2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Discussion in 'Shelby GT500 Mustang' started by Rhyu, Aug 22, 2018.

1. SVTSNAKE355

SVTSNAKE355 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    hothands
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 GT500
    0   0   0
    :like::muscle:
    again like i said before,the younger crowd thats coming up,all they see is numbers.whoever has the most they jump on.i understand power to weight ratio,most of them dont.all you hear about is hellcat,red eye,and demon.they dont even really bring up zl1 and all of that Garbage Motors crap.it does seem like the hellcat charger sells pretty good here in chicago.i stand by FORD needs at least 850HP.

2nazty likes this.
  2. Epiphany

Epiphany Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Quick
    0   0   0
    The car needs balance not some sky high stupid power number. Excess over and above what the car can use to maintain traction will likely be bled off via traction control, throttle control, etc. Available grip via contact patch and a properly setup suspension/engine calibration are key to being able to put down the power. For that matter it was reported long ago that the bottleneck (in terms of power) didn't come from the engine but somewhere else in the drivetrain.

3. nastang87xx

nastang87xx Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 Track Pack
    0   0   0
    100% not true. Non car people who think they know about cars only care about the horsepower numbers. The people who are going to ACTUALLY BUY THE CAR know there's more to it. Ford isn't going to pander to a bunch of idiots who don't know shit about cars who spout off on Youtube and Instagram comments.

Colleton, jake_zx2 and PP0001 like this.
  4. J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350R (HR057)
    0   0   0
    Well I mean, that's the best part eh, that it is literally a bunch of bolt-ons, with none of the overall vehicle dynamics taken into consideration, nothing integrated to work together as well as OEM, and people think its some super fast, super awesome car because it has XYZ suspension kit and a 1000hp. Genuinely baffles me how people still think that "Super Snake" or any of the other bolt on wonders they make are anything special, let alone worth the cost.

I can take any old thing and polish it up and slap a badge or serial number on it and call it "limited edition" but it don't make it unique or worth anything LOL

Colleton, Zitrosounds and PP0001 like this.
  5. PP0001

PP0001 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Track Pack & 2018 Base R - Both SB & Blue OTT Stripes
    0   0   0
    I really have to smile when I see these posts that Ford is going to come up with 850 HP to 900 HP for the upcoming GT500 and anything below that is just unacceptable.

As you so correctly mentioned the new GT500 needs to have a balance between useable horsepower/torque and what the chassis, suspension, tires and transmission is set up to handle.

A great example of too much horsepower with a suspension and chassis that is not up to task is the 2019 Corvette ZR1 whereby it has 755 HP in a car with a curb weight of 3650# but it's chassis and suspension are no match for all the horsepower and torque of that engine let alone a transmission that is slow shifting which is unacceptable for a $130,000 automobile. I am not a big BMW fan but for pretty much the same price the M5 is a much more balanced automobile with performance figures of course a little less than the ZR1 but outstanding for a 4 door sedan.

No doubt that the GT500 will be very fast in a straight line/quarter mile sprint but this car will be intended to be much more than that and will end up being a very well balanced track car with terrific straight line acceleration and will definitely will not be in the 850 to 900 HP range.

:sunglasses:

JR369, Colleton, Zitrosounds and 2 others like this.
  6. SVTSNAKE355

First Name:
    hothands
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 GT500
    0   0   0
    WRONG!!! non car people or car people it does not matter when it comes to a SELL.to say that there are no people that just buy based on numbers is stupid and a dam lie.one reason FORD did the IRS was to SELL ,to more people.:crackup:

7. Epiphany

Vehicle(s):
    Quick
    0   0   0
    Ford went with the IRS (after a previous attempt on certain New Edge cars) because it makes for a better ride with the potential for much improved handling dynamics in performance applications.

JR369, 50 Deep, Colleton and 2 others like this.
  8. SVTSNAKE355

First Name:
    hothands
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 GT500
    0   0   0
    did you notice,i said one reason?i did not say the ONLY reason.:like:

9. Epiphany

Vehicle(s):
    Quick
    0   0   0
    What I'm saying to you is that Ford went with the IRS in the S550 in order to make it a better car. They were a little late to the game in terms of their competition but again, they did it because it made for a welcome improvement (unless your life is drag only 24/7). It obviously wasn't a sales tactic meant to appeal to buyers with a narrow focus.

10. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Agreed. Considering you have FBO GTs with tires and suspension beating hellcats at the drag strip, I don't think the GT500 would need all that much to be right there with the hellcat. Hell, doesn't the ZL1 stick with the Hellcat at the strip?

I don't think the focus needs to be on straight line speed. The current "King" in that respect is the Hellcat, and that car is fairly underwhelming in stock form. Where it needs to be focused is at the ZL1 1LE, and considering the GT350R can run close in terms of lateral grip and speed through turns, I don't think the GT500 NEEDS over 700hp to "make up" time in the straights. Give the GT500 right around 700hp, make advancements in weight reduction to keep the weight and balance close to the GT350, upgrade the brakes, go all in on the aero, and we could have a serious winner. But weight is the biggest issue, and I don't think that's going to be looking so hot over here in the Ford camp.

Do I think the GT500 will be faster than a 1LE? Sure. Do I think it's going to be significant? No. Do I think it's going to be enough to hold off the competition (rumors of a coming Z/28)? Absolutely not

AmericanV8Guy, PP0001 and Zitrosounds like this.
  11. Epiphany

Vehicle(s):
    Quick
    0   0   0
    I wholeheartedly agree with the above.

Zitrosounds and jake_zx2 like this.
  12. A Faster Horse

A Faster Horse Strongest Member

Vehicle(s):
    Car
    0   0   0
    Excitement is at an all-time low for the car, It's about 2 years late to the show. All this wait just to have it get beaten by the next generation Camaro Z28. :facepalm:

jake_zx2 likes this.
  13. Hi-PO Stang

Hi-PO Stang Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2014 Shelby GT500
    0   0   0
    I would rather have had Ford put a supercharger on the GT350 and called it a GT500 starting with the 2016 Model year. Even if it had only 600 HP, I think it would been better to have had a GT500 then to have to wait until late 2019 for a GT500. I just don't like gaps in production for that long. Ford could have kept us all happy until the 2020 GT500 was ready.

14. CVCashmere

CVCashmere Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle(s):
    15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways, 50th wh
    Works in a Factory
    0   0   0
    That's one porker I can't wait to see!

CVCashmere

15. SVTSNAKE355

First Name:
    hothands
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 GT500
    0   0   0
    ford knew in order to get in over seas and SELL a nice amount of mustangs, the IRS was needed to help push that, and it help SELL alot of mustangs over there. I myself am not into 1/4 mile racing. To me the fun starts after the 1/4 mile

16. SVTSNAKE355

First Name:
    hothands
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 GT500
    0   0   0
    I think Ford is working on the new GT500 now, and on another motor for the s650.Remember Ford did trademark the name ecobeast.i think that might come in the next generation mustang

17. PP0001

PP0001 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Agreed that the wait for the GT500 has been lengthy and frustrating but suggest that the wait will be worth it.

Assuming that Chevrolet does come out with a new 7th generation Z28 I sure hope that they come up with a much better product than the 5th generation Z28 which provided us with a porker of a Pony car, underwhelming performance from a left over NA Corvette engine and a price tag that was absolutely ridiculous ~($76,000 with AC).

The bang for the buck for the limited edition 2014/2015 Z28's was horrible with the GM crowd confirming just how underwhelming this car was.

I appreciate and respect good competition and hopefully GM/Chevrolet will have their act together on their next generation Z28 Pony car.

:beer:

18. ngiotta

ngiotta Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT / '70 Mach 1 (TT Coyote) / '08 GT500 (Sold)
    0   0   0
    I think the 750-780hp range is fairly locked for the GT500. After all, we all know that Ford has to leave room on the table for the aftermarket. When I owned a GT500, I used to caravan to events with other local GT500 owners, sometimes 15 or more, and not a single guy had less than an extra 100-200hp in pulleys, tunes, or blower upgrades. If Ford is STARTING at 750ish, they know full well that most of the owners are going to add 100hp+ by ordering a pulley/tune/intake as soon as they drive the car home. think about how stout the entire drive train has to be for their enthusiasts. Just sayin'...

nastang87xx and PP0001 like this.
  19. PP0001

PP0001 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    If we look at the recent history for the most recent GT500's the horsepower rating started out at 500 HP for the 2007MY and elevated up to 662 HP over a period of 8 production years culminating with the 2013/2014 cars.

Personally it is hard for me to comprehend why Ford would jump from 662 HP in 2014 and then all the way up to 850 HP or 900 HP for the upcoming 2019/2020 GT500 regardless of what the Mopar or GM camps are doing.

I would have to agree with your suggestion of ~750 HP for this first go around after which time Ford will continue to develop and eventually increase the horsepower up to the 850 HP range but all in due course.

:wink:

20. Genxer

Genxer Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I love Mustangs but would never pay the kind of money these higher end versions fetch (even if I could afford it). They're cool and somewhat exclusive, I guess. Anyway, it's always cool to see what Ford can do.

Shoot, for $130k I'd be looking at an AMG GT.