Sponsored

How much more is 18 worth?

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Until the 18's hp numbers are revealed, no one can really say if it's worth the extra $$ or not.
Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to actually enjoy my 15' and pay it off. When the S650 comes out we will see if it is worth it.

I'd guess I will have 30-40k on the car by then, so it will be a decent trade value.

14' to 17' is a big upgrade..you will like the 17'

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
Ok expert . 455 is what the damn thing will be and with the new compression will not be boost friendly like current 5.0 . Keep in thinking the 18 is going to be some kind of super mustang it won't lol
How I picture you right now..
raw.gif

Sounds like someone is bitter about the new engine coming out. All I said was that it won't make near the horsepower and torque of the new Coyote with just a tune. You can claim whatever power number you want to imagine in your head but until Ford speaks none of us know. That includes you. What we can do is make reasonable assumptions based on what we do know. 455 isn't a realistic guess in my book but people are trying to use that picture as evidence. Regardless of how much power it makes, the new Coyote will make significantly more torque that definitely won't be matched with just a tune. Also, making safe power with boost isn't just about compression ratio. You can make boat loads of power with a high compression boosted motor if the components are strong and the tuning is good. Can't wait to talk again after the numbers come out. ;)

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
How I picture you right now..

Sounds like someone is bitter about the new engine coming out. All I said was that it won't make near the horsepower and torque of the new Coyote with just a tune. You can claim whatever power number you want to imagine in your head but until Ford speaks none of us know. That includes you. What we can do is make reasonable assumptions based on what we do know. 455 isn't a realistic guess in my book but people are trying to use that picture as evidence. Regardless of how much power it makes, the new Coyote will make significantly more torque that definitely won't be matched with just a tune. Also, making safe power with boost isn't just about compression ratio. You can make boat loads of power with a high compression boosted motor if the components are strong and the tuning is good. Can't wait to talk again after the numbers come out. ;)
You don't want higher compression for boosted applications. Just ask Camaro owners how those gains are working out for them. My old car was 12.5:1 with DI and PI. You can't run higher than 8-10 PSI without considering E85. Even then, your chances are higher of your engine going boom.

PI/DI is great for N/A. That's about it. At the end of the day you can mod these things to beat any model. Pick one you like the looks of and options with and go with it.

Sekhon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet SS
You don't want higher compression for boosted applications. Just ask Camaro owners how those gains are working out for them. My old car was 12.5:1 with DI and PI. You can't run higher than 8-10 PSI without considering E85. Even then, your chances are higher of your engine going boom.

PI/DI is great for N/A. That's about it. At the end of the day you can mod these things to beat any model. Pick one you like the looks of and options with and go with it.
Whats the reason behind engine failure for DI+PI engines? I heard they are having "forged internals" for the '18 model :shrug:

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Whats the reason behind engine failure for DI+PI engines? I heard they are having "forged internals" for the '18 model :shrug:
Changing the cylinder lining is not forged internals. The internals on the 5.0 are already pretty strong. Just look at the boosted applications already.

OP
OP

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
I'd be more worried about the $20k for your car with only 5,800 miles. You should definitely be able to get more. You might want to sell it privately. If I was in your shoes I'd wait until specs are announced for the 18 and go from there.
I understand you get killed on trades, but add $1400 for tax difference, so I'd have to get $22Kish private to even start to be worth it.

Some (right in this thread) have claimed they are getting loaded 15 for under 30.

"I got the car in my sig with 7500 miles originally stickered at 44 k for 29,500 a couple months ago.

So what is a base 15 with real low miles going for $26? That means a base 14 might bring $24? I've looked at dealer prices for my 14, not that great. Figure private party will be less than these.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST

So everybody that in 2014 was complaining the 15s were ugly is now hating on the 2018s. Gets old. The 18 is the design the 15 should have been, really got the front end right. What an improvement. I'd be all over the 18 if I were in the market.
I still like the 14 looks way better, but lets not go crazy, neither is a 69 Mach I.

ce275669dba34b88d55ba12ab7adc508.jpg

I don't like any of the new cars with the triangleish front ends. You could not give me any new toyota.

I have been going back and forth on this same topic.
Conclusion: Reached

2017 Positives:
1. 2017's will be discounted this summer so you wil get a great deal on one.
2. Having left over money for targeted mods will bring you to 2018 HP levels.
3. The 2015-2017 S550's look way better than the 2018 model

2018 Negatives:
4. 2018 - new engine, new transmission - there are going to be issues. No Thanks !
5. 2018 model will cost you a pretty penny too.
6. 2018 Front Fasia - Ugly as hell. If it has to grow on you then its not sexy !

Just my take. :thumbsup:
Pretty much in agreement. I think if I wait until 18 goes on sale, my 14 drops 1-2 grand on trade. That would be my only reason not to wait for 18 specs.

I'm more worried about what is going to fit under that new low hood for FI (seeing the side by side reveals how dramatic it is). Someone will make something fit, but how many more thousands is it going to be if you have to move/replace major components on the 18.

Enjoy the discussion. I am going to do whatever I want,
but nice to hear others thoughts anyway..................

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Another thing to think about. How much is it worth to you to enjoy a new car now or have to wait until fall?

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Stay with your 14, and then get the new 2020 and you will lose a lot less depreciation. Save the money and pay for it cash in 2020.

I was going to go for 18, but I want to buy the new platform and body and not the current.

OP
OP

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stay with your 14, and then get the new 2020 and you will lose a lot less depreciation. Save the money and pay for it cash in 2020.

I was going to go for 18, but I want to buy the new platform and body and not the current.
I always pay cash, so that is not an issue.

Just curious, what about the 20 do you think will be that much better than the 18? Big weight drop would be a huge draw for me. My 14 with back seat delete kit and no spare (also removed engine cover, mats, WW fluid and any other super easy item to get quick) out came in @ 3508 on Atco's scales (1/4 tank of gas). I know the 17 will not be that (and PSeats are std I think on 17's), especially since most already come without the spare.

Would love to see high 33, low 34 hundreds in a base auto GT in 20.

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Another thing to think about. How much is it worth to you to enjoy a new car now or have to wait until fall?
On the flip side, wishing you waited for the newer model in the fall?

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Hell yea the '18 is worth it to me. It's only money you'll make more later.
Dont tell that to the millions in 2008-2010 who have since lost their houses they blindly spent/borrowed money on. :shrug: Buying to buy and (hopefully) replace your money later is a poor living strategy especially coming from a 14 GT already.

If it was a 2005 Mustang, that'd be a bit different. OP's car is all of 3-3.5 years old right now; not exactly old.

It is one of those if you have to ask and/or are overly concerned with a 1 or 2k price difference, you should be buying it to begin with.

OP
OP

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dont tell that to the millions in 2008-2010 who have since lost their houses they blindly spent/borrowed money on. :shrug: Buying to buy and (hopefully) replace your money later is a poor living strategy especially coming from a 14 GT already.

If it was a 2005 Mustang, that'd be a bit different. OP's car is all of 3-3.5 years old right now; not exactly old.

It is one of those if you have to ask and/or are overly concerned with a 1 or 2k price difference, you should be buying it to begin with.

Really depends upon your situation, but I think you should
always be questioning way less than 1 or 2 grand decisions
(to yourself) every day.

I'd usually totally agree with you (still have my 86 Capri, bought
new) if there wasn't such a huge difference between the way
they drive. I did not drive a 15 before I bought my 14.

Anyway, this is all for conversation. An extra 9 grand
for a new car is not going to change my life much (financially).
It is also highly unlikely I would get an 18 anytime soon, very
rare I don't hold out for the deal.

Detector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
By the sales figures I'd say to think the 15-17 didn't have it right yet and the 18 does is not proving to be the case. Although, we have no idea what the 2018 sales figures will be, but My guess is nowhere near the 15-17's.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
An extra 9 grand for a new car is not going to change my life much (financially).
That would be the key right there. The question is why get rid of a 3-3.5ish year old car already.

The big change/S650 is coming very soon; by the time the 18s hit dealerships only about 1.5 years.

Personally I would wait to see what 2020 brings if I had a 2014. Itll only be 6 years old then still. Unless you have another $9-10 grand to blow 2 years from now; $20k in the hole.
Sponsored