Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Probably. I'd believe 4200+ if they took a loaded auto GT premium and added all that stuff and more gizmos/tech. Knowing what I do about some of the lightweighting on this car, I'm calling BS on this document.
Agree
Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
With the SRA and about 300lbs lighter, the 13-14 GT500 will still be the better 1/4 mile car. Then you add the 5.8liter vs 5.2 on top of it and well... I will own another 2014 GT500 again, so I am a bit biased, however the S550 chassis is superior in almost every way. I am anxious to see how this thing handles turns.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
If this car is coming out as a 2020 model and the new gen mustang is coming out in 2021, why not introduce the GT500 with a better and lighter platform which will also be used for the next gen mustangs? Or is it a wet dream to see a weight reduction for the next gen as well?
I wouldn't be surprised if S650 didn't coming out in 2021. The whole no more cars thing affected quite a bit. But the business case for D6R just got much better...

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
If this car is coming out as a 2020 model and the new gen mustang is coming out in 2021, why not introduce the GT500 with a better and lighter platform which will also be used for the next gen mustangs? Or is it a wet dream to see a weight reduction for the next gen as well?
I'll play devils advocate here. I would say Ford is going to be generous in their weights and leaked documents. In other words, 4200lbs may be more than the car will actually weigh but not far off. When the S550 platform was nearing production, Ford let slip that the platform would be lighter than the S197. Boy oh boy was that wrong and Ford was hammered for it. I for one was truly disappointed. So releasing an inflated number is actually rather smart inf the car weighs in under, no? No matter what, this car is going to be heavy. Forget the skin of the car and focus on the chassis. The chassis is not going to get lighter than the setup used in the GT350. That is where the weight savings is needed. The Alpha platform uses much more AL throughout its chassis and therefor it is lighter than the S550's.
As 68fbjjz109 posted in his description below which is a clear description on how the new GT500 could quite possibly weigh in at 4200 lbs. I am sure once the care hits the roads and people witness how fast the car will be they wont bat an eye come purchase time.
2018 GT350 rounding up weighs 3800 lbs.

"10R80 is 115lbs heavier than the 3160 so now 3915 lbs"

"Easton TVS 2650 is ~185lbs so now 4100 lbs"

"Add more fascia, coolers, more tire, more wheel, more brake, subtract some for CF driveshaft and maybe some CFRP elsewhere".

'Given that the ZL1 can get as heavy as 4100+ and has a 100lbs+ body weight advantage alone, coupled with more aluminum used throughout. I would say Ford has done alright and a low content/R model might be closer to 4100".

"That being said, I hear it will be very fast, it will just be hard on tires and brakes in comparison to some other lighter offerings".

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, if Ford is overcompensating for cooling everything (See all of the complaints they got with the transmission on the GT350 overheating), then I can see this weight being legit.

• Oversized Diff Cooler
  • Oversized transmission cooler
  • Uber large intercooler
  • Plus all of the additional fluids and plumbing envolved.
  • If it has a DCT, then who knows what that weighs. (Same if Auto).

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally a fake. The last GT500 did 199mph with less power and poorer aero. The 707hp Charger, which weighs 4,575lbs, will do 202mph. Even if the weight on this were true (it's not), it would still be more apt to go faster than a Charger.

Depends on gearing and aero. If it has aggressive track oriented aero, then it will most likely not be a slippery as the 2014.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Depends on gearing and aero. If it has aggressive track oriented aero, then it will most likely not be a slippery as the 2014.
Not only that the S550 is wider than the S197. There is this thing called (DRAG) physics. No, it is not which craft. Its called SCIENCE!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ford had to learn their lesson from saying the 15 gt was voing to be lighter. Leak numbers on the heavy side. Then go yay its lighter than we thought and has more power. Or.........The GT500 is just not going to live up to the hype. Glad I didnt wait.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I'll play devils advocate here. I would say Ford is going to be generous in their weights and leaked documents. In other words, 4200lbs may be more than the car will actually weigh but not far off. When the S550 platform was nearing production, Ford let slip that the platform would be lighter than the S197. Boy oh boy was that wrong and Ford was hammered for it. I for one was truly disappointed. So releasing an inflated number is actually rather smart inf the car weighs in under, no? No matter what, this car is going to be heavy. Forget the skin of the car and focus on the chassis. The chassis is not going to get lighter than the setup used in the GT350. That is where the weight savings is needed. The Alpha platform uses much more AL throughout its chassis and therefor it is lighter than the S550's.
As 68fbjjz109 posted in his description below which is a clear description on how the new GT500 could quite possibly weigh in at 4200 lbs. I am sure once the care hits the roads and people witness how fast the car will be they wont bat an eye come purchase time.
2018 GT350 rounding up weighs 3800 lbs.

"10R80 is 115lbs heavier than the 3160 so now 3915 lbs"

"Easton TVS 2650 is ~185lbs so now 4100 lbs"

"Add more fascia, coolers, more tire, more wheel, more brake, subtract some for CF driveshaft and maybe some CFRP elsewhere".

'Given that the ZL1 can get as heavy as 4100+ and has a 100lbs+ body weight advantage alone, coupled with more aluminum used throughout. I would say Ford has done alright and a low content/R model might be closer to 4100".

"That being said, I hear it will be very fast, it will just be hard on tires and brakes in comparison to some other lighter offerings".
Its hard to be generous with weights, just like HP. Vehicle weight, option take rate all that effects where the vehicle falls within for EPA considerations. So tracking weight is a serious matter. However If this was a leaked S650 document absolutely, system weights always have some fluff while a vehicle is in development. Its not really till tooling is kicked off that a vehicle weight is within 90% or more of production weight. I have seen much less professional looking working documents with key information for future vehicle programs.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I have to say I believe some of what is in this document. Sure the power and other numbers could be off, but I do not think they are far off. If you S/C a 5.0 now you will reach those numbers on a decent tune. Now you take Ford mass production and a SAFE tune, and 720 does not sound so crazy. The weight ? Yes. Take a GT or a GT350 and start adding to it. It can get to 4000 pounds quickly. The S550 platform is not a super lightweight platform. Even if they do weight savings, I am not seeing this car under 3900.

As for miss types and miss spelled words...well that is the corporate office for you. Guess we will see what happens. I am hopeful that if the hype starts up again, perhaps we can see something more than a CGI video of the car.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
My Opinion-Fake. I guess at that weight it could be a mild Hybrid with a battery...(Not!)

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
There are a few things that make me think this is fake. The bed spelling is clue number 1 to me.

Also max power is at 7500 RPM, which also happens to be max engine speed? Yeah that doesn't seem right to me.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
There are a few things that make me think this is fake. The bed spelling is clue number 1 to me.

Also max power is at 7500 RPM, which also happens to be max engine speed? Yeah that doesn't seem right to me.
That happens often. The new Ferrari Pista is the same way. 8000rpm for max power and engine speed.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That happens often. The new Ferrari Pista is the same way. 8000rpm for max power and engine speed.
With a centrifugal supercharger it is more common than with a positive displacement style blower. The Ferrari you mention is turbocharged and it's a small engine at 3.9 liters. They have to wring it out to get the power. With a relatively large engine, that is not necessary.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.