Sponsored

GT Automatic

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
How is the automatic transmission in the GT? I think 10 years from now, I might be tired of shifting. Anyone miss shifting the gears, especially if you went from a sporty stick shift to the GT auto?

Dave
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
How is the automatic transmission in the GT? I think 10 years from now, I might be tired of shifting. Anyone miss shifting the gears, especially if you went from a sporty stick shift to the GT auto?

Dave
In 10 years, I'm sure we'll have some insanely better autos, DCTs ... or more likely, everything will be electric, so the whole concept of the automobile will be so changed, none of this will be relevant :D

My first Vette I bought was an auto, I couldn't swap for a Vette with a manual fast enough :) From there - with the exception of my 2nd car or the wife's ride - I've only had manuals, including my current GT/PP convertible (and this car is even a "cruiser", but I love shifting!

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Have a manual C6 Corvette, tired of shifting and got an auto on the GT/CS and am glad I got it. Drive the Vette when I want to shift, but no regrets, would do it again.

My new Vette will also have an auto.....

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
It's fast. Most forced induction guys are running autos. Sometimes I do miss the thrill of stick shifting though, and find myself instinctively grabbing the shift knob when I make hard pulls. :p

Modern auto transmissions can shift faster and more efficiently than even the best stick guys. It's just the way it is these days. Naturally it isn't quite as fun though, but that is subjective I suppose. It's give and take.

YeeeeHaaaaw!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NonMustang

Dave
I'm wondering about an automatic 2017 GT myself. I've been reading the forums and all over the Internet about manual vs automatic. I love driving a manual, one week I'm all about buying a manual. Then all the sudden I'm reading about clunking sounds when shifting and the reliability of the manuals may not be all that great with the MT82 transmission and I get discouraged.

The automatic Mustangs use the 6R80 transmission. F-150's have been using the same transmission since 2009 to the current model. Now that raises my confidence in the reliability.
So, even though I love driving a manual vehicle and would love one, with my sights set on longevity it looks like I will probably buy an automatic. Plus with the automatic I can get a remote start and pull up a lawn chair.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
Yeah, I think the speed of the shift in today's automatics is really amazing. Traffic jams, and going light to light in the city sux with a stick. I do like punching it in third gear going down on ramps, but the pros of an auto probably outweigh the negatives.

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang
I love Manuals BUT my last few cars have been autos and I would never go back....I love a good paddle shift auto it can feel sporty when you want it too but the oth 95% of driving I dont have to change gears....If I add some mods (blower etc) add sticky tyres the autos run better strip times as well...

OP
OP

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
Do the auto's in Australia have more than 3 gears now?

Sorry, wanted to type a cool, witty quip about Australia (even though every American would LOVE to go there), but just could not come up with one. You know a Country is bad ass when they have Tractor Trailers with 6 trailers! How the Hell would you pass that thing?

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
I had an auto in my 13 5.0. I got rid of that car in just 7 months. The biggest reason i got rid of it was the auto transmission. The car just never felt like a 420 horse car. I am talking about torque. It just didnt pull and put me back in the seat like i thought it should. When i had that car i honestly started thinking the 5.0 was over rated. Then i later test drove 2 manual 14 5.0's, and was like wow! Those cars felt night and day stronger than the auto i had. They put me back in the seat and pulled like a freight train. So when i started shopping for a 15 i didnt even consider the auto. I went manual and love the car. It puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it. Fun to drive and pulls hard. Now i understand that as far as times go the autos may be averaging a bit faster 1/4 times but they dont feel as fast as the manual cars i promise you. Drive both and you will see.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I had an auto in my 13 5.0. I got rid of that car in just 7 months. The biggest reason i got rid of it was the auto transmission. The car just never felt like a 420 horse car. I am talking about torque. It just didnt pull and put me back in the seat like i thought it should. When i had that car i honestly started thinking the 5.0 was over rated. Then i later test drove 2 manual 14 5.0's, and was like wow! Those cars felt night and day stronger than the auto i had. They put me back in the seat and pulled like a freight train. So when i started shopping for a 15 i didnt even consider the auto. I went manual and love the car. It puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it. Fun to drive and pulls hard. Now i understand that as far as times go the autos may be averaging a bit faster 1/4 times but they dont feel as fast as the manual cars i promise you. Drive both and you will see.
Gearing is very important for how "fast" these cars feel. An auto with 3.15's will feel "slower" especially in city driving than a manual with 3.73's or an auto with 3.55's. It won't actually be slower, but it will feel a little lazier unless you're at WOT. It's nothing more than butt dyno.

Sponsored

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang
You know a Country is bad ass when they have Tractor Trailers with 6 trailers! How the Hell would you pass that thing?
Blowers....that's how you pass.....800rwhp is a safety feature (well thats how Im trying to sell it to my wife)

HBTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I have a 15 GT premium auto, I have driven manuals for many years and many different high and low horsepower cars. I drove both the GT manual and auto before buying. I really went in thinking I would get the manual, but I could tell quickly, that the auto was faster in my hands, especially in the S or S+ modes. In regular D the car is docile, even a bit lazy with a light foot on the throttle, fine for stop and go traffic or a calm cruise with the top down. Put it in the S or S+, and it is a different car altogether. Try both a see for yourself which is more fun for you.

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang
My last car was a jeep 2014 SRT and the 8 speed Auto was ridiculously good and fast, no manual shifter would be quicker. With the paddles banging through 8 super fast shifts was as exhilarating as any manual I have owned...getting that big beast 0-62mph in 4.5 seconds was mostly due to that gearbox (oh and the Hemi)....saying that the Mustang Auto is not the same.

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Magnetic/Ebony
Had an 8 speed auto in my C7. Great tranny (for the most part) but I always regretted not getting the stick. For my S550 I wasn't going to repeat that mistake and got the 6 speed manual, I couldn't be happier.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The auto in the S550 is amazing. Especially in S+. I have the 3:15. I light em up at will just touching the throttle. At that point I knew I didn't need the 3:55. It's a great performing tranny. Very responsive. Best automatic I ever drove.
Sponsored