Sponsored

Considering upgrading

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium, with saddle interior
I have a 2015 GT Premium, special ordered new just as the cars hit the lots back in 2014. Car is almost paid off. Been wrestling with the idea of trading it in on a slightly used 2016 GT350 with the electronic package.

I've been told the 16's without the track package have some issues with trans cooling, and to avoid them at ALL costs. Finding out this news really bummed me out. As I love the tech package in my GT, and don't want to downgrade to the base infotainment.

A little about my driving style, this will be my DD. Travel approx. 10miles every day too and from work. May go on long cruises on the weekends, but typically take my wife’s car out for random errands. I never track the car, and never care to. My drive to and from work is 100% residential. so I never go above 40mph. Though, I will stretch it's legs on a weekend jaunt.

How worried do I need to be about this trans cooling issue? Are there some precautions I can take to fix it?
Sponsored

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
You can buy a 2016 Track Pack and upgrade the infotainment system. There are plug and play upgrades of the tech pack infotainment system for the Track Pack and there are posts about them here.

You should be aware that the upgraded GT350 system is not as good a system as what you have in your GT.

OP
OP
TiE2000

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the cooling issue really is a massive mistake on Fords end then. Easier to upgrade the infotainment then to address the trans cooling.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the cooling issue really is a massive mistake on Fords end then. Easier to upgrade the infotainment then to address the trans cooling.
Definitely easier to upgrade the infotainment system on a Track Pack.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check here on Facebook

OEM Radio Solutions

Sponsored

Bink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I never track the car, and never care to.
You'll be fine with the tech pack, unless your weekend jaunts are in a desert...

Yeah, the cooler issue was miss on Ford's part, but, from my reading, it is primarily a track issue.

(full disclosure, I have a '17 with all the coolers)

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
You may want to steer toward a 2016 Tech Pack. As others "avoid them at ALL costs", you can pick one up on the cheap. I never tracked my '16 Tech Pack, but definitely used the full RPM range that is available...never had overheat issues. BTW, the Tech Pack seats are way more comfortable then the Recaros.

OP
OP
TiE2000

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may want to steer toward a 2016 Tech Pack. As others "avoid them at ALL costs", you can pick one up on the cheap. I never tracked my '16 Tech Pack, but definitely used the full RPM range that is available...never had overheat issues. BTW, the Tech Pack seats are way more comfortable then the Recaros.
Yea just a quick search in my area (Houston) most of the 16 tech packs are considerably cheaper. average 3 to 5k less then a track pack car with similar miles.

For those of you with a 16 tech pack that does track it, what are you doing to combat this issue?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you are never going to track the car and you don't have access to public roads that somehow lend themselves to really hammering on the car you probably won't have a problem with a 2016 tech pack. You can induce limp mode on the street if it's a hot day and you operate the engine at high RPMs a lot, or if you are in a LONG bumper to bumper traffic jam.

Resale value could be a concern, but IMO you could also spin it in a positive way (this car doesn't have coolers, has never been on the road course, driven much more gently, etc.).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yea just a quick search in my area (Houston) most of the 16 tech packs are considerably cheaper. average 3 to 5k less then a track pack car with similar miles.

For those of you with a 16 tech pack that does track it, what are you doing to combat this issue?
I installed the track pack transmission and coolers from Ford Performance (no warranty) and the rear differential cooler kit from Ford Performance (no warranty) on my car. My first real HPDE since installing the coolers is coming up soon. It will be a cool day, but a couple years ago it was a cool day when I first had the car on a road course, and it got hot very quickly.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
GET IT!!!!! You already mention not tracking the car, THAT! would be your concern. Some have said they have hit limp mode on the streets, yet, there is no proof. You will find lots of proof on the internet on tech packs limping on track.
I came from a 15 GT/PP to GT350/TP and it blew my mind away. The difference is tremendous over the GT. GET IT!

OP
OP
TiE2000

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just did a quick google search to see what I could find if adding the system after market. The parts are not expensive at all. Was thinking that the cooler kit was several thousand dollars how people are talking about avoiding the cars.

https://lmr.com/item/M7095M8S/shelb...FjlGAG08s59O3V03vJo1DXC1VjTbomBhoC5okQAvD_BwE

I'm sure with labor, i'm still looking at less then what I'd drop on a new set of tires.

Edit, then I looked up the Diff...

https://lmr.com/item/M4000M8S/musta...aTVTWQRwH8RfJAmxxD1EN6dHr6S9bcZBoCOEkQAvD_BwE

looking at about 3k for the entire set to be installed adding in labor. maybe a bit more. That would be the price diff between the track and tech cars

Last edited:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
May wanna do the math comparison to a 2017 as well. Tech + track in one with no mods to get it there.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Travel approx. 10miles every day too and from work. My drive to and from work is 100% residential. so I never go above 40mph.
Wow, that's sounds like a fun commute!!

Not only would I not get a GT350, I'd park my GT and ride a bike to work.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
Right or wrong, the Teck pack will always be the least desirable of the GT350's. I would get a '17 or nothing.
Sponsored