HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Automatic transmissions are not all the same. I won't buy a car with a slushbox like in the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc, etc..

But I don 't have a clutch pedal fetish. I can live with a DCT as long as it has a mode for 100% driver control of the gear.
Sponsored

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Automatic transmissions are not all the same. I won't buy a car with a slushbox like in the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc, etc..

But I don 't have a clutch pedal fetish. I can live with a DCT as long as it has a mode for 100% driver control of the gear.
All autos are not the same but did you know the new A10 "slushbox" from GM and Ford shifts faster than most DCT transmissions?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
All autos are not the same but did you know the new A10 "slushbox" from GM and Ford shifts faster than most DCT transmissions?
I don't care as much about the speed as I care about having x percent change in engine speed causing exactly x percent change in wheel speed. Its the torque converter I can't stand when its not locked.

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
We need to quit repeating this. It's true in one scenario but it's very misleading. The new 10-speed (and the GM 8L90, where this PR line was first trotted out) does shift faster than a Porsche PDK DCT during full throttle upshifts.

But that's not the whole story. When downshifting a DCT has two gears simultaneously engaged and can switch between them smoothly using dual clutches. A torque converter auto has a dilemma: the faster the downshift, the more risk of upsetting the chassis while braking and entering a corner. So going for "faster than PDK" on downshifts will end up with a car that PR people can brag about but erodes driver confidence on a track.

Plus the PDK is well known for having amazing software, to the point where you can literally leave it in automatic. Here's a quote from Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car article from a couple of years ago about just how good the PDK is:

Let’s discuss specifics, starting with the amazing dual-clutch transmission, the second-gen Porsche PDK. “Just brilliant,” coos Kiino. “No matter how you want to drive — relaxed or spirited — the PDK just seems to know and it functions perfectly.”

So true. I blew turn 6 pretty badly one lap and, at the very moment I was starting to think, “I should probably downshift,” the PDK did exactly that. It was almost spooky, like having a co-driver working the transmission for me. And, unlike the unit on the GT-R, the Porsche’s transmission software is so good that you don’t even need to pull the paddles. Of course, you can and, in Sport+, the relatively weak 911 (just 400 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque, yet hits 60 mph in 3.7 seconds!) mule-kicks nearly as hard as the Aventador when you flick it into second. “I’ve just been obsoleted!” exclaimed Pobst. “Years of practice and training to learn how to shift a car have now become completely unnecessary. And, in fact, that, to me, is a little bit sad.” Sure, if you still feel the need to row your own, Porsche makes a 911 with a seven-speed manual, but please believe me, PDK is the way to go.
Ford and GM are not collaborating on programming their respective 10-speed units so we have to wait and see how sophisticated & responsive the software is in the GT500. But don't just go around repeating that it's a better transmission solely because it upshifts faster than PDK; the 8L90 already does that and NO ONE who has driven both on a track says it's a better transmission than PDK.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
We need to quit repeating this. It's true in one scenario but it's very misleading. The new 10-speed (and the GM 8L90, where this PR line was first trotted out) does shift faster than a Porsche PDK DCT during full throttle upshifts.

But that's not the whole story. When downshifting a DCT has two gears simultaneously engaged and can switch between them smoothly using dual clutches. A torque converter auto has a dilemma: the faster the downshift, the more risk of upsetting the chassis while braking and entering a corner. So going for "faster than PDK" on downshifts will end up with a car that PR people can brag about but erodes driver confidence on a track.

Plus the PDK is well known for having amazing software, to the point where you can literally leave it in automatic. Here's a quote from Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car article from a couple of years ago about just how good the PDK is:

Ford and GM are not collaborating on programming their respective 10-speed units so we have to wait and see how sophisticated & responsive the software is in the GT500. But don't just go around repeating that it's a better transmission solely because it upshifts faster than PDK; the 8L90 already does that and NO ONE who has driven both on a track says it's a better transmission than PDK.
I know the PDK is an amazing transmission but my point was that the high performance torque converter autos have caught up to where DCT transmissions are. There isn't a big gap like there used to be. Plus torque converter autos can rev match downshifts so the chassis isn't upset. I never said one was better than the other but with current technology both transmissions perform very well.

Sponsored

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
I know the PDK is an amazing transmission but my point was that the high performance torque converter autos have caught up to where DCT transmissions are. There isn't a big gap like there used to be. Plus torque converter autos can rev match downshifts so the chassis isn't upset. I never said one was better than the other but with current technology both transmissions perform very well.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I agree the best torque converter autos are amazing now. I have the ZF 8-speed in my Hellcat and it's incredible. I can see why it's used in so many cars. I'm really looking forward to the new 10-speed!

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Ain't gonna have no Automatic either.

No V6, No Auto, No AWD.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Ain't gonna have no Automatic either.
No V6, No Auto, No AWD.
Spoken like a true old schooler. I like it bro. :thumbsup:
Can you imagine Carroll Shelby hearing about putting a V6 into a GT500 car? Or, making it awd?!? :eyebulge:

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Can you imagine Carroll Shelby hearing about putting a V6 into a GT500 car? Or, making it awd?!? :eyebulge:
Eh, Carroll was a racer. He didn't get sentimental over this kind of thing. If he could get a performance advantage via a V6 or AWD, he'd do it in a heartbeat. Like, he hated the look of the Kammback of the Daytona Coupes but it provided a significant aero advantage so it was in.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

Um....

Specifically referencing the new performance auto.

But even if you don't like that, you can drive the stick.

Others will choose the faster setup.

But yes, a full control mode would be awesome.

Sponsored

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
I was talking to a man that worked for the Ecoboost program back in 2011 and he claimed that they were working on an Ecoboost V8. I still haven't seen an Ecoboost V8 yet so either they scrapped it or it hasn't been released yet. I don't know if the GT500 is coming with an Ecoboost V8 but I know Ford has been toying with one for quite some time now.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Back when this forum was first created, one of the first members was a guy called [MENTION=6366]Thed[/MENTION] and he created this thread:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7776

Here's a snippet:

THE LINCOLN REVIVAL

-A RWD Lincoln coupe will spawn from the Mustang's platform. Expect it to release in the 2019-2020 MY. It will be built at the Flat Rock assembly plant along-side the 2015 Mustang. Design started last year.

-The Navigator will no longer be a tarted-up Expedition by 2018, it will be designed and constructed by Lincoln for the first time in the 'Gator's history. The expected engine lineup is the EcoBoost V6 and a new EcoBoost V8. For 2018 it will be on the new F-150's platform. and will also use an extensive amount of aluminum body paneling. A Vista-style glass roof will be making it on to the Navi. Despite the monstrous power available, it will still have class-leading FE. This will not be a cheap truck, it is going to be in the leagues of the Range Rover with the Navi's style and luxury.

-The new MKX is hitting the streets as we speak.

-The Aviator is now expected to make a revival as an Explorer-based mid-size SUV. The moniker "MKA" was recently trademarked by Ford.

-There have been rumors of a Focus-based compact car, but the rumors have been debunked.

-MKT is going to be axed soon.

-The Lincoln MKZ has been refreshed for 2017. A performance model is going to have around 400 HP and AWD.

-The Continental will replace the MKS.

-A 3.0L EB TTV6 (based on the 2.7L EB) is being developed, with power rivaling the current 3.5L EB. Coming with it is a nine-speed automatic co-developed by GM and Ford. This will be a Lincoln-exclusive powertrain.

-Lincoln will be releasing two all-new cars by 2020, one being a replacement for the MKT (see Aviator). The other may be the Mustang coupe.

He called out the 3.0 EB TTV6 which was announced for the Continental this year......I hope his prediction for the Ecoboost V8 comes true. OK, he called it for the new Navigator, but I'm sure a Hi-Po version could be used in a GT500 :)

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Back when this forum was first created, one of the first members was a guy called [MENTION=6366]Thed[/MENTION] and he created this thread:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7776

Here's a snippet:

THE LINCOLN REVIVAL

-A RWD Lincoln coupe will spawn from the Mustang's platform. Expect it to release in the 2019-2020 MY. It will be built at the Flat Rock assembly plant along-side the 2015 Mustang. Design started last year.

-The Navigator will no longer be a tarted-up Expedition by 2018, it will be designed and constructed by Lincoln for the first time in the 'Gator's history. The expected engine lineup is the EcoBoost V6 and a new EcoBoost V8. For 2018 it will be on the new F-150's platform. and will also use an extensive amount of aluminum body paneling. A Vista-style glass roof will be making it on to the Navi. Despite the monstrous power available, it will still have class-leading FE. This will not be a cheap truck, it is going to be in the leagues of the Range Rover with the Navi's style and luxury.

-The new MKX is hitting the streets as we speak.

-The Aviator is now expected to make a revival as an Explorer-based mid-size SUV. The moniker "MKA" was recently trademarked by Ford.

-There have been rumors of a Focus-based compact car, but the rumors have been debunked.

-MKT is going to be axed soon.

-The Lincoln MKZ has been refreshed for 2017. A performance model is going to have around 400 HP and AWD.

-The Continental will replace the MKS.

-A 3.0L EB TTV6 (based on the 2.7L EB) is being developed, with power rivaling the current 3.5L EB. Coming with it is a nine-speed automatic co-developed by GM and Ford. This will be a Lincoln-exclusive powertrain.

-Lincoln will be releasing two all-new cars by 2020, one being a replacement for the MKT (see Aviator). The other may be the Mustang coupe.

He called out the 3.0 EB TTV6 which was announced for the Continental this year......I hope his prediction for the Ecoboost V8 comes true. OK, he called it for the new Navigator, but I'm sure a Hi-Po version could be used in a GT500 :)
Teehee!

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I predict a new Mustang-based luxury/performance Lincoln coupe will feature the 3.0 EB TTV6.

WhiteWidow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
I predict a new Mustang-based luxury/performance Lincoln coupe will feature the 3.0 EB TTV6.
Think it will compete with the new Camaro-based Buick Avista? Crazy times to be a car enthusiast!
Sponsored