Sponsored

Z26 or Z23 powerstop pads

Amacron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to minimize brake dust. Which pads do you guy prefer other than the OEM pads?
Sponsored

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm running the Z26 pads as well. Barely any dust, and only a minimal loss of of initial bite when applying the brakes vs the stock pads. These pads are great for everything other than actual track use. Been on the Tail of the Dragon and other mountain roads several times with them and they've been great. Got them at RockAuto.com for a really good price.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running the Z26. Definitely cuts down the brake dust, and work great for normal street use. Rock Auto had the best price when I bought them.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Amazon no longer has them available but it appears these brake pads are ceramics? Valid statement? I was also told they will eat the rotors quicker than the oem brake pads? Any thoughts to this statement?

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They are ceramic. Not sure about additional rotor wear though, although the pads are designed for use with drilled and slotted rotors for whatever that's worth. Amazon didn't have them when I was looking either, but Rock Auto did along with a few other places.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Z23 and Z26 pads are the same compound, they just have a different backing plate. Believe the Z23 has an integral backing place, while the Z26 is a separate plate. I'm running the Z23s on my GT/PP, and love them. As noted above, there's less initial bite, which allows for extra pedal travel for heel/toe balance, but good overall bite.

JR

Stang65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 and 65 Fastback
Anyone here use Hawk pads?

also, everyone that has the Z26’s, no brake noise?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Amacron

Amacron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Rock auto doesn't have the z26 front pads in stock.

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I just a random squeak here or there. Nothing at all like I had with the stock pads.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Z23 and Z26 pads are the same compound, they just have a different backing plate. Believe the Z23 has an integral backing place, while the Z26 is a separate plate. I'm running the Z23s on my GT/PP, and love them. As noted above, there's less initial bite, which allows for extra pedal travel for heel/toe balance, but good overall bite.
Hey brother, are you sure they have the same identical compound? By the huge difference in price (almost half), I thought they were different. And also because the Z23s are rated as low noise, and the Z26s as high. I'm debating which ones to get. My stock Brembos don't make any noise at all, and want to keep them that way. Are the pads Brembo too? And what difference does it make having those different backing plates? I'll never track my car; I only use it aggressively in the twisties, but without braking hard.

Hey, did you do the 5 40-5 hard stops, followed by 5 25-5 medium ones? Wonder if that's necessary with a new car (mine has 900 miles at the moment), since you don't have to do any of that when new. By the way, I find the stock brakes have too much initial bite, so the apparent detraction of these pads not having the same as stock is actually an advantage to me. They're super touchy now. I'm getting used to them, but prefer them a tad less touchy. Wonder how easy is to replace the pads, but will look for videos on YT. Shouldn't even have to retract the pistons with only 900 miles.

I was wondering that too, since the great majority here are pushing those, rather than the Z23s. Since I don't use the brakes hard, I'm thinking the Z23s would be better, but need to find out. The Z26s are more expensive, but they're quite affordable too, so not an issue.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey brother, are you sure they have the same identical compound? By the huge difference in price (almost half), I thought they were different. Also the Z23s are rated as low noise, and the Z26s as high, which is why I'm debating which one. My stock Brembos don't make any noise at all, and want to keep them that way. Are the pads Brembo too? And what difference does it make having those different backing plates? I'll never track my car; I only use it aggressively in the twisties, but without braking hard.

Hey, did you do the 5 40-5 hard stops, followed by 5 25-5 medium ones? Wonder if that's necessary with a new car (mine has 900 miles at the moment), since you don't have to do any of that when new. By the way, I find the stock brakes have too much initial bite, so the apparent detraction of these pads not having the same as stock is actually an advantage to me. They're super touchy now. I'm getting used to them, but prefer them a tad less touchy. Wonder how easy is to replace the pads, but will look for videos on YT. Shouldn't even have to retract the pistons with only 900 miles.

I was wondering that too, since the great majority here are pushing those, rather than the Z23s. Since I don't use the brakes hard, I'm thinking the Z23s would be better, but need to find out. The Z26s are more expensive, but they're quite affordable too, so not an issue.
I run the z26, and no noise.
Sponsored