Sponsored

2018 Mustang Refresh (Prototype) First Look!

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
Anyone else think it looks more like the 2014 style? It looks a lot less sleeker I think. Looks totally different then the side profile of a 2015, looks like a 2014 profile to me.
Yes to me it looks shorter and from the side it looks nothing like a 15 Mustang i like it

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The chassis will be pretty much the same, the camo on the front and back adds a bit of volume to them.

But you can clearly see the new tribars in the pictures, which are much more leaned towards a horizontal line
comparison.jpg

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Hopefully larger and more distinct. The one thing missing from the Mustang is a visible ID that it's a Mustang coming up on you. A few cars like the new Maxima, Audis, etc all have a visual ID with their front lights/look that you can see what's approaching you.
I think the tribar DRL's are as signature Mustang as it gets. Love them.

I just hope they manage to redesign them in such a way that they can be fitted to export cars as well, as they are sorely missed over here.

And red tail lights for crying out loud. Those nasty clear ones are a disgrace.

I seriously doubt the V6 will be dropped, but I will not be surprised if the 2.7 replaces the 2.3.
I would be highly suprised.

Last edited:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I think the tribar DRL's are as signature Mustang as it gets. Love them.

I just hope they manage to redesign them in such a way that they can be fitted to export cars as well, as they are sorely missed over here.

And red tail lights for crying out loud. Those nasty clear ones are a disgrace.
That's why I installed the Diode Dynamics Tribars, it's a shame who DRL we get in the export Mustang :paddle:
But actually I love the clear taillights on mine, but of course it doesn't fit every color

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

And red tail lights for crying out loud
This....this.....THIS!

I hope you're listening, Ford ;)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
This....this.....THIS!

I hope you're listening, Ford ;)
Since the tribars in the pics look kind of in the same spot as the old ones, I really doubt they will be fulfill the EU laws that prohibited the tribar DRL :(

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Ace,

Thanks for the super imposed image.

I'm distressed that both the front and rear overhangs appear to longer than the '15-'17 cars...especially the front.
This test mule does not appear to have much, if any body cladding to help disguise the "length" of it's true styling refresh.
The Mustang does not need to be a bigger or longer vehicle any any dimension.
I understand that vehicles need to express design language that projects a cohesive corporate face and a brand identity, but IMHO, the front end just looks way too long. However, long snouts seem to be an industry trend.
I was truly hoping for a shorter, more compact front end restyle.

The high front stance probably indicates testing and evaluation of new/revised springs/shocks.
I cannot imagine that what we are seeing is anywhere near a final production front ride height.

I suspect this mule is a base or mid-level car and not a GT.

Last edited:

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
You don't realize how big the Mustang is until you see it nose to nose with other cars. I am considering a 428i and just happened to pull up at the gym and see one parked out where I usually park. So I pulled in where I could get a couple photos. The Mustang is a really big car. It dwarfs my friends C class Mercedes and as you can see, the hood height is much higher than the BMW, Mercedes, or even the Camaro that was parked next to me tonight. Styling-wise, it's unusual for a car this big to still look low and sleek. Aston does it with the DB9 but even that car has a lower hood and grill.
The back end of that pic is definitely stretched/distorted. Look at the rear wheel compared to the front wheel - it's larger and not round. Plus the curb indicates that the camera was closer to the stang then the bimmer.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Finally, we're getting closer!!!!

Lots of keen observations have been made here...but I'll just add to the sentiment of "they'd better not eff this up" since the S550 is already a really great composition!

Ford has been damn smart lately. I have confidence that they won't let us down.

The "lower hood" comments are interesting. I guess I can see that in the pics but it's not super obvious to me. The current hood seemed totally fine to me and I really liked he hood spears/ridges...but I can imagine how a slimmer front profile might freshen up the look Past redesigns (2010) have been targeted at visually making the car appear lighter and more svelte. That could be happening here as well...I'll withhold my opinion until we actually see it.

The new tail end treatment makes me really nervous. This is one area where I don't think they'll be able to improve on the 2015.

Sponsored

Satan

Overlord.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13' Boss.
They need to do something for sure. With the 1LE damn near out performing the 350R and Chevy still has the ZL1 and Z28 to come, we are going to look like fools. A packaged SS Camaro is keeping up with a dedicated track inspired model.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
That picture seems pretty legit and remember seeing it when you first posted it a couple months ago. In this picture it just looks too "mild" to me. A little too much into the Fusion direction, I think mainly because of the softer lines and fusion-style headlight projector. If this is truly what the 2018s will look like then I'm glad I didn't wait and pulled the trigger on a leftover 2016 this summer. I think it's gotta look more aggressive though since this mule seems to have black headlight housings and a round headlight projector, not the one in this rendering.

Birddogjr350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
james
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150 FX4
That picture seems pretty legit and remember seeing it when you first posted it a couple months ago. In this picture it just looks too "mild" to me. A little too much into the Fusion direction, I think mainly because of the softer lines and fusion-style headlight projector. If this is truly what the 2018s will look like then I'm glad I didn't wait and pulled the trigger on a leftover 2016 this summer. I think it's gotta look more aggressive though since this mule seems to have black headlight housings and a round headlight projector, not the one in this rendering.
Yeah if this is what the refresh looks like ill have to pass way to sedan like for my taste. looks like a ford fusion nose stuck on the current mustang!!!

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Exactly my thoughts. The bulge from the inside looking down the hood was something that most people complimented the first time I took them for a ride. The complaint about not being able to see those stupid turn signal indicators is almost as ridiculous as putting them on their in the first place. Not sure why people inside of the car needed to see the turn signals. I just hope the refreshed hood isn't as plain as the GT350 hood.
I love my turn signals, and yes i can only see the LHS,
I had a lorry driver comment on them at a set of lights saying how cool they looked.
They were just a retro look.
I like the retro bits on the Mustang
As for the buldge, on my S197 i had a massive bulge on the hood and this one is much lower, and i'm only 5.6 :headbang:
The Mustang must never lose its identity its not a Audi, a BMW, its a MUSTANG and should always scream that
The S550 is a lot less a musclecar than the S197 and it shows, this is more tech sports car. I want people to know its a Stang.
Thats why I went for the CS look,
Sponsored