Sponsored

How to lock the gas cap?

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
Its stupid that Ford has no lock..my F150 is the same way!

Ever have some angry ex girlfriend pour sugar into your gas tank ?
Its a bitch !
If you're worried about someone who has access to your johnson messing with your gas, you've got bigger worries.

Sleep with one eye open there, pal.
Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ford makes a LOCKING gas plug that fits into the gas fill opening, and seals off the opening, $20.00 at the Ford Dealer,I sleep with both eyes closed knowing my gas tank is sealed and locked,it also keeps dirt and water from entering the fuel fill.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
The best locking gas cap for this car is a garage, at least when home.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
While Ford Accessories offers a locking gas cap for many of the 15/16 models it does not fit the Mustang nor can it be modified to fit. I tried. We have to wait for an aftermarket solution.

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Why are people so worried about a locking gas cap on this forum? If you live in place where this could be a problem you shouldn't be driving this car and if someone hates you so much to try and do something you're probably an asshole.

Anyway, the design of the gas port makes it hard to add anything to the gas and the way fuel systems are designed would make it hard for anything to hurt the engine.

Mythbusters had an episode with sugar, bleach and drain cleaner and the engine was fine except for the bleach which they only labeled as plausible. Water would be bad but I would imagine they would need to use a lot.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Why are people so worried about a locking gas cap on this forum? If you live in place where this could be a problem you shouldn't be driving this car and if someone hates you so much to try and do something you're probably an asshole.
I can't dissagree with you more

My Supra got Keyed twice at the old apartment where I lived in Heidelberg, I barely ever met any of my neighbors in the 3 years i l;ived there let alone be an asshole.

Another friend of mine had his Audi S6 keyed and nails put under all 4 tires while on a bushiness trip, Not only is he one of the nicest people I know, but he had never even been to that city before.

Petty jealousy from people who will never put in enough effort to own a car like this will always exist.

stevelp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GT PP
I can't dissagree with you more

My Supra got Keyed twice at the old apartment where I lived in Heidelberg, I barely ever met any of my neighbors in the 3 years i l;ived there let alone be an asshole.

Another friend of mine had his Audi S6 keyed and nails put under all 4 tires while on a bushiness trip, Not only is he one of the nicest people I know, but he had never even been to that city before.

Petty jealousy from people who will never put in enough effort to own a car like this will always exist.
People are A-holes, when I was living in New Hampshire, I brought my Mercedes up there from TX for spring time and it got keyed a few times, guess the Tx tags made it a target. But the fuel cap locked.

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Its stupid that Ford has no lock..my F150 is the same way!

Ever have some angry ex girlfriend pour sugar into your gas tank ?
Its a bitch !
I'd say she was a bitch.....:lol:

BrazukaV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt PP

Anyway, the design of the gas port makes it hard to add anything to the gas and the way fuel systems are designed would make it hard for anything to hurt the engine.

Mythbusters had an episode with sugar, bleach and drain cleaner and the engine was fine except for the bleach which they only labeled as plausible. Water would be bad but I would imagine they would need to use a lot.
You must live in paradise. Try living in LA. We can't have nice things. Jealous and haters everywhere. My first car a geo prizm 1997 had a locking door. But my 40k mustang doesn't. My Audi A5 locked when I locked my car. It's a piece of mind that I believe should come with the car. I've found my fuel door open twice and now I guess the spring that makes it close broke off. Damn fuel door it's loose. And I haven't found any info on how to replace it.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
The thing is keying a car takes a half second and is virtually unnoticeable as it's being done. Adding something to a fuel tank requires time and resources, like a filling funnel, to accomplish. As stated before very little can harm modern engines, the sugar-in-the-tank thing is an urban myth and has been disproven now for decades. Petty vandals are opportunists, they hit and run quickly. I don't think gas tank worries should be high on the list.

Sponsored

Sda3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Green Performance Pack GT Premium
Try dumping some gas down the tank without the extra funnel in your trunk. You will see what happens if someone tries to dump something in your tank. The cap less system will drain it, it won't go into the tank unless you have the funnel or an actual gas pump to open the inner door of the fill pipe.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Gonna have to disagree as well. Some people are just little bitches. I had some spray paint overspray settle on my car (polish and a carnauba wax took it off luckily) and I'm pointing the finger at the glaring passive aggressive weird fuck neighbors. No idea why they are the way they are, we've had few interactions with them and have been polite and cordial during what little was said. But they see a 2016 Mustang and a 2015 Challenger in the driveway and one of us out there washing/detailing them or sitting in it to warm up and drive off, and out come the stares and glares. No idea what their issue is, but if we did something to piss them off unwittingly then it sure would be great if they could be decent reasonable people and just call us out on it.

Sometimes you get shit on your car vandalized/fucked with because you're an asshole. But sometimes you get that just because you live near assholes, too.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna have to disagree as well. Some people are just little bitches. I had some spray paint overspray settle on my car (polish and a carnauba wax took it off luckily) and I'm pointing the finger at the glaring passive aggressive weird fuck neighbors. No idea why they are the way they are, we've had few interactions with them and have been polite and cordial during what little was said. But they see a 2016 Mustang and a 2015 Challenger in the driveway and one of us out there washing/detailing them or sitting in it to warm up and drive off, and out come the stares and glares. No idea what their issue is, but if we did something to piss them off unwittingly then it sure would be great if they could be decent reasonable people and just call us out on it.

Sometimes you get shit on your car vandalized/fucked with because you're an asshole. But sometimes you get that just because you live near assholes, too.
Well, it is Utah after all. Some weird people live out there, though there's weird everywhere. I think there's just been a serious degradation in respect for other people in this society we live in. You see it everyday when driving. It's not so much conscious disrespect, but lack of choosing to respect others with your actions.

I've never lived anywhere where I was worried about people vandalizing my car or stealing my gas or anything like that. I wouldn't own a car like this if I did. Choose wisely.

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
In another related item, not sure putting the mustang logo on the key fob was all that smart, I go to the beach a lot and leave the key in my bag will I am riding the waves, someway can go through my bag find the mustang key fob, go up to the street and probably in a few minutes find my mustang.

Terry
Even if it didn't have the Mustang logo on the fob they could just go up the street pressing the lock button until they find the car that responds.
Sponsored