Sponsored

Z26 or Z23 powerstop pads

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
A little off-topic, but worth a try before starting a new thread:
- What are folks currently paying for OEM front pads and from where?
Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Question for you guys that I haven't seen answered here....

How do the rotors LOOK?

My brakes are OK... the shop that did my springs pointed out to me that my rear rotors are "getting there"

I've wanted to replace the OEM brakes anyway because they look kinda junky. I sanded down and painted the visible hub black, so that helped, but that outside edge is still rusty and I kinda hate the look.

So since some of you have had the Z23 and Z26s for a while, how are they holding up visually long term? Have they built up rust like the OEM rotors?
Brake pads won't change the actual material that makes up the brake rotors. Any issue you aren't happy with on the stock rotors, will still be present with the Powerstop pads.

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
Brake pads won't change the actual material that makes up the brake rotors. Any issue you aren't happy with on the stock rotors, will still be present with the Powerstop pads.
Hmm... I thought I was pretty clear that I was going to get new rotors as well... I'm asking about the long term look of the Z26 rotors (or Z23s)... I assume quite a few people bought the rotors along with the pads...

20190623_202659.jpg
This is kind of an old picture... it's not just that little groove between the rotors surface and the hub, it's also that outside edge of the rotors that's built up some rust... It bothers me... It was particularly bad on my old Nissan... the buildup increased with time...

So these rotors "claim" they're zinc plated and resist rust, but I'd love to hear someone who's had a set on their car for three years confirm it...

Last edited:

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
From what I see powerstop does not make rotors for GT350. You should try posting in the general mustang section.

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
From what I see powerstop does not make rotors for GT350. You should try posting in the general mustang section.
Theres at least one person who posted in this thread about buying the rotors....

Just installed Z26 pads and rotors on all 4 corners today and did the bedding procedure outlined.

Iā€™ve only driven for <50 miles but I do have some significant brake noise. Itā€™s not a squeak per say, but more of a light ā€œgrindā€ coming from front passenger side when slowing down to <10mph.

I did not grease the front pads, so I think Iā€™m going to pull them out and grease the back of the pads. Do yā€™all grease the pins as well on the front brembos? Any other areas? The rear brakes have no issues/noises.
In searching the forum for info about these pads and rotors, I found this thread, so I posted about here figuring why not get the attention of someone who maybe has them.

If I get an answer, great, if not, thats ok too... But people going out of thier way to try and make me look stupid doesnt help....
Either add something positive to the conversation, or keep it to yourself.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it's also that outside edge of the rotors that's built up some rust... It bothers me... It was particularly bad on my old Nissan... the buildup increased with time...
it's not build-up. the pads are not sweeping the entire surface and the 'lip' is showing the difference between the worn (and getting thinner) rotor surface and the original. Take a 3/4" lathe tool and a sharp insert and you can cut that lip off. But you'll have to keep doing it as the rotor gets thinner and thinner. Either get your rotor diameter cut down 1mm when you get it, or drive the bloody car and stop paying attention to something this stupid.

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
it's not build-up. the pads are not sweeping the entire surface and the 'lip' is showing the difference between the worn (and getting thinner) rotor surface and the original. Take a 3/4" lathe tool and a sharp insert and you can cut that lip off. But you'll have to keep doing it as the rotor gets thinner and thinner. Either get your rotor diameter cut down 1mm when you get it, or drive the bloody car and stop paying attention to something this stupid.
I understand how brakes work... the first guy seemed to misunderstand my post, thats the only reason I pointed it out.
Its not that big a deal dude... Its not ruining my life... I just wanted feedback from someone who has the rotors on their car already.
The hub and the big groove between the hub and the braking surface rusts up too

Last edited:

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hmm... I thought I was pretty clear that I was going to get new rotors as well... I'm asking about the long term look of the Z26 rotors (or Z23s)... I assume quite a few people bought the rotors along with the pads...

20190623_202659.jpg
This is kind of an old picture... it's not just that little groove between the rotors surface and the hub, it's also that outside edge of the rotors that's built up some rust... It bothers me... It was particularly bad on my old Nissan... the buildup increased with time...

So these rotors "claim" they're zinc plated and resist rust, but I'd love to hear someone who's had a set on their car for three years confirm it...
To be honest it wasn't clear you were buying rotors at all in that post and since you're in the GT350 forum and powerstop doesn't make rotors for our car I never even knew they made rotors. At the end of the day the rotors aren't made of stainless steel and since the pads aren't ever going to sweep the entire surface of the rotor, you'll eventually develop the same rusty line on any rotor you put on the car unless you buy some with that black coating on them to protect that portion of the rotor from ever being exposed. Even then I don't know how long that coating will last once it's edges are exposed.

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
Found a post last night from someone claiming theirs rusted up pretty bad...
It doesn't help that I live in New York.

I sanded and painted the groove and hub/hat with VHT paint a while back, but unsurprisingly it didn't age well... Might spring for some black G2 paint and paint the new rotors before I even put them on.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
To be honest it wasn't clear you were buying rotors at all in that post and since you're in the GT350 forum and powerstop doesn't make rotors for our car I never even knew they made rotors. At the end of the day the rotors aren't made of stainless steel and since the pads aren't ever going to sweep the entire surface of the rotor, you'll eventually develop the same rusty line on any rotor you put on the car unless you buy some with that black coating on them to protect that portion of the rotor from ever being exposed. Even then I don't know how long that coating will last once it's edges are exposed.
I brought up rotors back around post #24, but it was ultimately about GT350s. Point was Power Stop calls for slotted or drilled rotors, so I was wondering about implications for 2019+MYs. Question was answered. Agree that it's weird to be talking about rotors for something other than GT350s, particularly when it's not associated with power stop either.

Sponsored

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
so which pad between the Z23 vs Z26 is better for a daily given the price difference?

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
I don't daily mine. Went with the Z26 pads all around. Work great, no issues and a lot less dust. Also have 3 friends running them on GT350s.

Wildwildwest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I don't daily mine. Went with the Z26 pads all around. Work great, no issues and a lot less dust. Also have 3 friends running them on GT350s.
Same here. Z/26 pads and stock rotors. I donā€˜t daily drive my GT350. On the street, work as well as stock pads, just a little less initial bite and a lot less dust. I also had these on my C7 Z06 with the same results/experience.

Whopperman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Viper GT, 2019 GT350R
I glossed over the first page and saw something about them being ceramic, does this mean that they need to be heated up to break better than stock and basically aren't that good in the cold like carbon ceramic breaks?

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Same here. Z/26 pads and stock rotors. I donā€˜t daily drive my GT350. On the street, work as well as stock pads, just a little less initial bite and a lot less dust. I also had these on my C7 Z06 with the same results/experience.
Would you still recommend the Z26 over the Z23 for a stock GT daily driven ? (I don't have a 350)
Sponsored