Sponsored

oil leaking all along driver side valve cover?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I've been smelling burning when I first start the car, and I opened the hood yesterday to see smoke coming off of the drivers side manifold. I could see oil dripping in a few spots along the edge of the valve cover.

Anyone else had this happen? Its hard to see in the pic but you can see its all wet along the edge, couldn't catch the smoke as it was happening.

IMG_20180610_174404.jpg
Sponsored

Fleco17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josr
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt
Definitely would be taking it in to the dealership. Otherwise no smell or leaks on mine, so far.

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Definitely would be taking it in to the dealership. Otherwise no smell or leaks on mine, so far.
Yeah I have to wait until next week, my beater is in the shop getting a bunch of front end work done. Just wondering if leaky valve covers are a thing with these motors.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I would just make sure the bolts are tightened. Good chance they are just loose I believe others have had issues with them being left a little loose in the past.

I'd advise against using a ratchet though, easy to overtighten and crack plastic valve covers. If you dont have a torque wrench Autozone will rent you one for free. Torque spec is 89 in/lbs. Might be able to save yourself a trip to the dealer and some downtime.

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Well to add to the saga, I've been having another issue with clicking above the throttle body previously and it seems this is related somehow (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102999). Today the car started to blow a smokescreen, to the point where I almost got it towed because I was afraid it would catch fire.

I managed to get it home, and now I see when the clicking happens the car POURS smoke out from behind the drivers side head. It isn't exactly all from the valve cover leaking on to the manifold, it seems to be even behind that. Its going to the dealer tomorrow.

Sponsored

Pony67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford Mustang gt
I've been smelling burning when I first start the car, and I opened the hood yesterday to see smoke coming off of the drivers side manifold. I could see oil dripping in a few spots along the edge of the valve cover.

Anyone else had this happen? Its hard to see in the pic but you can see its all wet along the edge, couldn't catch the smoke as it was happening.

IMG_20180610_174404.jpg
Have the same issue on my 2017 Mustang GT manual pp only 11k miles just took it in dealership today to replace valve gasket

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
So after many post on a S550 facebook group about this..

I decided to check mine.. I have no leaks but said what the hell. Of all the ones I could get to only one was really loose.
The rest I got a small turn on.

It is weird how there are blank spots on the valve cover where more bolts could go. Guess Ford was being cheap. lol

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
Also had this issue, '17 manual PP, @ 13k miles. Quick warranty fix. Of course, the dealer forgot one of the nuts holding down my strut bar when they reinstalled...

Sponsored

duckydave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt premium black w/50 yr appearance pkg
There is a TSB about he missing bolts
Also a thread with a link to the TSB here
So after many post on a S550 facebook group about this..

It is weird how there are blank spots on the valve cover where more bolts could go. Guess Ford was being cheap. lol

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you have a 2015-2017 S550 with the 5.0, here’s the thread with the Ford TSB:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/check-your-valve-cover-bolts.22476/page-3#post-2740885

If your vehicle is still covered under the 3/36, the TSB gets done under the warranty (no out of pocket cost). If it’s past the 3/36, the TSB *might* be applicable under the 5/60 Drivetrain - but no one has posted if they were able to get it done by a Ford Service Center under the 5/60.

Also no one has posted yet what the out of pocket cost at a Ford Service Center is for such a repair.

I’m not even sure why Ford or the Engineering Team skimped out on not using bolts around the entire perimeter of the valve cover... when there are provisions for such hardware.

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
Hmm... now I wonder if they did this TSB when they replaced the gaskets...

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
If you have a 2015-2017 S550 with the 5.0, here’s the thread with the Ford TSB:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/check-your-valve-cover-bolts.22476/page-3#post-2740885

If your vehicle is still covered under the 3/36, the TSB gets done under the warranty (no out of pocket cost). If it’s past the 3/36, the TSB *might* be applicable under the 5/60 Drivetrain - but no one has posted if they were able to get it done by a Ford Service Center under the 5/60.

Also no one has posted yet what the out of pocket cost at a Ford Service Center is for such a repair.

I’m not even sure why Ford or the Engineering Team skimped out on not using bolts around the entire perimeter of the valve cover... when there are provisions for such hardware.
Well, I have no leaks and this sounds like something Ford won't pay for.

How stupid can they be and not use all the bolt holes in the head?
Maybe if I ever do a blower install I will drill new holes my self. lol
Sponsored