Sponsored

Three Inch Exhaust Observations

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford mustang Ecoboost
I just had a 3 inch custom catback installed. I wish I had a picture of the
design, but a Magnaflow muffle replaces the factory resonator, then a y-pipe splits into two 2.25. pipes with custom tips. I like the deeper tone at idle. It's louder thru the rev range, but it's refined. Performance wise, if there was an increase in hp/tq, it's negligible. These will probably increase after a updated tune. However, the car revs so much faster, like it had a rear gear change! Last, the design of the exhaust system must have shed 40 lbs., considering the combined weight of resonator and the stock mufflers.
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
What does it sound like ? A Yamaha ?

OP
OP

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What does it sound like ? A Yamaha ?
Not at all. These cars are never going to sound like a V8, but my new exhaust kit has a pretty deep tone and no raspiness. Or crackles and pops during down shifts. Believe me, I was surprised at the results. I'm glad, because my with my 600 hp supercharged 2007 GT it took multiple attemt$ to get the sound I wanted.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I just had a 3 inch custom catback installed. Magnaflow muffle replaces the factory resonator, then a y-pipe splits into two 2.25. pipes with custom tips.
So you have a single muffler where the factory forward muffler used to be, with straight pipes aft. How does this mod affect exhaust sound on the highway? I use my car for commuting and long highway trips, so any droning would be a deal breaker for me.

Also, can you give us an idea of the cost? It would be helpful if you could tell what your shop charges hourly as well.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
design, but a Magnaflow muffle replaces the factory resonator, then a y-pipe splits into two 2.25. pipes with custom tips. I like the deeper tone at idle. It's louder thru the rev range, but it's refined. Performance wise, if there was an increase in hp/tq, it's negligible. These will probably increase after a updated tune. However, the car revs so much faster, like it had a rear gear change! Last, the design of the exhaust system must have shed 40 lbs., considering the combined weight of resonator and the stock mufflers.
Once you have opened the exhaust at the down pipe, and tuned it your only going to squeeze out so much, but you will by removing the factory resonator help the turbo breathe far better than with it and you will gain slightly better spooling, and a hair more power up top but you really need to re-tune after removing that exhaust restriction you should be able to squeeze out a little more.

I found on my big turbo setup the stock resonator ate up like 2-3 PSI boost on the MAP catless down pipe. Too much added back pressure when stock you can see that with the heat marks at the exit of the resonator and that's on a stock turbo. With the restrictive resonator it adds just too much back pressure and causes your exhaust gasses not to flow quickly or in enough volume on a 3" off road down pipe and it ruins scavenging as well. Its fine for the stock down pipe. There has to be a balance. Going from a 3" to a 3" and then y to 2.5" exits are about the right balance. (Too much exhaust slows it, you want it to push volume and be quick about it.) Hopefully the middle muffler is at least no smaller than 2.5" on its exit and 3" in the inlet. IT would be optimal to be 3" in/out.

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
Is it a custom install like what was installed in this link?
https://tinyurl.com/k5ljn7w

Sponsored
OP
OP

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry about the late response. I've Been away from the computer. Other than the two knuckle head ones in the thread, thanks for the responses. To answer the cost question, it was $500. To be more precise on the design, the muffler has a 3 in Y-pipe outlet which is reduced to 2.25. inches at the Y itself. Also, the Magnaflow muffler is large--it may be for a truck for all I know.. But it is a through muffler. Regarding any drone, it weirdly only occurs right at 2000 rpm and not above that while cruising. Under WOT it sounds great all through the rev range. While at idle and low rpm it has close to a Suburu boxer motor sound.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP