Sponsored

NEW INFO ON GT500

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
That car is going to hurt a lot of feelings, I'm calling it now. Whether you like GM or not, it's going to happen. :eek:
Yup, Al Oppenheiser (Camaro chief engineer) has been at the Nurburgring this week and he's said that they're going to unveil some pretty spectacular numbers for the ZL1. Definitely not an old school muscle car, it's going to be a track monster.

Whenever the GT500 happens, Ford better bring their A game.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Yup, Al Oppenheiser (Camaro chief engineer) has been at the Nurburgring this week and he's said that they're going to unveil some pretty spectacular numbers for the ZL1. Definitely not an old school muscle car, it's going to be a track monster.

This.

The new zl1 is a slick monster.

a lighter Camaro platform with z06 power.

That would be "good enough" to slap Together.

But the fast shifting performance auto is the real quicker picker upper.

The car will be putting up exotic numbers.

That's why I can't believe the Luddites on this forum who just want another 6 speed manual, old school supercharged gt500 with minimal engineering effort.

Makes zero sense.

Ford has the tech to turn the genre/segment/whatever you want to call it on its head.

The zl1 is going to mop the floor with everything. The numbers will outright obliterate the gt350, the previous gt500, and the hellcat. By a lot. No contest. Not even close.

And yet Ford has the keys to have the Mustang gt500 eating the zl1 for lunch it's their own fast shifting performance auto, an ecoboost v8 that the lt4 dreams about growing up to be like (even though a supercharged 5.0 would be more powerful than the lt4, especially if direct injected), and light weighting (the Mustang has a lot more room to lose weight then the Camaro, which, as I said a year ago could only gain weight after launch).

The gt500 with the transmission and ecoboost v8 described above wouldn't just put up exotic numbers. It would embarrass exotics. And that's without bringing up the possibility of awd...

It's taking a while, but the gt500 successor is going to be brutal. And that's the way it should be. Chevy can target the s550 gt and gt350 (taking them a bit to feel comfortable with that target though...) and they have beaten the gt and will beat the gt350r with the z28. But the zl1 is first. And it's not wise to give Ford a target with the big dog.

The zl1 will be extremely impressive. I'd even buy one based off what we know now.

But the gt500 is holding all the cards. So I'll wait.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

This.

That's why I can't believe the Luddites on this forum who just want another 6 speed manual, old school supercharged gt500 with minimal engineering effort.

Makes zero sense.

Ford has the tech to turn the genre/segment/whatever you want to call it on its head.

The zl1 is going to mop the floor with everything. The numbers will outright obliterate the gt350, the previous gt500, and the hellcat. By a lot. No contest. Not even close.

And yet Ford has the keys to have the Mustang gt500 eating the zl1 for lunch it's their own fast shifting performance auto, an ecoboost v8 that the lt4 dreams about growing up to be like (even though a supercharged 5.0 would be more powerful than the lt4, especially if direct injected), and light weighting (the Mustang has a lot more room to lose weight then the Camaro, which, as I said a year ago could only gain weight after launch).

The gt500 with the transmission and ecoboost v8 described above wouldn't just put up exotic numbers. It would embarrass exotics. And that's without bringing up the possibility of awd...

It's taking a while, but the gt500 successor is going to be brutal. And that's the way it should be. Chevy can target the s550 gt and gt350 (taking them a bit to feel comfortable with that target though...) and they have beaten the gt and will beat the gt350r with the z28. But the zl1 is first. And it's not wise to give Ford a target with the big dog.

The zl1 will be extremely impressive. I'd even buy one based off what we know now.

The zl1 is going to hurt a lot of feelings.

But I e a feeling whoever buys a zl1 before they've a chance to own a gt500 is going to have their feelings hurt worse.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I wonder whether they will make sure there's a little sprinkle of rain somewhere on the course so that when Ford beats them they have a reason.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I wonder whether they will make sure there's a little sprinkle of rain somewhere on the course so that when Ford beats them they have a reason.
Lmao too funny!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Sponsored

BLUEIVYS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford mustang GT performance deep impact blue
This.

Makes zero sense.

The zl1 is going to hurt a lot of feelings.

But I e a feeling whoever buys a zl1 before they've a chance to own a gt500 is going to have their feelings hurt worse.
Not everyone cares about performance numbers. Most guys like to row their own gears, In my opinion driving a fast automatic will never be more satisfying than driving a fast manual. You are in full control. Not to take away from the a6 guys because it's your choice. But I speak for everyone who bought a performance package that believe in rowing your own gears. It's nothing like it. That's why I love ford, one of the few left who understands this.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Not everyone cares about performance numbers. Most guys like to row their own gears, In my opinion driving a fast automatic will never be more satisfying than driving a fast manual. You are in full control. Not to take away from the a6 guys because it's your choice. But I speak for everyone who bought a performance package that believe in rowing your own gears. It's nothing like it. That's why I love ford, one of the few left who understands this.
I agree with you. It's saddening that so many great auto makers are pushing everything towards being automatic. A true sports car should require full control from the driver to gearing, braking and throttle. What's next autonomous racing?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

BLUEIVYS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford mustang GT performance deep impact blue
I agree with you. It's saddening that so many great auto makers are pushing everything towards being automatic. A true sports car should require full control from the driver to gearing, braking and throttle. What's next autonomous racing?
Exactly! Most of us don't track our cars, so numbers on the street doesn't always matter to us, but that feeling you get when you downshift from cruising to 3rd or 4th and the adrenaline rush hits.that feeling never changes and thone experiences is what matters most to me

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The manual wouldn't be no longer available you can still row your own.

But for the people spending that much money to not lose to a lesser car that simply has a faster transmission,by he performance auto will take the gt500 performance into the stratosphere.

Not everyone is ok with subpar performance just so they can move a stick around either.

So the best of both worlds is a phrase that comes to mind.

The auto as standard so that the magazine guys don't try to compare the slowest numbers of the gt500 with the fastest numbers of the comp, and the manual, so the row your own crowd can enjoy a satisfying experience also.

I enjoy shifting my cobra. But if I had an auto that made it faster...

That's why it's best to offer both.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That's why it's best to offer both.
I agree with this for a drag race focused vehicle like the GT500 has been or for a mass market vehicle like the Mustang GT.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I agree with this for a drag race focused vehicle like the GT500 has been or for a mass market vehicle like the Mustang GT.
I think it may help a lot of people at the track as well who just want to mash and brake.

A manual tranny will last longer on the track IMHO but the auto will allow for fastest runs on the strip and on the track. Especially with a track mode and paddle shifters.

Maybe a bit different with an engine like the gt350 FPC where you want to hold the rpms but even then, paddle shifters would cure the issue of a clueless auto.

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Maybe a bit different with an engine like the gt350 FPC where you want to hold the rpms but even then, paddle shifters would cure the issue of a clueless auto.
Ferrari offers only automatic transmissions in their cars, including their V8 flat plane crank motors. That's because Ferrari wants to make the fastest cars, and manuals are slower than the best autos.

Nothing wrong with wanting to drive a stick -- it's the most engaging & emotionally satisfying way to drive a car. But let's not pretend there's any performance benefit at all.

Every McLaren, every Lamborghini, every Ferarri, every Koeniggsegg all offer only automatics. Porsche offers only automatics on their most serious track-focused cars like the 918 supercar and the 911 GT3 and GT3 RS.

If you're out for the lowest lap time you want an automatic, full stop, no exceptions. But there's more to driving than lap times and that's why I hope the GT500 offers both a manual and an auto. Let the customer choose.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ferrari offers only automatic transmissions in their cars, including their V8 flat plane crank motors. That's because Ferrari wants to make the fastest cars, and manuals are slower than the best autos.

Nothing wrong with wanting to drive a stick -- it's the most engaging & emotionally satisfying way to drive a car. But let's not pretend there's any performance benefit at all.

Every McLaren, every Lamborghini, every Ferarri, every Koeniggsegg all offer only automatics. Porsche offers only automatics on their most serious track-focused cars like the 918 supercar and the 911 GT3 and GT3 RS.

If you're out for the lowest lap time you want an automatic, full stop, no exceptions. But there's more to driving than lap times and that's why I hope the GT500 offers both a manual and an auto. Let the customer choose.
Well said.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think it may help a lot of people at the track as well who just want to mash and brake.

A manual tranny will last longer on the track IMHO but the auto will allow for fastest runs on the strip and on the track. Especially with a track mode and paddle shifters.

I realize there's always the us vs. them mentality of auto vs. stick... AND I'm a stick guy. However, if the GT500 makes the kind of power we all think it will, driving even an automatic equipped version to a seriously fast time will not be easy. Wheel spin will be very, very difficult to avoid. A fast driver will not be clueless and will not mash.
Sponsored