustang.
Seriously! There might be a lot of confounding variables. I tend to hangout with a more reserved intellectual crowd. I'm fairly low key too.. with the exception of my vice hah. But even then a big part of my passion is that I enjoy traveling. I like to take the bike along the river after work. I take the R on road trips to go camping or backpacking. That sure doesn't come across AT ALL meeting someone... or anyone that matter.
IMG_20180811_112702_2.jpg

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Really? I'm genuinely surprised to the point that I don't believe you. I'm around your age and have friends that have cars that range from your typical civic and camry to those with crazy expensive supercars like the mclaren 720s and huracan, and plenty of motorcycles between us as well. Never had any of the girls we've been with have any issues regarding any cars or motorcycles we own.
On a side note, most of the girls we know don't even know the difference between the mustangs. It could be an ecoboost or a gt350 and they just think it's a mustang.
He might not be. While my experiences are similar to yours, including that a lot couldn't even tell you the difference between a v6 or v8, it could be another variable. Sagittaria could be coming across in a way he doesn't realize to provoke certain reactions. He could be victim to a self fulfilling prophecy where, due to his concerns about being judged, he gives off an insecure vibe that raises a red flag for the woman. Or maybe he's pursuing women who are very grounded, to the point of just being lame, and shun any decision that isn't geared towards establishing a stereotypical household. Who knows, but for the most part I think it's a non issue that may be being made into something bigger than it really is. It reminds me of how I was always told that a girl will choose to talk to me, or not, based on my shoes. If the shoes are nice then it's a plus, but if not then it's not a big deal unless my toes were popping through (I've never worn shoes that beat up, for the record). Now just replace "shoes" with "cars."

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Holy Chia-pet Phenominally Fast-growing thread. "Must have hit some kind of nerve", to use a social media (of the past) phrase.

Seems to me everyone has made at least one valid point; very perceptive and thoughtful. Here's my really-old-guy perspective: From the earliest time I can remember cars have been fascinating to me. That's all. I've been in and out of many cars, always just because I liked them and was excited about what I could do with them.

When it comes to the question of who pays attention to me, or the car I'm driving, or the combination of me and my car, it has never had any effect on me since I began to drive. Would I have road-raced a Vega station wagon if the opinions of others were at all important to me? Yes, I'm trying to recapture my youth in a Sunflower Yellow Kammback by choosing Triple Yellow Tri-Coat for my newest Mustang.

VegaTurnFive.jpg
Lol, I think there's also several different conversations that have branched out. I agree, though, that your mind set should be the end goal. Get the car because you want to, and because you know you will enjoy it. Getting it to impress others can just lead to frustration and unhappiness and is akin to those who buy trucks to feel in power or display dominance.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Woman: why do you DRIVE THAT?

Me: Cause I want to. Now go make me a sandwich.

:giggle:
Sponsored