Sponsored

2020 GT500 TEASER

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I thought the '22MY was moving to the CD6 platform....the one that's about to underpin the next-gen Explorer and soon to be seen Lincoln Aviator?

Or perhaps it's CD6 mixed with S550? I mean, you don't throw away stuff that works.....
It was confirmed a while ago that it'll be using the D6R platform, which to me sounds like a variation of the CD6. You could be right in saying some of the underpinnings/modules could be utilised, but when Alpha has moved the goal posts I hope that isn't the case.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
DCT is just as engaging and enjoyable as a manual, even moreso on a track. I don't get people's obsession with manuals, partly due to the fact they haven't tried a DCT and partially due to peer pressure, I feel.
Please explain what about pulling on a paddle you find engaging.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
The instant response sounds engaging to me. Itā€™ll be thrilling drag king for sure. Iā€™m sure manuals are more ā€˜engagingā€™ though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Have you driven the latest generation of Porsche's PDK on a track? It's extremely satisfying.
Not according to the professional car reviewers. Have you seen the latest Motor Trend review? They had a PDK and a manual Porsche 911. They threw all their trash in the car with the PDK and drove the manual version most of the time. And in the instrumented tests the manual car was super close to the PDK version. The manual transmission car even beat the PDK model in their figure 8 test.

And yes, I have driven a Porsche GT3 on track and IMO the PDK sucked. Oh, it shifted super fast and all, but pulling on a paddle is lame IMO. I also drove a Ferrari F430 - same thing. Not fun.

I should say - yes it's fun driving a car with good power and grip on the track, but doing it while shifting a manual transmission is way more fun for me.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The GT500 is a PERFORMANCE machine.

Whatever it takes to get the most out of its considerable power should go into the machine. Period.

While I agree that the more options to suit everyone, the better, I do beleive performance is paramount with this car.

It needs the fastest shifting transmission, and the ability to put the power down.

Sounds like these are being met so far.

And if executed properly, it will do a lot more than we typically think a GT500 would do.

IT always bothered me that a GTR performed better than previous GT500s. And that came down to transmission and AWD. The 500 had the far superior engine, but couldnā€™t use it effectively.

The new one looks to address that issue. And if so, it could be the most satisfying American Pony/Sports/Muscle Car in history.

Of course I would have loved an ecoboost 8 instead of a supercharged one, but it sound like the new one is more than what is being said.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not according to the professional car reviewers. Have you seen the latest Motor Trend review? They had a PDK and a manual Porsche 911. They threw all their trash in the car with the PDK and drove the manual version most of the time. And in the instrumented tests the manual car was super close to the PDK version. The manual transmission car even beat the PDK model in their figure 8 test.

And yes, I have driven a Porsche GT3 on track and IMO the PDK sucked. Oh, it shifted super fast and all, but pulling on a paddle is lame IMO. I also drove a Ferrari F430 - same thing. Not fun.

I should say - yes it's fun driving a car with good power and grip on the track, but doing it while shifting a manual transmission is way more fun for me.
Agreed. I've also driven a PDK porsche, and while it was cool and all, it was just nowhere near as engaging as a manual version.

There aren't many things in the car world quite as satisfying as a perfectly executed heel-toe downshift. If i have to give up a couple tenths to be able to enjoy my drive more and feel more connected to the car, I'll gladly make that sacrifice. Thus why I went with the MT-82 on my 2018 rather than the 10R80 (which, btw, shifts faster than a Porsche PDK)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The GT500 is a PERFORMANCE machine.

Whatever it takes to get the most out of its considerable power should go into the machine. Period.

While I agree that the more options to suit everyone, the better, I do beleive performance is paramount with this car.

It needs the fastest shifting transmission, and the ability to put the power down.

Sounds like these are being met so far.
What have you heard about putting the power down?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There aren't many things in the car world quite as satisfying as a perfectly executed heel-toe downshift. If i have to give up a couple tenths to be able to enjoy my drive more and feel more connected to the car, I'll gladly make that sacrifice.
I tracked a '17 SS 1LE with the rev matching feature. Nothing more satisfying than being able to focus on other things at every brake zone instead of having to contort your lower limbs on a downshift. Instantly defeatable if you don't want it active, I wished my GT350 had it too.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What have you heard about putting the power down?
Every time I hear/read this, this is what I see...(strange mind I have :lol:):
ZaYKQDu.gif

[ame]

Lacquer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
If you are asking in earnest, You can drive a car on balance much more effectively and it is my opinion ultimately more satisfying to have more control of the balance of a car at every point on the track. You can play with subtle adjustments of the car and be in the proper gear, upshift or downshift, instead of working with what ever compromise gear you have to be in working through a turn. This is especially evident if you don't have a high HP car. Most high hp manual street cars usually only use two, maybe three gears on track so little shifting is actually done. This is why there doesn't seem to be as much difference with most magazine articles when comparing DCT to manual.
To me the argument is like driving with or without slicks is much the same. Many would argue driving on street tires is more fun than slicks because the car moves around more. Again IMO, Once you drive a car at the limit on slicks, it is near impossible to go back. This is the same I feel about DCT trannies. I understand the appeal of a manual and have had more than my share for street and track. For me, the more I drive DCTs/sequential on street or track, the less I ever want a stick again. That is my take.
Like I have mentioned before, I hope that Ford offers both. :thumbsup:

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
If you are asking in earnest, You can drive a car on balance much more effectively and it is my opinion ultimately more satisfying to have more control of the balance of a car at every point on the track. You can play with subtle adjustments of the car and be in the proper gear, upshift or downshift, instead of working with what ever compromise gear you have to be in working through a turn. This is especially evident if you don't have a high HP car. Most high hp manual street cars usually only use two, maybe three gears on track so little shifting is actually done. This is why there doesn't seem to be as much difference with most magazine articles when comparing DCT to manual.
To me the argument is like driving with or without slicks is much the same. Many would argue driving on street tires is more fun than slicks because the car moves around more. Again IMO, Once you drive a car at the limit on slicks, it is near impossible to go back. This is the same I feel about DCT trannies. I understand the appeal of a manual and have had more than my share for street and track. For me, the more I drive DCTs/sequential on street or track, the less I ever want a stick again. That is my take.
This makes a lot of sense.

GT, Eco - DD focused car with a kick to it
GT350 - Driver purist car. no driver specific aids other than the required stuff
GT500 - The spec machine, going for the numbers

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Great post and thanks for your thoughts. I agree it is more difficult to drive a manual transmission car. I think that challenge is what makes it more fun for me. :cheers:
Sponsored