Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
What ever this Mustang is or will be.
I'm hoping that it is based off of the Cobra Jet program.
A drag race themed Stang would be a nice change.
Offer a manual and Auto.
Boosted or N/A.
CPC version of the Voodoo with dual injection.
Sponsored

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
What ever this Mustang is or will be.
I'm hoping that it is based off of the Cobra Jet program.
A drag race themed Stang would be a nice change.
Offer a manual and Auto.
Boosted or N/A.
CPC version of the Voodoo with dual injection.
Sounds a little like the COPO Chevy announced yesterday.

buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Ford is screwing the pooch by not doing the same.
Look what the Hellcat and Demon has done for Mopar......
We do not need another "Track Car" at all.
gl

Exactly!

Enough with the track car stuff, the guys who wanted that have it now. Ford needs to get back to what the Mustang is and always has been and that is a muscle car in its premium grade. Give us meat eater Pony Car lovers the big balls that a car like this should have. Can't wait to get back to the real deal.
gl

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Why can't they make it the best of both worlds? Choose from either a drag pack, with 800+HP, unique suspension, and DR's and track pack, with CF aero goodies, great brakes DCT and 700HP.
Its doable, but we'll see if they do it.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford is screwing the pooch by not doing the same.
Look what the Hellcat and Demon has done for Mopar......
We do not need another "Track Car" at all.
I would disagree with this. I do think that the Hellcat and Demon are great cars and I agree with what you are saying about them helping Mopar.

However, Ford already did a big power GT500 for quite a few years. They were the first and other manufacturers came along and built "me too" cars. The ZL-1, Hellcat and to a lesser extent the Demon are just following along the example that Ford's GT500 led with.

I think saying that Ford is screwing the pooch by not making more of the same stuff they've already done for quite a few years seems off base to me. It's super easy for anyone to buy or build a Mustang that makes over 700 hp. I get that you want a RWD car with big power to be part of Ford's lineup again. I'm looking forward to seeing it as well. But Ford isn't "screwing the pooch".

Ford has only made a Halo Mustang built to do a great job on corners with IRS and a great NA motor for a couple years. The first model year was 2015 and the cars actually arrived late in the year. I was near the front of the line and I haven't even had my car for 2 years yet. Get what I'm saying?

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I would disagree with this. I do think that the Hellcat and Demon are great cars and I agree with what you are saying about them helping Mopar.

However, Ford already did a big power GT500 for quite a few years. They were the first and other manufacturers came along and built "me too" cars. The ZL-1, Hellcat and to a lesser extent the Demon are just following along the example that Ford's GT500 led with.

I think saying that Ford is screwing the pooch by not making more of the same stuff they've already done for quite a few years seems off base to me. It's super easy for anyone to buy or build a Mustang that makes over 700 hp. I get that you want a RWD car with big power to be part of Ford's lineup again. I'm looking forward to seeing it as well. But Ford isn't "screwing the pooch".

Ford has only made a Halo Mustang built to do a great job on corners with IRS and a great NA motor for a couple years. The first model year was 2015 and the cars actually arrived late in the year. I was near the front of the line and I haven't even had my car for 2 years yet. Get what I'm saying?
The last gen GT500 was touted as a Track Car until it proved to have lousy brakes.
Most media outlets including Ford hyped it as being a Track Car.
It has not been since the very early '70's that a Stang has been sold as a Strip Car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Making the GT500 a strip-focused car would be utterly foolish, especially with the capability of the ZL1 to do both. The Hellcat is a one-trick pony, the Demon more-so. Ford isn't interested in playing in that space. They sell the Cobra Jet for that. The Charger and Challenger are both ancient platforms and FCA is milking them till they die, and have done a great job of that. They know that they aren't good enough at anything else besides Trucks, SUVs and muscle cars to rely on them, which is why doing something like the Demon fits.

Helicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' gt350
Making the GT500 a strip-focused car would be utterly foolish, especially with the capability of the ZL1 to do both. The Hellcat is a one-trick pony, the Demon more-so. Ford isn't interested in playing in that space. They sell the Cobra Jet for that. The Charger and Challenger are both ancient platforms and FCA is milking them till they die, and have done a great job of that. They know that they aren't good enough at anything else besides Trucks, SUVs and muscle cars to rely on them, which is why doing something like the Demon fits.

I couldn't agree more that a one trick pony GT500 drag car would be pointless and unnecessary .... and NOT what I am wanting to purchase. If that is the case, I will pull my deposit and move on. Now if we could just get some concrete and reliable info .... *hint* *hint* Bmac.... :)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I dont think a drag car would be very fun to drive myself, except on the drag strip. This car, on the street, should be able to hold its own. I know if i was driving a demon and pulled up on a car like the 350R with 225 more HP, I wouldn't be thinking i had it in the bag, that's for sure

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The Cobra Jet cannot be driven on the street.
Mustang sales are in the toilet and will remain there. Not much of a interest with the 2018.
Track Car sales of the Mustang are dismal at best.
Ford needs to try something different. There is a huge fan base with Drag Racing and the Mustang.
As for the Challenger being ancient? This is true. But on that same note, the Challenger is out doing the Stang in sales from time to time. This says alot about the fan base of the Stang and Track Cars in general.
Ford is being out done by a much heavier and older platform.
We need a streetable version of the Cobra Jet program.
May it come with a manual and a auto. N/A and Boosted as well.
Ford needs a Home Run. Ford needs a Drag Racing themed Stang.:ford:

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Sounds like an awesome idea!!
Like the ‘68 1/2 428 Cobra Jet street cars.
However,’ with the mindset, focus and goals of Ford’s new leadership team, I seriously doubt such a car would ever be considered.
Sad...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Cobra Jet cannot be driven on the street.
Mustang sales are in the toilet and will remain there. Not much of a interest with the 2018.
Track Car sales of the Mustang are dismal at best.
Ford needs to try something different. There is a huge fan base with Drag Racing and the Mustang.
As for the Challenger being ancient? This is true. But on that same note, the Challenger is out doing the Stang in sales from time to time. This says alot about the fan base of the Stang and Track Cars in general.
Ford is being out done by a much heavier and older platform.
You are a small minority.

Sales in the toilet, huh? The best YTD sales in the segment for 3 years is "toilet". Got it.:shrug::crazy:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
In a way I'm looking forward to electric vehicles, AWD jaw breaking 0-60 on the street. Just gotta use a card between the spokes, or a full fledged mechanical noise maker, just to satisfy all the senses. Maybe a self feeding roll of licorice that dispenses 1 foot/minute. There we go...ALL the senses are satisfied.

If BmacIl says there isn't going to be a drag only car, I'll believe that. I'll be happy with 225 more HP than my R has. I can see why someone would want a strip/street car, but it aint gonna happen. You can always get this GT500 and mod it for the strip, like many have done in the past. I think it would be fairly easy to tack on an additional 100HP, do some suspension mods, and throw on DR's.

I think its about time ford throws an auto into the mix. Thats what I'm looking forward to... sure, I like to shift, but I currently have no cars that are auto and I'd like to be able to just mash the gas and hold on from time to time.

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
I thought I had read somewhere that Ford may be toying with the idea of a possible hybrid option for the Mustang with the front wheels being motivated by electric motors while still being primarily powered by a conventional big HP engine with power going to the rear wheels...I may be wrong or just wishfully thinking out loud?

I searched, I found, I'm happy!
Sponsored

Last edited: