Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Funny, not the first time I've been called that

Most people who buy cars like that buy them as a "status symbol", and I think that's stupid to do. Just because they can do it doesn't mean they should.

I'm not calling anyone a "poser", I'm calling them stupid for paying for something they know they aren't going to use. New analogy: you go to McDonalds with a friend. Your friend is a vegan, but orders 20 hamburgers just to show they can afford to buy 20 hamburgers, knowing they have no intention of eating them, yet won't let anyone else eat them. Is that not stupid to do?

Well, lets see... You bought a GT, then sold it to get the GT350... that's at least a $10k hit on depreciation there. Then you sold the GT350 to get a GT350R, and although I'm HIGHLY doubtful that you paid under MSRP for it, that's at least a $5k hit on depreciation, along with the extra $20k in raw cost over your GT. Account for tax, tags, and licensing on both Shelbys, yes, it totals about $40k more than your GT.

So congratulations, you spent $40k extra for a car that's 2 seconds faster than a stock PP2
OH!! So its faster now, only 2 seconds? on what track? LOL
I paid no ADM only MSRP for the 350's. Paid well under sticker for the GT's. 40K is a preposterous figure. I am a well established buyer/customer at my dealer and have always been taken care of. Back to you preposterous numbers, last I checked Ford GT's are selling for more than or equal to the MSRP when new LOL.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you're backpedaling. If you have the cash on hand or finance it, holding either car for say 5 years, and that $50k GT turns into a $25k car, and if the $60k GT350 turns into a $45k car, you'll be $10k ahead buying the Shelby.

It's not an investment more than justifying and making s better financial decision and enjoying a better car along the way. I've never bought a new car. My 2016 GT was used and I got it for a great price. But if you have the means, the Shelby can easily make more sense. Because of that, I won't be able to afford one for some time on the used market.

Based off your reasoning, you're "stupid" for buying a new GT. And anyone who buys new GM cars are even dumber.
Say it isn't so!!! Not to mention the bucket load of cash you threw in to make it "MUCH faster" in mods and literally flushed down the toilet LOL
Most cars are not investments but depreciating assets. Some cars retain value much better than others. Case in point Mustang GT's tank, GT350's fairing much better and if history of past FP/SVT cars is any indicator, per jake_zx2 take on things, buying GT's is "stupid" LOL

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I was faster than a couple of GT350's including one R at an event last month in my 2013 Laguna Seca. What does that mean? Nothing. I probably pushed it harder, maybe have more time on that track...too many variables. Buy what you want, do what you want with it and enjoy it.

The GT500 will decimate all. Just to try and get back to regular programming.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you're backpedaling. If you have the cash on hand or finance it, holding either car for say 5 years, and that $50k GT turns into a $25k car, and if the $60k GT350 turns into a $45k car, you'll be $10k ahead buying the Shelby.

It's not an investment more than justifying and making s better financial decision and enjoying a better car along the way. I've never bought a new car. My 2016 GT was used and I got it for a great price. But if you have the means, the Shelby can easily make more sense. Because of that, I won't be able to afford one for some time on the used market.

Based off your reasoning, you're "stupid" for buying a new GT. And anyone who buys new GM cars are even dumber.
Not backpedaling at all, a car should never be bought strictly on an "investment" standpoint, especially if that's the ONLY justification for spending more for a car. The better idea would be, if you have $65k, buy a GT for $35k and use that other $30k to invest in an appreciating asset so that by the time you go to sell your car, that extra $30k has grown to cover the depreciation of the GT rather than simply losing money on a GT350R. And yes, buying a new car in general is kind of dumb. Only reason I did it is because I never plan on selling my mustang, so I was willing to pay the extra to have the exact spec I wanted

OH!! So its faster now, only 2 seconds? on what track? LOL
I paid no ADM only MSRP for the 350's. Paid well under sticker for the GT's. 40K is a preposterous figure. I am a well established buyer/customer at my dealer and have always been taken care of. Back to you preposterous numbers, last I checked Ford GT's are selling for more than or equal to the MSRP when new LOL.
VIR Grand Course... https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2018-ford-mustang-gt-performance-package-2-lightning-lap-2018

If you paid MSRP for a 16 GT350R, then you paid $64k before TTL. You may have paid under sticker for your GT, but I HIGHLY doubt it was enough to cover the depreciation hit. Basically, you're telling a bunch of white lies just to say "AKCHUALLY, IT WAS $35K NAWT $40K".

Either way, you'd have a much faster GT if you would've invested that money in it instead of constantly trading for the car that would get the most fanboys to blow their load on your hood

Also, no shit Ford GTs are selling for ridiculous prices. What's the significance to that "gee wiz" statement?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I was faster than a couple of GT350's including one R at an event last month in my 2013 Laguna Seca. What does that mean? Nothing. I probably pushed it harder, maybe have more time on that track...too many variables. Buy what you want, do what you want with it and enjoy it.

NAH!! buying a GT500 will be a "stupid" decision because Mustang GT. Ask jake_zx2.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

I was faster around Nurburgring in my 3v with $5k worth of work than another guy in a GT350, so I guess the GT350 can never match the greatness that is a 2005 MUSTANG GT!!! :LOL:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
NAH!! buying a GT500 will be a "stupid" decision because Mustang GT. Ask jake_zx2.
Don't be dense, we don't even know the cost or performance of the GT500 yet. If it really is a DCT equipped monster that'll put down a low-sub 7:00 ring time and still be completely street legal for around $70k, it'll be a hard bargain to beat.

Sorry, there isn't a significant performance delta between the GT and GT350. The GT500 is a whole different beast

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Not backpedaling at all, a car should never be bought strictly on an "investment" standpoint, especially if that's the ONLY justification for spending more for a car. The better idea would be, if you have $65k, buy a GT for $35k and use that other $30k to invest in an appreciating asset so that by the time you go to sell your car, that extra $30k has grown to cover the depreciation of the GT rather than simply losing money on a GT350R. And yes, buying a new car in general is kind of dumb. Only reason I did it is because I never plan on selling my mustang, so I was willing to pay the extra to have the exact spec I wanted

VIR Grand Course... https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2018-ford-mustang-gt-performance-package-2-lightning-lap-2018

If you paid MSRP for a 16 GT350R, then you paid $64k before TTL. You may have paid under sticker for your GT, but I HIGHLY doubt it was enough to cover the depreciation hit. Basically, you're telling a bunch of white lies just to say "AKCHUALLY, IT WAS $35K NAWT $40K".

Either way, you'd have a much faster GT if you would've invested that money in it instead of constantly trading for the car that would get the most fanboys to blow their load on your hood

Also, no shit Ford GTs are selling for ridiculous prices. What's the significance to that "gee wiz" statement?
No white lies. the numbers are based of memory and more of around about number for reference. I do not have the MSRP memorized and also did not factor in taxes lol As you are so factual I should have known better than to mention ball park figures. LOL
The Ford GT I mentioned because I though you did OOPS! I'll take my stock faster better value retains value GT350R and leave this back to the "Stupid" GT500 because Mustang GT right jake_zx2?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
No white lies. the numbers are based of memory and more of around about number for reference. I do not have the MSRP memorized and also did not factor in taxes lol As you are so factual I should have known better than to mention ball park figures. LOL
The Ford GT I mentioned because I though you did OOPS! I'll take my stock faster better value retains value GT350R and leave this back to the "Stupid" GT500 because Mustang GT right jake_zx2?
OOPS! I mentioned it as one of the rare cases in which a vehicle rapidly appreciates, so might wanna work on your reading comprehension there, bud. I'll take my cheaper better value faster more tech loaded GT and leave this back to the "yet to be determined whether it's stupid or not" GT500

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Cars are not a good investment. Especially brand new cars are a really bad choice if you are taking money into account.

If you want a track car and money is important, get an old Miata and upgrade it yourself. Neither a brand new Shelby nor a PP2 GT is a good investment from a money standpoint, especially if you are going to beat it up on the track regularly.

I agree for many people a GT might be a better choice than a GT350 or GT500. I know before I bought my GT350 I was very bored with Mustang GTs and switching cars every year can get expensive. I bought the GT350 3 years ago and I still love it. I realize that at some point the regular GTs will pass my old GT350 in performance. Right now I'm good with my decision.

So far I haven't been embarrassed at the track by Corvettes, Mustangs, Porsches that I've encountered. The GT350 holds its own IMO.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Cars are not a good investment. Especially brand new cars are a really bad choice if you are taking money into account.

If you want a track car and money is important, get an old Miata and upgrade it yourself. Neither a brand new Shelby nor a PP2 GT is a good investment from a money standpoint, especially if you are going to beat it up on the track regularly.

I agree for many people a GT might be a better choice than a GT350 or GT500. I know before I bought my GT350 I was very bored with Mustang GTs and switching cars every year can get expensive. I bought the GT350 3 years ago and I still love it. I realize that at some point the regular GTs will pass my old GT350 in performance. Right now I'm good with my decision.

So far I haven't been embarrassed at the track by Corvettes, Mustangs, Porsches that I've encountered. The GT350 holds its own IMO.
This is a reasonable viewpoint. If you still enjoy it, you do you! I will say, the sound of that Voodoo engine is absolutely unmatched

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
New analogy: you go to McDonalds with a friend. Your friend is a vegan, but orders 20 hamburgers just to show they can afford to buy 20 hamburgers, knowing they have no intention of eating them, yet won't let anyone else eat them. Is that not stupid to do?
Stupid analogy. People eat hamburgers, people drive cars. You can get enjoyment out of a car built for track racing (like the GT350) without driving it on the track. It is fun to drive anywhere. It sounds incredible. And yes it is much more unique than dime-a-dozen S550s. Is it "stupid" to pay more for a car that is more enjoyable to drive, and less common than other vehicles? Your "argument" sounds like nothing more than sour grapes.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid analogy. People eat hamburgers, people drive cars. You can get enjoyment out of a car built for track racing (like the GT350) without driving it on the track. It is fun to drive anywhere. It sounds incredible. And yes it is much more unique than dime-a-dozen S550s. Is it "stupid" to pay more for a car that is more enjoyable to drive, and less common than other vehicles? Your "argument" sounds like nothing more than sour grapes.
But that's the thing: it's no more enjoyable on the street than a GT... you know, unless the rush to 40mph is truly exhilarating for you (in which case, a GT would probably be MORE exciting, as it has better low end torque). But if you're pushing the limits of your car on the street, then I'd also categorize you as "stupid"

"unique" is simply a different way of saying what I already pointed out, which is "paying for the Shelby name". Also, "unique" is rarely synonymous with "good"

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
But that's the thing: it's no more enjoyable on the street than a GT... you know, unless the rush to 40mph is truly exhilarating for you (in which case, a GT would probably be MORE exciting, as it has better low end torque). But if you're pushing the limits of your car on the street, then I'd also categorize you as "stupid"

"unique" is simply a different way of saying what I already pointed out, which is "paying for the Shelby name". Also, "unique" is rarely synonymous with "good"
You are equating "enjoyable" with straight-line acceleration, nothing more. Another stupid point. And we aren't paying for the Shelby name, it's not even a Shelby - it's a GT350 mustang. Ford makes both cars, not Shelby. And Ford makes more than 10 times more S550s than GT350s. Your last comment is nonsensical - low production porsches, bmws, etc are not as "good" as their base models? Laughable!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
You are equating "enjoyable" with straight-line acceleration, nothing more. Another stupid point. And we aren't paying for the Shelby name, it's not even a Shelby - it's a GT350 mustang. Ford makes both cars, not Shelby. And Ford makes more than 10 times more S550s than GT350s. Your last comment is nonsensical - low production porsches, bmws, etc are not as "good" as their base models? Laughable!
I'm not only equating "fun" to straight line speed, but the rush to 40mph is the most fun you'd be able to have on the streets. What fun is a twisty backroad having to go 20mph the whole time? Sounds like more of a nuisance than "fun".

It's not a Shelby? Go ahead and take a look at your front splitter for me and tell me what it says. Just because it's not made by "Shelby American Inc" doesn't mean it doesn't use the Shelby name, and that's all you're paying for.

As for my last comment... I'm not surprised you can't comprehend a simple statement. What I was saying is just because it's "unique" doesn't make it "good". So, yes, a Porsche GT3 certainly is both unique and good, but a Nissan Altima with Ferrari badges all over it, albeit being "unique", is not good. Simply being unique isn't what makes something good, thus "'unique' is rarely synonymous with 'good'"
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.