Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I loured him away.

Back on topic:

So who actually thinks the heavy GT500 will be faster than a Z06 on track? 5-700lbs more and only 70hp more. I doubt that, but does it really matter?
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
A Z06? I could see it at least being close if it's closer to 4000lbs, but if this 4300lb weight is true, I can't forsee it beating a Z06 unless it has some SERIOUS tricks up its sleeve.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
"amateur drivers" don't just casually set lap records at a track. To think these guys are "amateurs" is pathetic, especially coming from someone who so strongly backs "canyon carving".

They are amateurs... they have different drivers driving the cars in different price brackets... i.e LL1 driver, LL2 driver, etc... They set "lightning lap records"... not outright records. Randy Pobst on the other hand HAS set outright production car records. Many, many times over.

IIRC, Anderson Composites makes a GT350 hood. Worst case scenario, The Parts Farm is always getting totaled GT350s, I doubt it'd be too hard or expensive to find an OEM hood.

Do you not realize that the entire front end of the 350 is different? Not just the bumper, not just the hood, but the fenders, the suspension geometry, the track width... everything is different from the A-pillar forward. It is not possible to replicate in the aftermarket.

PP2 does put down better numbers. Hell, it put down higher cornering Gs than a 720s! That's on par with the R's numbers! Canyon driving doesn't have to be reckless, but "canyon carving" is inherently reckless, as it's defined as the idea of going beyond the legal speed limit on public roads. Trust me, you won't come ANYWHERE near the "limit" of a GT350 or PP2 anywhere on the street without breaking the speed limit. Those cars would likely handle twice the speed limit on a canyon corner with ease. You DO have to push your car's limit to feel it, that's why its a limit. What you're feeling is your car pushing the maximum lateral Gs that the DOT wants you to experience on the streets (likely not much more than .4 Gs).

Since you are incapable of true data analysis, I'll help you out. Lots of cars have differing lateral G's in various corners depending on how the car is setup. You are comparing one corner where heavy cars with larger front tires typically do very well (see Z28 vs 918), to the static cornering grip achieved by the R on a skidpad…. nonsensical at best. The PP2 has less aggressive tires, more weight, inferior suspension, and less aero. Yet you think it corners on par with an R... that is delusional.

You do NOT have to drive at the limit to notice the difference between cars on the street... are you out of your mind? Are you going to tell me you can't feel the difference between a Civic and your GT on a backroad? And since when do you have to be reckless to have fun? I don't need to be going 10/10's to have fun or to justify my R being a better car than a GT. It feels better, 100% of the time. It has a better transmission, 100% of the time. It controls its body motions and wheel motions better, 100% of the time. If you can't feel the difference between cars without pushing them to the limit, I feel sorry for your numbness. Hell, I got my R and I'm in a province that doesn't have any tracks at all.... but hey, guess I could never tell the difference between it and a GT.... Hell I could have bought TWO GT's for the same price here LOL and then I could have been less than half as happy when im behind the wheel.

It's not a better financial decision at all. Since when has it been a "better financial decision" to spend $60k on a car when you can have something on par with it for $40k? Again, I'm not doubtful at all. I've been looking into buying a new mustang since 2015, and I've had the GT350 on my radar since then. Only reason I didn't buy one was because I wanted to wait and see what the 2018 had to offer, and I'm so glad I did, because it offered MUCH more for my money. I was able to buy my Mustang, my R6, and my jetski and still have a car that with about $5k or so in wheels, tires, and suspension will absolutely blow the doors off of a GT350. I don't give a fuck about resale value, because cars are awful investments, so I plan to keep the car until I (or it) die.

News flash bud, lots of people don't buy cars for life. I happen to be similar to you here, and will be keeping this car forever so resale was of no concern to me. But to say it doesn't matter is ridiculous. If someone can afford a better car, would enjoy the better car, and also be able to get more back when the time comes to sell said better car for the next toy, how is that not a better financial decision? Have you ever seen any of the youtubers and realize it is exactly what they do? They buy limited edition supercars, drive them for a bit, then sell them for minimal losses while making money off of video review all along... not rocket science bud.

But quick question, if you're oh so set on not derailing this thread, why are you so adamant about responding? It's not like when we get back on subject with the GT500, I'm just going to come in screaming "GT350s SUCKKKKK!!!". So, if you really want to get back on topic, take the L
See responses in red....

Considering all of your responses regarding how stupid we all are, I guess you were pretty stupid to not just buy a Camaro 1LE right? It offers identical if not a little better performance than the PP2 and has coolers as standard so it doesn't overheat on track... and has better hardware (i.e brakes, transmission, etc.).

Or I guess all of those people buying base Porsche 911's are pretty retarded too then eh considering a Z06 for 10's of thousands less is literally in 3 different leagues above it lap time wise.

You just don't get it. Go drive one and then drive the GT, then come and try to tell us its still a better car.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I loured him away.

Back on topic:

So who actually thinks the heavy GT500 will be faster than a Z06 on track? 5-700lbs more and only 70hp more. I doubt that, but does it really matter?
I still don't expect it to be that heavy. Faster? No, for certain it won't be. Close enough to compare, ala the ZL1 1LE? Quite possibly.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
"They are amateurs... they have different drivers driving the cars in different price brackets... i.e LL1 driver, LL2 driver, etc... They set "lightning lap records"... not outright records. Randy Pobst on the other hand HAS set outright production car records. Many, many times over."

Oh, my bad, they only beat the SECOND fastest car ever around VIR... most definitely complete amateurs, probably their first time ever at the track

"Do you not realize that the entire front end of the 350 is different? Not just the bumper, not just the hood, but the fenders, the suspension geometry, the track width... everything is different from the A-pillar forward. It is not possible to replicate in the aftermarket."

Eeeeeeexcept, it's not? It has different body panels, carbon-composite bumper support, and aluminum knuckles. Just about everything else is the same as the PP2. Stop drinking the cool aid... they also said the 2018 is "completely different from the A-pillar forward", doesn't make it some godly supercar

"Since you are incapable of true data analysis, I'll help you out. Lots of cars have differing lateral G's in various corners depending on how the car is setup. You are comparing one corner where heavy cars with larger front tires typically do very well (see Z28 vs 918), to the static cornering grip achieved by the R on a skidpad…. nonsensical at best. The PP2 has less aggressive tires, more weight, inferior suspension, and less aero. Yet you think it corners on par with an R... that is delusional."

Sure, but where's that "massive weight delta" that makes the PP2 match the numbers that the GT350R put down? Since you seem to LOVE the skidpad so much, lets see here... The PP2 put down 1.06G on the skidpad. What about the GT350? Oh, 1.05G? You don't say!
BTW, I never said the PP2 was on par with the R's performance. I said that the Gs it put down in that instance was on par with the R.

"You do NOT have to drive at the limit to notice the difference between cars on the street... are you out of your mind? Are you going to tell me you can't feel the difference between a Civic and your GT on a backroad? And since when do you have to be reckless to have fun? I don't need to be going 10/10's to have fun or to justify my R being a better car than a GT. It feels better, 100% of the time. It has a better transmission, 100% of the time. It controls its body motions and wheel motions better, 100% of the time. If you can't feel the difference between cars without pushing them to the limit, I feel sorry for your numbness. Hell, I got my R and I'm in a province that doesn't have any tracks at all.... but hey, guess I could never tell the difference between it and a GT.... Hell I could have bought TWO GT's for the same price here LOL and then I could have been less than half as happy when im behind the wheel."

We aren't talking about Civics here, we're literally talking about a mustang and another mustang. And no, you can't feel the difference between 1 S550 and another when taking a corner at AT MOST .4G. Anything above that is reckless and stupid. You keep talking about "My R" but we aren't talking about a R here, we're talking about a GT350. I've already said that the standard GT350 should've been discontinued and only the R should've been kept, because its the only one that is anything special. But if you brag about being able to buy 2 of the same car for what you paid for 1, sorry, that's pretty retarded

"News flash bud, lots of people don't buy cars for life. I happen to be similar to you here, and will be keeping this car forever so resale was of no concern to me. But to say it doesn't matter is ridiculous. If someone can afford a better car, would enjoy the better car, and also be able to get more back when the time comes to sell said better car for the next toy, how is that not a better financial decision? Have you ever seen any of the youtubers and realize it is exactly what they do? They buy limited edition supercars, drive them for a bit, then sell them for minimal losses while making money off of video review all along... not rocket science bud."

Yeah, no shit big guy. But that doesn't change the fact that a car is STILL not an investment. If you're worried about resale value and losing money, why the hell would you buy a brand new mustang? If that's REALLY enough of a concern that you spend $20k more on a car just so that you don't have to lose as much, then you should be buying a used Civic... That way, you'll only lose about $500! If someone can afford a better car, then by all means get it. But don't spend more on a worse car then try to pawn it off like this "god tier unbeatable car" when you can easily get something better for less. Youtubers do it right, but a lot of the ones who are already rich do it how you should if you're worried about investment... lease the car, use your raw income to invest in appreciating assets, use your YouTube income to pay your lease, and then trade off the car for a new one with no financial hit just to restart the cycle. But it's safe to say that we don't have a single Youtuber that's getting enough views to make payments on their GT350 in this thread, so that point is absolutely irrelevant

"Considering all of your responses regarding how stupid we all are, I guess you were pretty stupid to not just buy a Camaro 1LE right? It offers identical if not a little better performance than the PP2 and has coolers as standard so it doesn't overheat on track... and has better hardware (i.e brakes, transmission, etc.).

Or I guess all of those people buying base Porsche 911's are pretty retarded too then eh considering a Z06 for 10's of thousands less is literally in 3 different leagues above it lap time wise."

Well, first off, I've never called anyone stupid. I've said that making certain decisions is stupid, and that holds true.

Second, the game completely changes when you start talking about completely different cars. I bought my mustang over a Camaro because 1. I like to see out of my cars, 2. Camaro interior ergonomics are awful, 3. I like OHC engines, 4. I have to put things in the trunk sometimes, 5. I like the way the Mustang looks, and it would be cheaper to buy a mustang than it would be to buy a Camaro and make it look like a mustang, the list goes on.

But when you're literally comparing 2 mustangs of the same year, one is cheaper, performs better, and is more reliable and the other has a couple body panels that can be put on the cheaper one for less and sounds a tad bit cooler, it would be stupid to buy the more expensive one

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sounds like someone is trying HARD to justify his purchase, and won't be satisfied until others agree with him. It's sad really.

Edit: I found where I read the GT350 is faster than the PP2:

“It will be a car that you can daily drive, especially with the comfort of the MagneRide. The track-focused Cup 2 tires are obviously aggressive and have a pretty wide footprint all the way around, which definitely helps close the gap to the GT350. It also has more downforce than the standard Mustang, but not quite as much as the Shelby. Compared with the previous Mustang, the 2018 has a higher redline — 7,500 rpm is awesome — so you are closing the gap in terms of horsepower and rev range to the Shelby. While you don’t have the transmission and diff coolers, the car doesn’t cost as much as the Shelby. Overall, you really are getting close in terms of the inherent performance parts and while it may not beat a Shelby around a racetrack (it’s close), the car is very fast and extremely capable.”

https://www.fordnxt.com/news/billy-johnson-helped-hone-the-2018-mustang-ppl2/

BOOM! Can jake_zx2 now get over it and can we go back to the GT500 discussion?

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Sounds like someone is trying HARD to justify his purchase, and won't be satisfied until others agree with him. It's sad really.

Edit: I found where I read the GT350 is faster than the PP2:

“It will be a car that you can daily drive, especially with the comfort of the MagneRide. The track-focused Cup 2 tires are obviously aggressive and have a pretty wide footprint all the way around, which definitely helps close the gap to the GT350. It also has more downforce than the standard Mustang, but not quite as much as the Shelby. Compared with the previous Mustang, the 2018 has a higher redline — 7,500 rpm is awesome — so you are closing the gap in terms of horsepower and rev range to the Shelby. While you don’t have the transmission and diff coolers, the car doesn’t cost as much as the Shelby. Overall, you really are getting close in terms of the inherent performance parts and while it may not beat a Shelby around a racetrack (it’s close), the car is very fast and extremely capable.”

https://www.fordnxt.com/news/billy-johnson-helped-hone-the-2018-mustang-ppl2/

BOOM! Can jake_zx2 now get over it and can we go back to the GT500 discussion?
Billy who? Hahahahahahaha

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man, you're telling me a Ford representative supported a Ford product that just so happens to cost more? WHO WOULD"VE GUESSED?!

I've already said, I have no need to justify anything. I could've bought either, but realized the 2018 would be a much better purchase

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Oh man, you're telling me a Ford representative supported a Ford product that just so happens to cost more? WHO WOULD"VE GUESSED?!

I've already said, I have no need to justify anything. I could've bought either, but realized the 2018 would be a much better purchase
Funny! You made a so called better financial decision but don't care about resale value??!!?? Conundrum much?? Hahahahaha
Let us know how that better purchase holds out come sell time.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Won't be a sell time, the car will be kept until I or it dies
Funny! You made a so called better financial decision but don't care about resale value??!!?? Conundrum much?? Hahahahaha
Won't be a sale time? SAID NO ONE EVER LOL

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Won't be a sale time? SAID NO ONE EVER LOL
How difficult of a concept is this? If you don't plan on reselling a car, then yes, resale value doesn't matter. Some people buy a car and are happy with it. If I want another car, I'll just buy another car... no need to sell my dreamcar
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.