Sponsored

FTB Diff Cooler Installed

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
As the title states, I added this to my car recently as I and most of us have had issues with overheated diffs on track. I have not run it on road course yet but I’ve been just testing it’s ability to cool at somewhat lower temps plus dial in the setting to not kicking on till about 200-225 degrees so during normal daily driving it never kicks on. As I can tell for the month that it’s been on the car it works perfectly. When I tested it at lower settings in would turn on and run till it lowered the temp and then shut back off. Without further ado......

Kit contents.

25D7A4E1-20D2-4405-98D4-E22AB6968869.jpeg

New oem cover with hose connection points return/send and the thermo sensor plus the connection point for factory diff temp sensor in 16’s and up which I still utilized.

5D843F7F-C2BC-4DA0-A138-62A96788E59F.jpeg

The diff has to be dropped to get access to all the cover bolts.

42BEE00A-573B-42F2-B24A-BC0D5FD5765A.jpeg

Installed.

12123F41-9E56-4AEE-A06F-4F954C1EBB21.jpeg
3E188CFD-6088-4881-9D3B-66368F1A04A5.jpeg
356D52FB-D0D8-46DC-A475-24DDD9F7AE8C.jpeg

The black relay on the right side of the spare tire well has an adjustable dial to set in the activation temp. As you can see I have the Watson battery relocation kit that I put in the spare tire well which makes running power and ground connections easier.

FA5D8485-6DAD-4CAE-A8F1-9067D128651F.jpeg
Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Thanks ! Looks good. Eventually I'll do this , looks fairly straightforward.

How much more fluid capacity does this add ? How is the diff fluid change procedure different ?

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
What keeps the added fluid in the cooler from draining back into the diff? or does the pump run continuously without fan until it hits desired temp?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
So the cooler is installed above the diff?

Seems like a bad spot to get cool airflow.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I had this type of setup on my CTSV and it worked very well.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
There is no way to install the cooler "below the diff" and there is no concern installing it where it is; let the pump do it's job.

The fan on the cooler has significant efficacy in the process of cooling the fluid passing through the cooler just the same as your radiator fans are capable of keeping your car cool with no airflow from movement.

If you are willing to sacrifice free access to a fill plug, you can setup a diff cooler without needing the supplied FTBR cover, which adds a lot of cost. If you have a '16+ car, you would have to also take out the factory temp sensor.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Thanks ! Looks good. Eventually I'll do this , looks fairly straightforward.

How much more fluid capacity does this add ? How is the diff fluid change procedure different ?
Thanks. It added a little over half a quart. All you do is provide power to the pump for it to pull into the cooling system and recheck/add as necessary. When draining, you literally can detach the lower hose and activate the pump to flush the system out and then reattach and refill.

So the cooler is installed above the diff?

Seems like a bad spot to get cool airflow.
It's not. wildcatgoal explains it in the post above.

What keeps the added fluid in the cooler from draining back into the diff? or does the pump run continuously without fan until it hits desired temp?
This is something I wondered as well but the fluid doesn't drain back into the diff. The reason for this is that the pump is a self priming pump which pulls vacuum wet or dry and when the pump isn't on, it prevents fluid from moving. I rechecked levels several times and it alway checked out at the correct level regardless of the pump not running for periods of miles. The pump and fan don't run at all unless it hits the thermostat setting the user chooses. If you wanted it to run full time all the time, all you have to do is turn the adjustment knob to the lowest setting.

Also for further information, when the pump is on, I can only hear it at idle and stopped with the stereo off and barely at that. If the car is moving I have no idea its on unless i know exactly what temp it turns on and the temp i notice on the gauge is going down. It really is an awesome setup albeit a little costly and I can't wait to ultimately test it on track. No ragrets :like:

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Just a comment: I would set the activation/on temp more towards 225. I’m only saying this as, at 200, that thing will be cycling a lot.

Nice install post!

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I’ll keep that in mind for sure, thanks. I won’t get the opportunity for track till March which I’ll need for better dialing in.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Ive really been considering this kit depending on how this track season goes. Nice to hear your impressions and I hope that you give an update after a couple of track sessions. I prob cant attempt the install though since I dont have access to a lift. Ive never dropped the differential before so Im not sure how tricky it would be in my garage floor, plus Id have to buy a trans jack or something to get it taken care of. Another 600+ dollars for install really sucks.

Sponsored
OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Ive really been considering this kit depending on how this track season goes. Nice to hear your impressions and I hope that you give an update after a couple of track sessions. I prob cant attempt the install though since I dont have access to a lift. Ive never dropped the differential before so Im not sure how tricky it would be in my garage floor, plus Id have to buy a trans jack or something to get it taken care of. Another 600+ dollars for install really sucks.
The summer time track sessions here in CA will be a good test for sure and I’ll definitely post my results after those events.

Having a lift is obviously very helpful but you truly could do this job on jack stands and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it that way if I had to. Literally a floor jack could support and lower/raise the diff enough. To drop the diff you’d have to get to the point of removing the half shafts. I don’t consider that a difficult job either as I've done it plenty of times. If you go this route, don’t hesitate to ask anything.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If you are willing to sacrifice free access to a fill plug, you can setup a diff cooler without needing the supplied FTBR cover, which adds a lot of cost.
Do you happen to have the price difference of the custom-machined cover handy? I can mill and thread my own I should think. During install did you happen to notice how much clearance is on the back-side of the plate between the 2 (in/out) holes? I'm thinking a small, finned cooler might fit on the inside of the cover and still clear all the rotating bits so you could run a very simple oil/oil or oil/water intercooler setup.

I'm thinking of something like these and a simple coil of copper tubing.
https://www.mcmaster.com/flared-tube-fittings

Last edited:

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I may give it a shot. Im going to see how the temps do at the track in the cooler months first.

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Do you happen to have the price difference of the custom-machined cover handy? I can mill and thread my own I should think. During install did you happen to notice how much clearance is on the back-side of the plate between the 2 (in/out) holes? I'm thinking a small, finned cooler might fit on the inside of the cover and still clear all the rotating bits so you could run a very simple oil/oil or oil/water intercooler setup.

I'm thinking of something like these and a simple coil of copper tubing.
https://www.mcmaster.com/flared-tube-fittings
Judging by the price of their (FTB) universal kit ($775) and their S550 specific kit ($999), there is a $225 delta. Do not see the cover offered separately though, might have to call.
The cover, if I am not mistaken, has two extra holes drilled. Should be easy to drill and tap those.

To the OP, thanks for the write up and pics, looks great.
Sponsored