NEW INFO ON GT500

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Seems like that would be a perfect match up!
Lincoln would probably also offer a V8 option that would be a brand/marque specific power plant...something not available in the the Mustang.
It could be very interesting.
Sponsored

healntoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 GT350 Convertible
This thread has grown very quiet all of a sudden . . . I am believing for an announcement though from Ford in the next 60 days regarding a 2017/18 GT500. For a limited run of 17's (like the run of 37 '15 GT350's) as a 50th anniversary model. The 1967 GT500 was too significant an automobile for Ford to pass up this opportunity! My take is that it will be a 5.0L direct injection, TT that offers 10 speed AT or 6-spd. manual and no AWD. Will come in between $70-75K and make 740-760 HP

Last edited:

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Well, I wouldn't hold your breath. The best info that I have seen indicates late 2018 or 2019 MY for any change to the Hummingbird platform.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
the Hummingbird platform.
I don't think I've heard it called that since the floor layout was "leaked" for the 2015 Detroit Show! I guess the "Voodoo" moniker for the engine seems to be the preferred nickname for GT350.

I wonder what the new GT500 engine might be called though......I assume it'd be different, even if the platform remains Hummingbird (I assume that refers to the lightweighting/MagneRide differences over the standard S550). :)

Sponsored

healntoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 GT350 Convertible
I don't think I've heard it called that since the floor layout was "leaked" for the 2015 Detroit Show! I guess the "Voodoo" moniker for the engine seems to be the preferred nickname for GT350.

I wonder what the new GT500 engine might be called though......I assume it'd be different, even if the platform remains Hummingbird (I assume that refers to the lightweighting/MagneRide differences over the standard S550). :)
What ever happened to the King Kong label?

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Well, I know that Hummingbird is still used internally to refer to the GT350 models in an ongoing basis; its sort of habit to call it that. What they'll call its replacement is anyone's guess. Its funny, if we look back at some recent vehicle code names:

Condor
Terminator
Raptor (leaked before vehicle was named and stuck)
Petunia
Hummingbird

It could be that Hummingbird was reference to the lighter version of the chassis, but its still no lightweight. And that doesn't explain Petunia. Who knows where they come up with these things? Obviously, someone has a sense of humor...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There was a little tag under my Tech Pack spoiler that said Hummingbird on it.

mrdci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, Raptor SCrew, '17 GT350R HR083, E39 Dinan M5
There was a little tag under my Tech Pack spoiler that said Hummingbird on it.
Hummingbird was the code name for the GT350 engine/car based on how much it revved. Got that info from the tech at the Track Tour a few weeks back. So the GT500 has another name but couldnt get them to confirm on it or the Mach 1.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Hummingbird was the code name well before the engine was sorted out, or even specified. At that time, they hadn't locked down the displacement or the induction, so I doubt that it really has anything to to with it. There are probably lots of variations of different stories about that sort of thing, but they're mostly anecdotal. In truth, I bet that there's a master list of project code names somewhere, and when the next project comes along it gets the next name...

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
GT500 won't arrive for a while...Next up MACh1

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hummingbird was the code name well before the engine was sorted out, or even specified. At that time, they hadn't locked down the displacement or the induction, so I doubt that it really has anything to to with it. There are probably lots of variations of different stories about that sort of thing, but they're mostly anecdotal. In truth, I bet that there's a master list of project code names somewhere, and when the next project comes along it gets the next name...
Hummingbird does just happen to be a good name for the GT350, though. It also makes sense to me that the various engine options for the GT350 would all have had some similar characteristics that fit the name Hummingbird. That name would have been less appropriate for Raptor or GT500 IMO.

Do you have a list of past names that demonstrates your assertion that the project names are assigned randomly?

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a list of past names that demonstrates your assertion that the project names are assigned randomly?
I gave you five a few posts up. There are others I'm familiar with but won't disclose. I don't know that they're random - though I've seen enough to notice a lack of pattern. My guess is that there is either 1) a master list of code names that gets used as required, or 2) is assigned by the program's chief engineer or someone similar, and its they're discretion as to how relevant it is. Either way, it seems that some names are pretty random; others are either purposeful or show a sense of humor.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I gave you five a few posts up. There are others I'm familiar with but won't disclose. I don't know that they're random - though I've seen enough to notice a lack of pattern. My guess is that there is either 1) a master list of code names that gets used as required, or 2) is assigned by the program's chief engineer or someone similar, and its they're discretion as to how relevant it is. Either way, it seems that some names are pretty random; others are either purposeful or show a sense of humor.
Sorry I missed your other post. I'm also not familiar with what cars those names were assigned to, so just the names without their associated cars aren't helping me.
Sponsored