Sponsored

POLL: Satisfaction with Ford Performance Power Pack 2

Are you satisfied with Ford Performance Power Pack 2? MT or AT ?

• Total voters

JustaMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'm stuck. Power pack 1 or 2 guys? I like the idea of a sealed box and I hear IAT's on the power pack 2 actually get hotter than just the stock sealed box. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about water getting to the intake. Plus the power pack 1 is cheaper and easier to install or revert back to stock. On top of that, HP and TQ claims are nearly identical with 40ft lbs down low and 13hp/16tq up top. Comparatively, 21hp/24tq with the PP2 which seems minuscule and likely won't even see those gains in hot traffic.

Anyone?
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I'm stuck. Power pack 1 or 2 guys? I like the idea of a sealed box and I hear IAT's on the power pack 2 actually get hotter than just the stock sealed box. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about water getting to the intake. Plus the power pack 1 is cheaper and easier to install or revert back to stock. On top of that, HP and TQ claims are nearly identical with 40ft lbs down low and 13hp/16tq up top. Comparatively, 21hp/24tq with the PP2 which seems minuscule and likely won't even see those gains in hot traffic.

Anyone?
Pp2. It’s like $600 via forum vendors(I think one of the ford dealers, Levittown, Autonation, something like that) . It’s not really that much hotter since it’s sealed up with the rubber.

However if your main priority is ease of install then sure pp1. I’m sure pp2 is reversible if one of the vacuum holes in the intake is plugged up.

Last edited:

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium

Anyone?
PP2 by far. Does it appear that the GT350 owners are concerned with water going into their intake? The CAI is an official Ford part. There are several videos out there by Yankee Dewey on YouTube regarding the different power packs. He purchased all 3 power packs and gave an independent review on each of them beginning with PP1. You may find that helpful. The ease of installing and reverting back to stock is the last thing I would be concerned with since they are both simple installations

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
PP2 by far. Does it appear that the GT350 owners are concerned with water going into their intake? The CAI is an official Ford part. There are several videos out there by Yankee Dewey on YouTube regarding the different power packs. He purchased all 3 power packs and gave an independent review on each of them beginning with PP1. You may find that helpful. The ease of installing and reverting back to stock is the last thing I would be concerned with since they are both simple installations
To be fair, the GT350 has a completely different hood design that does not allow any water to come close to the airbox. On the GT, the vent is directly above the airbox. Others have also noted increased IAT temps by up to 10 degrees versus sealed.

Having said all that, I would still recommend the PP2.

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
To be fair, the GT350 has a completely different hood design that does not allow any water to come close to the airbox. On the GT, the vent is directly above the airbox. Others have also noted increased IAT temps by up to 10 degrees versus sealed.

Having said all that, I would still recommend the PP2.
There certainly is an increase in the IAT with PP2. I noticed the increase immediately. When I am freeway driving, the IAT temps are between 4-6 degrees above the ambient air temp. When driving on the street, they can increase up to 20 degrees F above the ambient temp

Sponsored

OP
OP
2morrow

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

Anyone?
Remember folks, this thread was designed as a post install poll thread to discover issues for us to communicate with Ford Performance to update their tune as stated on the first page.

There are many, many power pack threads that have a lot of this info already that can be accessed using the search tool on the top of the page :thumbsup:

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
That's not what FRPP said multiple times.

Just like any other tune or aftermarket modification, Ford does not instantly void your entire warranty on the spot. Your warranty remains and will cover any defective part that may happen that is not due to the original modification.

Will Ford most likely deny coverage if you blow your engine after the 3/36k warranty? Probably. But Ford will not automatically void your entire warranty after 3/36 expires.

FRPP again states that if installed by a dealership or ASE certified mechanic your warranty will work.
I'm curious as to why Ford would possibly deny coverage after 3/36 even though the powertrain warranty is still intact for 5/60. The way the FP warranty reads states that the components of the PP are covered for 3/36 and that it does not void the new vehicle manufacturer's warranty.

If that's the case, then the 5/60 powertrain remains intact so if I blow my motor at 40K, then they should still honor the factory powertrain warranty, no?

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
If that's the case, then the 5/60 powertrain remains intact so if I blow my motor at 40K, then they should still honor the factory powertrain warranty, no?
In theory, though they may try and blame the Power Pack and then you'd be in for the hassle of that fight. Not saying they'd deny you, but at that point it's the same as any Tune/CAI install after 3/36.

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In theory, though they may try and blame the Power Pack and then you'd be in for the hassle of that fight. Not saying they'd deny you, but at that point it's the same as any Tune/CAI install after 3/36.

Doubtful since it's not at all the same as any off the shelf tune/CAI. It's all Ford parts and a Ford tune warrantied by Ford themselves. It's pretty much standard issue now with the Bullitt as well.

Last edited:

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Doubtful since it's not at all the same as any off the shelf tune/CAI. It's all Ford parts and a Ford tune warrantied by Ford themselves. It's pretty much standard issue now with the 2018 PP2 as well.
Not a word of that is accurate. FP operates separately from Ford, which is why the warranty is registered through them. And, if you read the fine print of the Ford Warranty, the Ford Extended warranty and the FP warranty, they specifically call out FP parts. Like it or not, it's going to be a risk. I'm not saying one will definitely have issues, but you're going to be risking it one way or another.

Additionally, the Ford Power Pack 2 is not in any way related to the Performance Pack 2 on 2018 models. :doh:
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 1.25.34 PM.png

Sponsored

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
How are people holding up with their Power pack 2s? I just got it installed about 500 miles ago and very very satisfied with the power, but its been raining like crazy and my paranoid ass is worried about water getting in.

I am trying to figure a way to prevent any water entering the intake...suggestions?

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not a word of that is accurate. FP operates separately from Ford, which is why the warranty is registered through them. And, if you read the fine print of the Ford Warranty, the Ford Extended warranty and the FP warranty, they specifically call out FP parts. Like it or not, it's going to be a risk. I'm not saying one will definitely have issues, but you're going to be risking it one way or another.

Additionally, the Ford Power Pack 2 is not in any way related to the Performance Pack 2 on 2018 models. :doh:
I meant to say Bullitt, but it left my head wrong. Note the correction before your comment. The blurb about Ford Racing parts is specific to the non-warrantied parts that are sold as such.

"Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48025, provides a Limited Warranty on select Ford Performance Parts and mountune® Performance Parts as described herein when installed on late model Ford vehicles. This warranty works in conjunction with -- and does not void -- the Manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It is valid for the original retail purchaser of the vehicle and is transferable to subsequent vehicle owners."

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How are people holding up with their Power pack 2s? I just got it installed about 500 miles ago and very very satisfied with the power, but its been raining like crazy and my paranoid ass is worried about water getting in.

I am trying to figure a way to prevent any water entering the intake...suggestions?
7,000 miles on mine, I live in Orlando so I know rain. No issues.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I meant to say Bullitt, but it left my head wrong. Note the correction before your comment. The blurb about Ford Racing parts is specific to the non-warrantied parts that are sold as such.

"Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48025, provides a Limited Warranty on select Ford Performance Parts and mountune® Performance Parts as described herein when installed on late model Ford vehicles. This warranty works in conjunction with -- and does not void -- the Manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It is valid for the original retail purchaser of the vehicle and is transferable to subsequent vehicle owners."
Either way, Bullitt or not, it isn't the same as a FP/PP2.

I won't argue this any further, but call FP and ask; This has been covered a multitude of times and people always have rose colored glasses. The blurb above is the generic MM act disclaimer where it must be proved the part caused a failure.

The actual Warranty Language below:

Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and
components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline
and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for warranty
coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Can't be any clearer; They don't hide this. Like I said, you likely won't have issues, but there is absolutely no guarantee and both Ford and Ford Performance have covered themselves via contract language freely available for everyone to read.

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base

That make sense about the parts. In a nutshell, if the part isn't one of those on page 2 here https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2017v2.pdf then you can throw your factory warranty out the window. So basically, Power Pack 2 = OK for full 5/60, Cobra Jet intake = not a chance.

However, I do see what JefferyDJ is saying about the potential difficulty trying to get powertrain related coverage past 3/36 even though FP says you're good.
Sponsored