Sponsored

Z26 or Z23 powerstop pads

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Got my Z23 from Rock Auto back in April.
Excellent! Thank you. I'll get those too, since I have no use for ultra high-performance pads. So do those have the exact same compound as the Z26s? Do you know? And initial bite is a bit more tame than stock, right? Did shop any other brands, like Hawk, EBC, etc.? Reportedly these PowerStops are harder on rotors than stock, but hope not too much. Thank you.

Oh, and how much can I ask for my full set of OEM pads with basically no wear (900 highway miles)? Thank you.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Excellent! Thank you. I'll get those too, since I have no use for ultra high-performance pads. So do those have the exact same compound as the Z26s? Do you know? And initial bite is a bit more tame than stock, right? Did shop any other brands, like Hawk, EBC, etc.? Reportedly these PowerStops are harder on rotors than stock, but hope not too much. Thank you.
Z26 and Z23 are the same exact compound. It is listed on their official website. Z26 are rated for high performace because of the metal backing plate help with heat dissipation. The Z23 have a rubber/plastic backing plate that also helps with heat dissipation but not as much as the Z26s. For me, since I dont track my car, the Z23 were better choice. And as you know, they are price a lot lower than the Z26. To me, initial bite is a tad bit softer than stock. barely noticeable. BUT.. the wheels are so much cleaner!! I have used Hawk pads before on other vehicles with no complaints. But the consensus here was PowerStop for Mustangs. Make sure to do the bedding process!

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
My Z23’s will show up tomorrow. Can’t wait to have clean wheels on a regular basis.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Went with the Z26 here 2 weeks ago.. So much less dust. Worth every penny.

Sponsored

Unclenard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Rock auto doesn't have the z26 front pads in stock.
Sorry I bought the last set they had available 3 1/2 weeks ago. Very happy with the reduction in dust.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Z26 and Z23 are the same exact compound. The Z23 have a rubber/plastic backing plate that also helps with heat dissipation but not as much as the Z26s. For me, since I don't track my car, the Z23 were better choice. But the consensus here was PowerStop for Mustangs. Make sure to do the bedding process!
I'm sold now; thank you again. I bet the rubber/plastic backing plate is for noise too, although Z26 owners say there's no noise. In addition, the Z23s also come with a paste I assume you guys used on the backing plates too. And will do the bedding process then; seems easy: 5 consecutive stops from 40 to 5 (medium to hard, so guess no ABS, but quick), then 5 paused ones from 25 to 5. I assume you just wait for 10 seconds or so, no? There was no specific instructions how much to wait. How did you do it? Thx.

Sorry I bought the last set they had available 3 1/2 weeks ago.
I put all 4 sets temporarily on RockAuto, and they all showed as in stock, and from the same warehouse. As an FYI.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
........And will do the bedding process then; seems easy: 5 consecutive stops from 40 to 5 (medium to hard, so guess no ABS, but quick), then 5 paused ones from 25 to 5. I assume you just wait for 10 seconds or so, no? There was no specific instructions how much to wait. How did you do it? Thx.
I've have done this procedure in the past with no issues. On an empty stretch of highway, 5 runs 40 to 5 then 5 runs 60 to 20. Just make sure you don't come a a complete stop. the brakes will cool down under normal use.. on your way home!

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Looking forward to answers from anyone who has experience with the two questions that still seem to be open (@Epiphany @honeybadger @BillyJRacing):

1. Powerstops are designed for drilled or slotted rotors. What is the implication for MY2019+ ?
2. Do CF pads wear out the rotors faster than OEM asbestos pads do?

A third question--is there any problem with mixing OEM (rear) and Powerstop (front)?

Finaly, since the drilled/slotted vs. solid argument is like the "oil type" argument (never ending and not always logical), for self-amusement I decided to take a few pictures to see what happens: drilled/slotted, seems all the cool kids wear them :) :

Enzo Brakes.jpg
Lambo Brakes.jpg
Lambo Shop.jpg
McShop.jpg

McBrakes.jpg
Pick one.jpg

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Looking forward to answers from anyone who has experience with the two questions that still seem to be open (@Epiphany @honeybadger @BillyJRacing):

1. Powerstops are designed for drilled or slotted rotors. What is the implication for MY2019+ ?

A third question--is there any problem with mixing OEM (rear) and Powerstop (front)?

Finaly, since the drilled/slotted vs. solid argument is like the "oil type" argument (never ending and not always logical), for self-amusement I decided to take a few pictures to see what happens: drilled/slotted, seems all the cool kids wear them :) :

Enzo Brakes.jpg
Lambo Brakes.jpg
Lambo Shop.jpg
McShop.jpg

McBrakes.jpg
Pick one.jpg
Keep in mind that all CCBs are drilled (at leas that I am aware of). I can't recall the reason off the top of my head. Hopefully Billy or someone else knows. We're quite a bit out of my depth on science side of things here, so I don't have much to add other than follow instructions when it comes to brakes. :)

Personally, I've run the G-Loc GS1s on the street and they were fine. No dust or noise, but noticeably less stopping power compared to stock (overheated and less cold bite). But a good option for a street car. For combo use, the OEM pads are really hard to beat. They work very well on track and are relatively quiet.

If you want a bit more performance and life, the Raybestos ST43s are excellent. I run the 43s up front and stock in the rear. Car stops damn quick. Here's 150 down to 38 braking at the 150 marker (and I still over-slowed)

Sponsored

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO

1. Powerstop does not list their Z pads as designed for drilled slotted rotors.
2. OEM pads will wear out the rotors faster than CF pads
3.Like many others, I run the OEM pads in the rear with no issues. Front pads do the majority of work.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
1. Powerstop does not list their Z pads as designed for drilled slotted rotors.
2. OEM pads will wear out the rotors faster than CF pads
3.Like many others, I run the OEM pads in the rear with no issues. Front pads do the majority of work.
Good info, thanks. Powerstop advertising used to say Z pads were designed for made for drilled/slotted rotors, which is part of the reason I didn't order a set when I went from a '16 to '19. May have been because the kit version included drilled rotors. Noticed the description doesn't say that any more. Thanks again.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
And will do the bedding process then; seems easy: 5 consecutive stops from 40 to 5 (medium to hard, so guess no ABS, but quick), then 5 paused ones from 25 to 5. I assume you just wait for 10 seconds or so, no? There was no specific instructions how much to wait. How did you do it? Thx.
I always use the Baer Brakes rotor seasoning and bedding process, and in response to your earlier question, YES, this process should be done, even on a brand new car.

https://baer.com/site_images/Rotor Seasoning & Pad Bedding.pdf

JR

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Good info, thanks. Powerstop advertising used to say Z pads were designed for made for drilled/slotted rotors, which is part of the reason I didn't order a set when I went from a '16 to '19. May have been because the kit version included drilled rotors. Noticed the description doesn't say that any more. Thanks again.
You answered your own question...marketing.