Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
Nice, did you take any pics of what you did and what you tied the LEDs into?
Uploading some pics I took now and will explain how, a tedious job for sure but looks awesome just how I expected!
Sponsored

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
Okay well here are the LED's, connectors, and film that I got from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GL5R56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1MFRY0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A9PMGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remove the back part of the unit, I believe its only a total of 6 screws or so. Once removed unscrew the lower circuit board which is for your Hazard, Traction control, etc. buttons. On the backside of that circuit board you'll see the small LED's below each black colored button. Cut your LED strip as long as you need, I cut mine longer and just trimmed off as much as I could afterwards.

The most important part when sticking the strip onto the board is to make sure each LED is directly on top of the green LED you are covering up. This picture doesn't show it that way because I didnt know that at first and then opened the unit back up during the install and corrected it on the fly and didn't take more pictures. oops. Pretty much youll have to bunch up one LED in between each light on the board because they are spaced differently. Once you get them all taped down in the proper spots, then you can do like I did and cut your transparent red film in to a small sqaure shape.

Excuse my crappy taping job, I used scotch tape and it stuck on quite well. I put the film on the backside of the Hazard button so it would light up RED.

Once you are done with the film, re-assemble the buttons and circuit board in reverse order.

I then moved onto the buttons on the top left of the unit. There are 2 screws holding that smaller board down, remove the screws and flip the board over, located the 2 smaller LEDs on that board and cut your LED strip as needed, remember the longer the better. Place the LED's on the strip directly over each LED just like before. Place the board back on top of the buttons and attach your No-solder connectors onto the strip.

Once all the connectors are attached, i routed both sets of wires out toward the bottom of the unit, cutting a small slit in the back plastic so the wires wouldn't get crimped when re-assembling everything.

Connect both reds together and then both blacks together.

Locate fuse #23 in the passenger side footwell fuse box, pull out the 10AMP fuse and wrap some wire around one of the prongs and push the fuse back in. Run that wire up in behind the radio. This will be the wire that connects to your RED wires for your LED's.

Below where your CD player unit was, lift up the foam insulation and youll see 2 bolts attaching to a metal bracket, remove one of those nuts and scrape the metal a bit, wrap another wire around that bolt and re-tighten the nut. This is your ground wire and will attach to the BLACK wires for your LED's.

As you can see, i removed the brackets from the OEM cd player and re-attached them to the brain for this unit. I was weary about just laying it in there and having some rattle noise down the road.

The rest of the install is pretty simple and mostly plug and play, biggest thing is to just take your time and tape all connections.

I'm not the best at writing these things but hope this helps some of you out!
:headbang::cheers:

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Last edited:

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
Awesome write up, seems fairly simple. I covered up the stock boards LEDs with black electrical tape, or else light would have bled through on my Moddiction unit. I'll probably do the same with this. I'll have to see if they have cool blue LED strips.
Ahh okay yea I had that same thought about covering them up with black tape as well but this was already after i put everything back together, I don't see any green bleeding thru at all tho but it cant hurt!

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Let's the fun begin! It seems that there's also a Yellow Mustang and not only Orange!

Found the "Japaness" from [MENTION=21083]PatrickHenninger[/MENTION] video lol.

Also found the UK flag and I will check to replace it with US Flag.

Last edited:

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I want to share a tip to all of those with upcoming installations. As you may know, when pulling the dash trim off clips may break and fall into your dash. While I had my dash pieces off, I put a strip of black electrical tape over the clips so that if I ever had to pull the dash pieces off again, they wouldn't break and fall into my dash. The tape also makes it slightly easier to pull the dash pieces off later.

I also added additional padding to reduce rattles. I used an assortment of 1/4" and 1/2" door insulation foam strips that you can get at almost any store.

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Expected delivery ?
I just talked to him, they will ship Wednesday, and 3-5 days transit from there, so they should start showing up next Monday. Everyone who provided a cell number will get a text from DHL next week.

So the fixes you guys are working on how do you get the updates��
They will be hosted on the website, and applying them will be as easy as putting them on a USB drive, plugging it into the unit and installing with a few clicks. We'll do walkthroughs for them.

Let's the fun begin! It seems that there's also a Yellow Mustang and not only Orange!

Found the "Japaness" from [MENTION=21083]PatrickHenninger[/MENTION] video lol.

Also found the UK flag and I will check to replace it with US Flag.

I have a few PNG files I'd like to replace those orange mustangs with. Also, there's another car shown if you turn off the Orange Mustang and speedo overlay.

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
Any recommendations for a good NAV app besides google maps? I tried I download WAZE but said wasn't compatible and wouldn't let me

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mapfactor, Sygic, TomTom, NavMii... It's a shame Waze doesn't work, because you can use Morgan Freeman's voice in Waze.

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
because you can use Morgan Freeman's voice in Waze.

Hahaha! That would be Badass!:D

Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I purchased the harness and dongles from Jesse(OEM Radio) to wipe the ACM so I could gut this horrible Sony system in my car. I wonder if i could just flash the ACM now, and just use the RCA's from our Tesla style head unit?

Last edited:

wortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 16
Mapfactor, Sygic, TomTom, NavMii... It's a shame Waze doesn't work, because you can use Morgan Freeman's voice in Waze.
Really?:doh: I hope once we get the OS upgraded on the unit Waze would work. I was really looking forward to using Waze on it.
rubyredrocket_ on instagram has his unit running waze but his is I5-Tech unit from autohaus.

OP
OP
PatrickHenninger

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really?:doh: I hope once we get the OS upgraded on the unit Waze would work. I was really looking forward to using Waze on it.
rubyredrocket_ on instagram has his unit running waze but his is I5-Tech unit from autohaus.
I5 won't give me the software without providing an order number, or a name associated with it. I'll hit up rubyredrocket_ and see what I can do.
Sponsored