How to fix the passenger mirror

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
I picked my new car up on Thursday and drove it over 200 miles back to my house where I am starting to stockpile all sorts of goodies to modify it with.

One thing I hadn't reckoned on was how useless the passenger door mirror is. It won't move in enough to give a clear view of following traffic and you can't see the side of the car! Considering one of the RHD specific items is larger side mirrors I am amazed that no one on the development team checked that they worked before signing the car off.

I bought my third Mustang because they are so easy to modify, I just hadn't reckoned on starting with the mirror. The good news is that it is a pretty simple fix.

You will need a Torx T15 driver to remove the bolts that secure mirror motor, some small washers and a flat blade screwdriver. For safety I recommend putting something soft like a blanket down on the floor under the mirror, just in case you drop the glass.

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 21.40.39.jpg

Actually freeing the mirror is a bit of a phaff but patience will get you there in the end. I recommend keeping the mirror attached to the power cables, they are either soldered or bonded in place.

IMG_5894.jpg

Now you need some washers. a bit of trial and error showed that 4mm of spacing was a good compromise and left enough thread
on the Torx bolts for them to pull up tight.

IMG_5899.jpg

You need two sets of washers, one to fit behind the top and one behind the bottom motor mounts on the left side only. No spacers on the right hand bolt. This tilts the motor and mirror mounting plate so that the mirror can turn further in relative to the car body.

IMG_5900.jpg

You need to remove the two left hand Torx bolts and loosen the top right. The washers fit here, top and bottom:

Spacers.jpg

Now tighten everything up and spend some time carefully re-fitting the mirror by push fitting it on to circular disc on the face of the motor. Be careful to check that it is pushed fully home all round.

That's it. This is how far the mirror would move round before the mod:

IMG_5893.jpg

And this how far it moves now:

IMG_5905.jpg

And finally, the view from the driver's seat at maximum deflection:

IMG_5902.jpg

40 minutes well spent! :ford:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
Ooops, looks like I need a lesson on embedding photos, please can someone point me in the right direction?

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ooops, looks like I need a lesson on embedding photos, please can someone point me in the right direction?
Under "additional options" click "manage attachments" and then choose the file from your computer and upload.

OP
OP

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
Thanks NornIron91, all fixed and I'll know next time!
Andrew

Sponsored

sut72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT, black wheels, Airaid Intake.
Will be interested to see the photos.

I know what you mean about the mirror. I think I sit close to the wheel for my size and have slowly moved back to gain a better view with the near side mirror.

Sort of got used to it now.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
This must only affect some cars? Mine's absolutely fine
Smaller people have the issue iirc. Because of mirror positioning they cant actually see out of it... me and you being 6 footers are fine graham!

OP
OP

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
Well I am 5'10" so I am certainly not at the back of the seat runner. It was even worse for my wife at 5'4" who reckoned all she could see was the embankment at the side of the motorway. You 6' ers must be right, my bathroom scales tell me I'm under tall.

I started this thread because I saw some other forum members had a similar problem on their cars.

I think I fixed the photos, they certainly show when I open the forum on my computer. Please can someone confirm whether or not they can see them as well?

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Im just under 5'11" and my mirror is fine. Wife doesn't drive the car.
It's more about the seating position. I sit quite far forward, so the mirror is fine but the seat bolster takes a pounding.
Still can't see the pics ;)

SSC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well I am 5'10" so I am certainly not at the back of the seat runner. It was even worse for my wife at 5'4" who reckoned all she could see was the embankment at the side of the motorway. You 6' ers must be right, my bathroom scales tell me I'm under tall.

I started this thread because I saw some other forum members had a similar problem on their cars.

I think I fixed the photos, they certainly show when I open the forum on my computer. Please can someone confirm whether or not they can see them as well?
Images still not showing for me.

sut72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT, black wheels, Airaid Intake.

DaBigGinger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT & GT86
I'm 5'11 and can't use the mirror properly without moving my head. I can't see the pictures either, though!

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Can't see pictures either. I'm 6 foot tall but still can't get the mirror in enough to to be that much use!
Sponsored