Sponsored

Some Observations, Testing, & Datalogs of Intake Temps + Questions

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I’ve been doing some datalogging examining the effects of an intercooler on charge temperatures during daily driving. Using my OBDLink MX and Torque Pro, I’ve datalogged several days of driving in Houston this summer.

Some things to note about the datalogs:
- The most relevant fields I’ve logged include:
o Ambient air temperature
o Intake temperature (post-filter), some call this IAT1
o Manifold charge temperature (post-intercooler)
o Vehicle speed
o Engine speed
o Boost/vacuum
o Learned octane ratio (some call this octane adjust ratio)
o Coolant temperature
o Air conditioner state (0 = off, 0.5 = on). I’ve determined that it’s triggered by simply having the A/C set to “on” and doesn’t actually track whether the compressor is running.
o Grille shutter position (1 = fully open, 0 = fully closed). From what I’ve seen, it almost seems as if the grille shutters have intermediate positions, but I’ll let someone more knowledgeable chime in as to whether this is true.
o Throttle position

I plan on continuing the datalogging, and will add some additional fields (Air/fuel, timing/advance, knock, and others).
- Performance-wise, my car was stock during this most of this period, however I made the following changes:
o 07/04/2017 - I added the Mishimoto intercooler/charge pipe combo
o 08/15/2017 - I removed the bottom section of the grille shutters covering the intercooler area.

- I’ve included a link to the full Excel workbook on Google Drive below, formatted to show some of these recorded parameters. In the Graph tab, you can select the date and the chart will show the relevant data. I recommend that you only select one date at a time. Please note, every field references the left Y-axis except for the grill shutter position, which references the right Y-axis. I’ve included some screenshots below of some interesting observations from the graph.

I recommend that you download the file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwgwArOLvSLcMzg2emQ0LXlXRVE

Observations:

I wanted to analyze the IAT and charge temp in everyday driving, specifically looking at the effects of adding the aftermarket intercooler and the effect of the grille shutters. Keep in mind, it’s quite difficult to observe these variables in a controlled manner since ambient temperatures, traffic, and driving style/speed (to some degree) all varied day-to-day. I have a decent sample size, so it’s possible to make some general observations. I don’t have an engineering/automotive background, so my findings below might be explained differently by someone with more expertise than me.

The stock intercooler, as many people have seen firsthand, suffers from heat soak easily. In the dates before I installed the aftermarket intercooler, even normal non-spirited driving saw the difference between the manifold charge temperature and the intake temperature increase steadily as I drove. I saw temperatures up to 40 degrees hotter than the ambient temperature, while IATs remained 10-20 degrees. The stock intercooler’s inefficiency also made itself known while stopped or at low speeds. Another thing I noticed was that even at highway speeds, when the grille shutters closed, this difference once again grew steadily. It’s difficult to say whether the effect was entirely from the shutters, or whether it is due to the fact that I was at mild boost speeding up to highway speed, but the example below from 06/29 shows all of these observations:

picture.png

At the beginning of the trip, you can see the shutters close as I speed up to ~60-65mph. Although I made mild boost reaching those speeds, I can’t help but attribute some of the temperature increase to the fact that the shutters were limiting airflow through the intercooler.

In this log from 07/05 after I installed the Mishimoto intercooler, the long period during which the shutters were closed at highway speeds seems to confirm my first observation about the impact of the shutters. Although the heat soak appears to have been decreased relative to the first graph, the biggest difference I noticed with the Mishimoto unit was that the manifold charge temps dropped much quicker once I began accelerating. Keep in mind, however, that it was hotter on this day, so it’s difficult to observe the effects of each variable in a controlled fashion.

picture.png

Here’s another graph from 07/16, during which I was on a road trip. There’s a lot of data, but you can see that the shutters were closed the majority of the time.

picture.png

I only have one datalog following my partial removal of the shutters, and I didn’t sustain highway speeds over a long period, but feel free to make your own observations. I’ll add more if anyone is interested.

picture.png

Questions:
- Has anyone had similar observations with shutter removal?
- On the topic of shutter removal, since I only removed the lower half of the unit, what are your thoughts on having the top piece still in place? Would the blockage of the top half still have any impact on the air flow to the intercooler? (possibly diverting air downward to the intercooler or creating resistance/turbulence for air flowing to the intercooler?)

- One thing I noticed was the fact that my intake temperatures were quite high at times to begin with. I’m thinking of modifying the GT grill to remove the honeycomb insert on the intake side and datalogging to see the effect. I’ve also thought about getting the Velossatech Big Mouth. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with intake temps affected by either of these ideas?
- I noticed that while coasting, even at highway speeds, my intercooler efficiency seemed to diminish. I assume that this is due to the lower volume of air passing through the intake system. Can anyone confirm this or shed some light on the topic?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Didn't you know that it is illegal to text while yer driving yer stang !

nice graphs though .

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
Questions:
- Has anyone had similar observations with shutter removal?
- On the topic of shutter removal, since I only removed the lower half of the unit, what are your thoughts on having the top piece still in place? Would the blockage of the top half still have any impact on the air flow to the intercooler? (possibly diverting air downward to the intercooler or creating resistance/turbulence for air flowing to the intercooler?)
The whole point of grill shutters is to reduce drag for a small increase fuel economy (like, less than 1mpg). I wouldn't be too worried about removing them.

- One thing I noticed was the fact that my intake temperatures were quite high at times to begin with. I’m thinking of modifying the GT grill to remove the honeycomb insert on the intake side and datalogging to see the effect. I’ve also thought about getting the Velossatech Big Mouth. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with intake temps affected by either of these ideas?[/quote]

These engines are horsepower certified at 25C supply air, about 77F, and post intercooler temperatures can get up to 45-50C range at redline (about 112-122F). I don't have the exact figures for the 2.3 Ecoboost but other engines show this trend based on certification documents. I posted this in another thread:

attachment.png

- I noticed that while coasting, even at highway speeds, my intercooler efficiency seemed to diminish. I assume that this is due to the lower volume of air passing through the intake system. Can anyone confirm this or shed some light on the topic?
engine is under vacuum, it's a different situation.
Boost_Manifold_temps1.png

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
The whole point of grill shutters is to reduce drag for a small increase fuel economy (like, less than 1mpg). I wouldn't be too worried about removing them.

- One thing I noticed was the fact that my intake temperatures were quite high at times to begin with. I’m thinking of modifying the GT grill to remove the honeycomb insert on the intake side and datalogging to see the effect. I’ve also thought about getting the Velossatech Big Mouth. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with intake temps affected by either of these ideas?

These engines are horsepower certified at 25C supply air, about 77F, and post intercooler temperatures can get up to 45-50C range at redline (about 112-122F). I don't have the exact figures for the 2.3 Ecoboost but other engines show this trend based on certification documents. I posted this in another thread.
engine is under vacuum, it's a different situation.
Thanks, I'll have a look through it. That data is a good reference of intercooler efficiency.

Didn't you know that it is illegal to text while yer driving yer stang !

nice graphs though .
Thanks. Torque is pretty hands-free, so all I do is set the logging to enable and then I don't have to mess with my phone until I park at my destination.

Last edited:

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Well, this makes me feel even better about removing the shutters completely after installing the intercooler...

To answer your question, any blockage on the front of the vehicle is going to cause a restriction, whether direct or indirect. Blocking the upper half of the radiator, but leaving the lower half open will cause the air to flow in a different pattern across the front of the car, potentially creating a high pressure point diverting air away from the lower half. Without having wind tunnel data (or the facilities to create this myself), I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly how much air is pulled away by closing the upper half. Judging by your graphs, it still reduces the airflow significantly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Well, this makes me feel even better about removing the shutters completely after installing the intercooler...

To answer your question, any blockage on the front of the vehicle is going to cause a restriction, whether direct or indirect. Blocking the upper half of the radiator, but leaving the lower half open will cause the air to flow in a different pattern across the front of the car, potentially creating a high pressure point diverting air away from the lower half. Without having wind tunnel data (or the facilities to create this myself), I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly how much air is pulled away by closing the upper half. Judging by your graphs, it still reduces the airflow significantly.
Interesting, this is what I was curious about too - whether the change in obstruction between the upper and lower grilles altered the pressure and ultimately the air that reached the intercooler.

I updated the document in the Google Drive link in my original post with two more days of datalogs. Look at the difference between 08/07 (before shutter removal) and 08/17-18 (after shutter removal). All of these days show my afternoon commute. Although it was hotter outside on the 17th and 18th, the difference between intake and manifold temps (red line in the graph) was actually smaller than before I removed the lower shutters. From this new data, it looks like there's actually a (somewhat marginal) improvement.

At this point, it seems as if the high intake temps (at the airbox) are the main source of hot air entering the engine. I think now my main focus is trying to find a solution to reduce these. I think I'll start off with modifying the grille or the "snorkel" that feeds the airbox.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Well, the biggest thing I notice here is that you are comparing different driving styles, different speeds, and different ambient temperatures. The graphs will help to notice large changes, but if you are changing anything else during these logs, all results will be thrown out the window. The best thing you could do to make relevant graphs is to find a nice 4-5 mile loop somewhere, start the recording at the exact same spot, and video record your driving style at the same time to make sure you drive the same way each time you take a datalog.

With that said, I do see that with the upgraded intercooler you appear to be getting better results with your differentials, but it would be better to see a graph of the actual IAT and IAT2 than the temperature differential. Turbos add a lot of heat due to compression, so lowering your IAT is not directly relative to lowering your IAT2 since other factors are at play, but it can help a slight bit. The amount of air flowing through the system plays a larger role than the temperature of the air prior to the turbo, which brings me to another point...

No intercooler will ever drop your IAT2 temps drastically while cruising or sitting idle because there is not enough air flowing through the system. If you watch your IAT, you will note that WOT from 0-70 will drop temps dramatically, then cruising at 70 will start to elevate temps once again due to the reduced airflow. That does not necessarily happen with your IAT2 though, as this air has been compressed, and depending on the efficiency of your intercooler the temps may be reduced or could possibly elevate during a WOT event.

Hopefully this makes sense, but I think you are on the right path here. It would have been nice to see identical graphs with the stock IC, aftermarket IC, then lower shutters removed to see exactly what was helping, but what you have provided does show that your aftermarket IC is working better than stock. Your thoughts on the VelossaTech and opening the grille are good, but probably will not provide the results you are looking for while cruising, as nothing can overcome physics.
Sponsored