Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
That’s what i hoped for. Unfortunately it is based on the heavy S550 platform. Ford could have introduced a new and lighter platform which would be the foundation for the S650 with the upcoming GT500, since the car is coming up way too late. That’s not the case unfortunately.
Al;
That was exactly my thinking. They should have either released the GT500 already or since it's way late, it should be on the new platform. So that means the GT500 will be one year on the S550 and then what for the following year?
Sponsored

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
Whilst I appreciate any articles should be read with caution and a large pinch of salt, there are two Mustang team members directly quoted in the article TN posted (see below) So, I'm prepared to believe at least those parts. That, along with Chris Stevens confirming he's working on S650, and the previous PDF showing the 5 new plaforms at least gives us some solid info (S650 will utilise the forthcoming RWD/AWD architecture). The 2021 introduction is another matter, as that wasn't quoted and is likely an assumption on the author's part.

"Mustang is still going to be a strong, well proportioned vehicle," the Mustang's chief designer, Darrell Behmer, said. "The modular architectures will still give us flexibility; it's not going to bastardize Mustang."

‘A tremendous trick'

Widmann said the move won't fundamentally change the car.

"The general layout of rwd has morphed over time, but it's still the general architecture that it has been," he said. "In the architectureworld of a rwd — which you're going to end up with a rwd architecture — I think these pieces of it are pieces that will always work. As you tune it and put a top hat on it, you can get different combinations and can define a lot of the emotion."
I was talking about it being introduced in 2021. Plans change constantly.

Al;
That was exactly my thinking. They should have either released the GT500 already or since it's way late, it should be on the new platform. So that means the GT500 will be one year on the S550 and then what for the following year?
S650 is still years away. Just think about it, does it makes sense the GT500 just living one year?

Jack79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda's
An lightweight aluminium modular chassis and aluminium panels with AWD would be great.

Now that would be fun to drive, loved my driving AWD Subaru WRX and Legacy GT.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Cool, yeah, i thought you were and I agree about the plans changing constantly :)

To be honest, I'll only get excited for S650 once the first prototypes are spotted. In the meantime, the S550 is still plenty good enough to stay relevant for the next few years.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

S650 is still years away. Just think about it, does it makes sense the GT500 just living one year?
S650 is coming in 2021 as a 2022 model if I remember right. The original plan was 2020. GT500 coming out in 2019 gives a 2 year head start. New platform higher HP on the GT500 would still make it a good deal even if the S650 GT's roll down the assembly line. All Ford had to do was a refresh on the GT500 with better engine specs and minor cosmetic updates.

Sponsored

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2

13-14 GT500 would like to have a word with you

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
S650 is coming in 2021 as a 2022 model if I remember right. The original plan was 2020. GT500 coming out in 2019 gives a 2 year head start. New platform higher HP on the GT500 would still make it a good deal even if the S650 GT's roll down the assembly line. All Ford had to do was a refresh on the GT500 with better engine specs and minor cosmetic updates.
The GT500 is based off the GT350... that Ford races. Ford Performance is not making the 500, for people's fantasy, but as a vehicle to race in a motorsports series with.

The s650 will have it's day... but that will be a few years from now (3 years realistically). So no need to rush anything...

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The way I see it, S650 could lose about 5% weight with apples to apples drivetrain. The hybrid is likely to be the only AWD mustang ever. I wouldn't expect much more than that.

So, it wouldn't be crazy to see a 3600 lb 525hp GT, and probably something in the realm of +125hp hybrid-electric drive. I say +125hp, because it is likely to be paired with FI-I4, NA-V8, and FI-V8. I would bet the Hybrid FI-V8 is still likely to tip the scales at over 4,000 lbs, but nobody will be complaining.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The way I see it, S650 could lose about 5% weight with apples to apples drivetrain. The hybrid is likely to be the only AWD mustang ever. I wouldn't expect much more than that.

So, it wouldn't be crazy to see a 3600 lb 525hp GT, and probably something in the realm of +125hp hybrid-electric drive. I say +125hp, because it is likely to be paired with FI-I4, NA-V8, and FI-V8. I would bet the Hybrid FI-V8 is still likely to tip the scales at over 4,000 lbs, but nobody will be complaining.
I suspect the hybrid will only ever be offered with the I4. The tt v6 or the na V8 take up too much space in the current platform exactly where you need the electric drive train on the front wheels. Move the motor well back behind the axel line or use a narrower motor are realistically the only two options if you want to drive the front wheels electrically in the S550 platform. If the s650 is a ground up design with the focus on hybrid from day 1 then I guess the v6tt can work too. Front engine rwd does not lend itself to electric drive of the front axel. Hence most hybrids are fwd with electric on the rear end, or mid engine rwd with electric at the front, or conventional drive train with electric boost on the existing transmission

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Without taking this too far off topic, I suspect the hybrid Mustang will utilise whatever system the soon-to-be-launched Explorer is using. I need to research, but I thought that was going to use a hybrid system located within the 10-speed auto transmission (or maybe I dreamed that!!!)

fkscreennames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Magnetic Metallic
I think the S650 GT will start by offering a revised beefier Coyote engine, but we'll see parts of the hybrid Mustang trickling down to it in a mid-cycle refresh. Which would make a lot of sense. It would give them the opportunity to see what works, what doesn't, and to perfect the hybrid stuff.

As far as the GT500, it's possible they don't have plans to use a heavy supercharged V8 for the S650, so using the current chassis for what might possibly be the last time they make a car like this also makes sense.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ideally, what I’d like to see is a high revving, TT 4.0 V8 or something to that effect. Because of the decrease in size, they could probably mount it further back in the engine bay, and maybe go as far as to mount it behind the front axle for a front-mid-engine layout. That would provide smaller overhangs and a longer wheelbase to give it excellent proportions, and could possibly leave room for some hybrid power to the front wheels in an FI V8 application. If this is the case (and they still offer a manual), then I could very well end up with yet another pony in my stable.

Of course, this is a bit of a pipe dream

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I suspect the hybrid will only ever be offered with the I4. The tt v6 or the na V8 take up too much space in the current platform exactly where you need the electric drive train on the front wheels. Move the motor well back behind the axel line or use a narrower motor are realistically the only two options if you want to drive the front wheels electrically in the S550 platform. If the s650 is a ground up design with the focus on hybrid from day 1 then I guess the v6tt can work too. Front engine rwd does not lend itself to electric drive of the front axel. Hence most hybrids are fwd with electric on the rear end, or mid engine rwd with electric at the front, or conventional drive train with electric boost on the existing transmission
While I would agree with the you on the idea that the hybrid option will only be available with the I4, I'm not so sure it is because of space requirements. It was my impression that the hybrid would use a transmission with the electric motor built in similar to below. That way no significant modifications to the platform would be required.

L0ARgRHu.png

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
So I take it a mustang7g.com is in the works?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.