Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wonder what it would take for Ford to rebuild a problematic engine. For something like oil consumption, it seems to be the valve seals. Its a shame to replace an entire engine for something that IMHO isn't that big of a deal (in comparison). Has anybody ever tried to work with Ford Performance to drive or deliver a vehicle to them in lieu of undergoing an entire engine swap?

A friend who worked for Chrysler was involved in these kinds of issues and they used to rebuild the problematic engines to preserve the integrity of the vehicle (numbers matching).

If I were in this situation, that's what I'd be after.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wonder what it would take for Ford to rebuild a problematic engine. For something like oil consumption, it seems to be the valve seals. Its a shame to replace an entire engine for something that IMHO isn't that big of a deal (in comparison). Has anybody ever tried to work with Ford Performance to drive or deliver a vehicle to them in lieu of undergoing an entire engine swap?

A friend who worked for Chrysler was involved in these kinds of issues and they used to rebuild the problematic engines to preserve the integrity of the vehicle (numbers matching).

I wish Ford could refurbish them and offer them for sale.

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray

While I don't necessarily think the sky is falling, that right there makes me wonder if there is an underlying issue. As a publicly traded company with its first priority being to make money, why would Ford choose to spend 20k to replace an engine vs a fraction of that to fix an oil consumption issue. Effectively sight unseen, as they don't even tear into the engine to confirm the issue. For those that place blame on driving habits, etc. don't you find that even a little bit odd?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wish Ford could refurbish them and offer them for sale.
Heck, I'd buy an oil consumption engine and rebuild it myself so that I could have a spare. I bought a brand new transmission a while back, I certainly would like to have an engine as well. Maybe get one of those dyno stands that Jay Lenno has...…..

I don't think that would ever happen though. If these engines were commonly released, it would become apparent what the problem is and Ford may be facing a recall or lawsuit.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
While I don't necessarily think the sky is falling, that right there makes me wonder if there is an underlying issue. As a publicly traded company with its first priority being to make money, why would Ford choose to spend 20k to replace an engine vs a fraction of that to fix an oil consumption issue. Effectively sight unseen, as they don't even tear into the engine to confirm the issue. For those that place blame on driving habits, etc. don't you find that even a little bit odd?
I do believe many of the oil consumption issues are borescoped at the dealership and IIRC, excessive oil has been found in a cylinder(s). I do believe the diagnosis was valve seals (that is of course without tearing into the engine).

It was said that Ford does not want dealership techs tearing into engines. I completely get that. Chrysler used to remove the engines from vipers and ship them off to be rebuilt. I would suspect that someone somewhere did a cost analysis and figured it would be cheaper to replace the motor than to have a separate department with a staff on hand to rebuild engines on demand.

I wonder what they do with all of those motors? I am sure some QA folks do some degree of teardown to determine the problem, but what do they do with the engines after that? Scrap?

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
My thoughts exactly... one of the the track guys just lost his motor and Ford denied his motor warranty claim due to abuse / racing. So he had a shop tear down the motor to find the oil pickup o-ring blowing out - eventually destroying some valves / pistons. (I haven't been on the forum much lately and not sure if this was posted here).

I find it odd that Ford doesn't tear into the motor to determine the failure. As if to hide the issue from the community / public. Makes me think there is an underlying issue as well...

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i believe one guy showed a work order after replacement and it said "remanufactured"...so they might in fact be rebuilding them.

also, if i were ford i wouldn't want the same people that are unable to install a splitter correctly, haphazardly tearing into a voodoo.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I’ve replaced 3 or 4 engines already and the reason was oil consumption. Ford doesn’t let us tear the engines down cause they are hand built and badged and all that good stuff.
I hope you are a Ford tech and not an owner who lost count.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
It's a shame. There really is good info being put forth here. It's just a matter of time before this thread is shut down because people can't be civil. I'm not pointing to anyone in particular, but let me say for the sake of the content matter, it sure would be nice for all parties to quit the petty bickering and stay on topic. But who the hell am I?

Oh, I'm a guy who is seeing an increase in oil consumption. Well within limits, but still......
PS forgot to ask - you have 2 GT350s. How do they compare oil consumption wise? One is primarily tracked, right?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
PS forgot to ask - you have 2 GT350s. How do they compare oil consumption wise? One is primarily tracked, right?
The triple yellow R is driven as much as I find time and the avalanche grey R stays in the garage. Its a long story, but I'll give you the short version. I had a '16 track pack, I was after an R. I ordered the AG R and it took over a year to be built and delivered. In the mean time, the TY R became available for a 2K ADM. I got an excellent trade on my '16 track pack and obtained the TY R. The plan was to drive the TY R until the 500 came out. One year later, still no 500. I track the TY R once a year at Daytona. The AG R is intended to become more of a steady driver should the TY R be traded or sold towards the 500 or ME Vette.

I tend to agree with peoples assessment that the motor driven under load greatly reduces oil consumption. Last year, I used zero oil at the track. Driving around under normal circumstances, it goes through some oil, but below the threshold that Ford would change the motor out. Daytona is at the end of November and beginning of December (first weekend of December). I plan to verify my observations to confirm that driving habits/usage have an affect on oil consumption.

On another note........

I was out today to wish well to one of our members who is picking up JR621 (I believe that was the chassis) at my local dealership. While I was there I stopped in to talk to my dealers Shelby expert mechanic and the subject of oil consumption came up. I mentioned that this is happening enough to the point that it was a concern. He mentioned that he has already performed an engine swap under warranty. I asked him if an engine began to consume an excessive amount of oil, what would be the remedy? His reply was swap the engine out (yes, I already knew the answer). I mentioned that the block is VIN matching and what if I wanted to get the engine repaired (valve seals, etc) in lieu of warranty replacement? I was told that it came down to who was paying for it. I was led to believe that if I wanted to pay for it, it would not void the engine warranty if the repair was accomplished by Ford authorized personnel. He confirmed that for a warranty repair, he is not allowed to crack the engine open and do any internal engine repairs. This was two guys talking and he was not speaking as this was gospel or absolute fact. I would trust this individual to accomplish this kind of work. He is sharp and an excellent mechanic. I have no idea the amount of money it would require to get the affected valve assemblies rebuilt, but for those who are concerned about numbers matching, it might be worth looking into.

BtwoG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I had my engine replaced as well with around 2000 miles on the clock. Sitting at a traffic light, oil pressure went to zero. The car never consumed any oil, was never tracked, and in fact probably only saw redline a handful of times. Dealership said oil pump gasket was installed incorrectly at the factory, whatever that means.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I had my engine replaced as well with around 2000 miles on the clock. Sitting at a traffic light, oil pressure went to zero. The car never consumed any oil, was never tracked, and in fact probably only saw redline a handful of times. Dealership said oil pump gasket was installed incorrectly at the factory, whatever that means.
It means your oil pump gasket looked like this when they disassembled it:
<a href="https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/blown-engine-thread.104010/page-49#post-2350789">Blown Engine Thread</a>

If the link doesn't work, look for post # 964 in this thread.

Last edited:

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
I had posted this a while back. This happened at the track at around 2,600 miles. My R is only tracked - not a DD. I redid the break in and have been back to the track once so far. Hoping to get out again this week. What I am more curious about is the failure rate on engine #2. I am hoping (maybe I am too optimistic) the second engine had the fix. We will never know. I will keep you guys informed on my longevity on the car. I think a very important part of all this is to build a very strong relationship with your dealer. The service manager always wants me to text him, etc when coming in. I have a roll bar and harnesses in the car. He is very well aware of the tracking that I do. We were joking in the car when I said "I dont race - just drive for fun" He said don't worry - That is not a factor and he would take care of me. They get $$$$'s for warranty work and they want those dollars. I also had him look at my AutoBlip - he said, that will not void your warranty either. Point is - drop off gift certificates and don't do any engine mods - Tunes, etc will hose you. He did say that was the one thing not to do. I know everyone says - they have prove that it caused the failure Why mess with it and potentially get into a lawsuit which will just side line your car for months? This car rocks as is on the track with Camber Plates and the right tires. BTW - dealer had a new engine in and ready to go in 7 days.
engine.jpg