Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I have to admit, SUV underpinnings for the Mustang really have me concerned.

Rather than hearing words of intentionality in making Mustang great, we hear words about "it's not going to bastardize Mustang..." I am sorry, but that sounds a whole lot like "It's not going to be so terrible" rather than "we are making the Mustang the fastest, best handling, best designed, most comfortable, best in class pony/sports car that you can buy anywhere near its price range."

When you literally have TWO actual cars to sell and you are putting the most special one on an SUV modular platform... let's just hope they are somehow going to get that car enough leeway with the platform to actually make it better as a Mustang and competition killer as well as AWD.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I have to admit, SUV underpinnings for the Mustang really have me concerned.

Rather than hearing words of intentionality in making Mustang great, we hear words about "it's not going to bastardize Mustang..." I am sorry, but that sounds a whole lot like "It's not going to be so terrible" rather than "we are making the Mustang the fastest, best handling, best designed, most comfortable, best in class pony/sports car that you can buy anywhere near its price range."

When you literally have TWO actual cars to sell and you are putting the most special one on an SUV modular platform... let's just hope they are somehow going to get that car enough leeway with the platform to actually make it better as a Mustang and competition killer as well as AWD.
Well, it’s not a “SUV platform” per se, it’s a C-D Modular platform for multiple purposes. The new Gen Mondeo (Fusion) will use it, the MKZ, eventually the (Chinese) Taurus, the new gen Continental (as soon as it gets a replacement) and the New Mustang... I mean, the current S550 is still based on the ancient D2C, it’s not the same one but it was not a “clean sheet” either.

I don’t think the Mustang will be AWD in the near future.

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
implementing an all aluminum mustang with a modular chassis will be a very welcome update. the major knock against the car is that its still too heavy. knock a couple hundred lbs off it and this thing will feel like a totally different car
With a stiffer chassis and possible form hybrid of AWD, it is very possible. On a personal note, perfect timing too since I will have my current stang fully paid off by then. Now I am rethinking trading it in for a GT.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
I hope the new model looses weight and it needs to gain more hp and if they offer an awd version that will be a good choice for people that have snow in there areas.

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
Hybrid... the worst of both worlds. I would buy a pure EV Mustang.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Hybrid... the worst of both worlds. I would buy a pure EV Mustang.
And just like that Mustang would be dead.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Well, it’s not a “SUV platform” per se, it’s a C-D Modular platform for multiple purposes. The new Gen Mondeo (Fusion) will use it, the MKZ, eventually the (Chinese) Taurus, the new gen Continental (as soon as it gets a replacement) and the New Mustang... I mean, the current S550 is still based on the ancient D2C, it’s not the same one but it was not a “clean sheet” either.

I don’t think the Mustang will be AWD in the near future.

So then... back to my original point.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
When the Lincoln Aviator (the next-gen Explorer's cousin) concept was shown earlier this year, one automotive publication (I can't recall which one it was) took some photos underneath and claimed the rear suspension was a direct copy S550's.

Now, of course, as a concept, there's no guarantee that's what'll reach production, but I would suspect it strongly points to the fact this RWD/AWD architecture will share much with S550.......so S650 may well not be a "clean sheet" design. It would be crazy, in my opinion, to throw away the good stuff and start again. Utilise what works, and improve what doesn't.

Whilst Ford are going through a significant amount of turmoil, at present, I have faith the 7th gen Mustang will be the best yet.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
When the Lincoln Aviator (the next-gen Explorer's cousin) concept was shown earlier this year, one automotive publication (I can't recall which one it was) took some photos underneath and claimed the rear suspension was a direct copy S550's.

Now, of course, as a concept, there's no guarantee that's what'll reach production, but I would suspect it strongly points to the fact this RWD/AWD architecture will share much with S550.......so S650 may well not be a "clean sheet" design. It would be crazy, in my opinion, to throw away the good stuff and start again. Utilise what works, and improve what doesn't.

Whilst Ford are going through a significant amount of turmoil, at present, I have faith the 7th gen Mustang will be the best yet.
It makes me uncomfortable that S650 could share the S550 IRS setup. Among other shortcomings, the mount points of the LCAs are severely flawed and cause bind that makes it feel much less precise... This is a contributing factor to the whole "Camaro has a better chassis" rhetoric. Also meant to say earlier in my personal ideal vision of S650, revise the IRS and give that beast a double-wishbone front suspension setup! More pipedreaming haha

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
And just like that Mustang would be dead.
I wouldn't say that. Electric motors can be brutes, as Tesla has proven.

A hybrid might make for interesting driving and acceleration dynamics, depending on what they do with it / how they do it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It makes me uncomfortable that S650 could share the S550 IRS setup. Among other shortcomings, the mount points of the LCAs are severely flawed and cause bind that makes it feel much less precise... This is a contributing factor to the whole "Camaro has a better chassis" rhetoric. Also meant to say earlier in my personal ideal vision of S650, revise the IRS and give that beast a double-wishbone front suspension setup! More pipedreaming haha
I'm happy with the Mustang's handling. I would love improvements, but it's really good as-is IMO.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
With today's news that the EV SUV is going to use Mustang styling cues, I need something to get excited about. Here's a snippet of info from an article relating to that car

https://medium.com/live-electric/th...-generation-of-electric-vehicles-2f105026012f

By Darren Palmer, Ford Team Edison Global Product Development

"You’d think after 28 years of working for the same company that nothing would surprise me. I’ve been fortunate enough to work for Ford across many amazing teams on many exciting assignments, most recently leading development of the next-generation Mustang"

One would assume though that development of the next-generation Mustang is ongoing........in fact, you could assume it's just started! So, does someone else fill his shoes whilst he now works on the EV SUV? Whatever, at least its good to hear something of the next-gen :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.