Sponsored

Would you pay $42k for a GT500 CFTP - flood damage

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Looked at the pictures. You can see the rust everywhere. I doubt you could salvage enough parts to break even. Exhaust tips literally oozing rust. Someone will get those wheels though. Also, it is being sold without the engine and trans. Hope that lone bidder read the fine print. Pass.
Sponsored

Last edited:

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Also, it is being sold without the engine and trans. Hope that lone bidder read the fine print. Pass.
not exactly, it CAN be sold without eng/trans…

“We are not interested in parting this vehicle out, so please do not send messages asking for parts from it!!!!!!!
We will however sell without the engine/transmission for $35000”

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Got a great piece of property in the Everglades that I'll let go for a good price.

Sponsored

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
If the drive train was intact, it would be a no brainer. If the thing sat submerged, I think this would be a nightmare.
Cars with flood damage get totaled because everything electrical is a open item. I had a boat sink in salt water as soon as we drained the water out we poured a bunch of oil in it then drained the oil & put fresh oil in it started the engine and fogged it out with marvel mystery oil kept pouring it in till the engine quit. We then drained everything out put in fresh oil cleaned the plugs and the engine ran good as new. The biggest problem with flooded cars is the electrical system which will never be the same. The engine, transmission, and rear should be good to go with new fluids. Good luck.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I once upon a time in 2009, ran off into a deep, well deeper than expected hole at the beach. Let's just say I was sitting in water in my recently purchased and lifted used 1999 Jeep Cherokee. Sitting in salt water that is. After getting towed out and towed home, the main fuse box fried and started smoking like crazy. This is after I let it sit for a few days to "dry out". I had to go to the junkyard and cut out a main fuse junction box to replace the original that fried. I wired in the new used one and all was good. About two days later, I went out to the garage to get something and I saw a flickering coming from inside the Cherokee. Mind you it was completely gutted.
The driver's rear tail light was shorting out and tried to catch on fire. I disconnected the battery and rewired that light. I got it to running condition, Linex the entire interior, drove the Cherokee for about 4 months around town. Every time I would get gas, people would ask if it was for sale. After 4 months of driving it and no fires or shorts, I sold it.
I have a feeling the salt bath was going to continue to be a problem.
Salt water and cars do not mix well.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the water level was at least over steering column height - that’s a lot of stuff under water … :frown:

Now if it was a dodge, it would have been a completely different story …

1671284829031.jpeg

:giggle:

WD :like:

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
If it was a midwest flood? Sure. Don't touch saltwater flood cars.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Does this pic indicate the water level? Somebody marked WL on the drivers door? That doesn't mean the water didn't splash higher or creep further up into other areas. People also lie. The only thing to do with this car is strip it bare and make a track monster or drag car out of it.
Screenshot_20221217-103135_Chrome.jpg

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
Understand that if it was salt water the salt will undoubtedly be impossible to be gotten rid off completely unless you strip the car to bare metal. It will affect all your wiring it will affect the computer it will effect the foam on the seats the leather on the seats and ultimately affect the body causing corrosion. You don’t want a flooded car much less one that’s flooded with salt water. But your money so you can do what ever you want with it.
This, and all of it. Best you can hope for is to recover the mechanical parts but they will need to be stripped and rebuilt to assure the salt is gone. None of the electronics can be trusted. None of the soft materials are any good. The body is toast. $40K sounds like a lot for what you might really get out of this, considering the work any of it will need.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Does this pic indicate the water level? Somebody marked WL on the drivers door? That doesn't mean the water didn't splash higher or creep further up into other areas. People also lie. The only thing to do with this car is strip it bare and make a track monster or drag car out of it.
Yes from they mark the water line from places like Copart etc. If it was that low and water did get in things seats and any wiring and modules would be effected at that level. also stagnate water and mold could be an issue I don't think the transmission and engine should be effected but something like this is more of an inspection before purchase kind of deal IMHO.

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
I'm flexible on accident damage, have even bought a couple of cars on rebuilt title (SC430 was excellent), but I have 1 rule - no flood cars. It may be fine for a while, but the wiring harness is going bad since day one. Wires corrode, they expand and then crack the insulation. Then you get shorts in places that no diagnostic tool can pinpoint beyond the connector, meanwhile the short is at the other end of the car. Beyond the obvious drive train, electronics, mold, etc issues, plan on a new wiring harness.

And don't count on them really knowing/telling how bad it was. I looked at one that said 'it only went to the carpet'. Outside was nice, new carpet, etc. I asked to keep it overnight, and took off a door panel. Water line was 2/3 up the door. Pulled out the glove box - waterline center of dash. Air box was full of dried mud. (Seller was apparently an idiot.) Took it back and said no thanks.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Look at the inside photos. Water was definitely way higher, like near the stereo. You can also look at the under hood photos, and see what is rusting up and what isn't. The water definitely looks like it was at/above the headlights.
Sponsored